2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

My Time Attack Diary

5K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  A.I. 
#1 · (Edited)
Last winter, after last summer`s track days i was totally bitten by a race bug so i decided to take a plunge in the world of motorsport and enter Finnish Time Attack series this year with my FN2.
I chose club class which is intented for cars that are road legal.

Pre season

Last year i was running with stock shocks, Eibach springs and camber bolts. Eibachs do feel better on street but i didn`t like the feel of them on track.
When cornering, first there was huge body roll, like the car was about to tip over then they stiffen up. I thought more linear feel would be better for track use so i decided to look for some coilover`s.
I came across with company called D2 which makes coilover`s and BBK`s amoung other things. Their coilover kit was reasonably priced so i decided to give it a go.
Installation was pretty straight forward, no major problems there. Same time in went also HEL braided brake lines and Selby rear sway bar.
But the biggest problem i had last summer, inner wheel spin, was still unsolved. Only thing i could do was bite the bullet and invest on Kaaz LSD.
At this point my credit card was so abused i had to leave engine as it is: HKS RSK, RRC, CPL racing mani, Miltek and Hondata FlashPro. Few extra hp would have been nice but not possible at this moment.

Few pics of D2 and Selby bar.

Suspension part Auto part Suspension Transmission part Machine
Auto part Suspension part Suspension Wheel
Auto part Machine Vehicle brake Brake Rotor
Suspension part Coil spring Shock absorber Suspension Auto part
Auto part Fuel line Vehicle Automotive fuel system Pipe
Vehicle Auto part Automotive exhaust Car Exhaust system

Round 1 Alastaro 7.5.2011

Suspension setup:

Front camber: -2deg
Front toe in: -1mm

Rear camber: -1.5deg
Rear toe in: +1.5mm

Tyres were Michelin Pilot Sport Cup.

Free Practice

Morning was quite chilly, only about +4c so i knew my tyres needed some time to get warm.
After few laps i was speechless. I didn`t believe i was driving same car than last summer. No understeer or inner wheel spin at all!!
To be honest car was bit too tail happy at first, i spinned once from about 100km/h and ended up on gravel. After some adjustment on rear shocks and tyre pressure i was able to make it more stable.

Qualifying 1&2

Next were two qualifying sessions, time to measure my speed against others.

Qualifying Top 4:

1.28.5 Honda Civic EK4 1.8
1.31.6 Audi TT RS
1.31.9 Me
1.33.3 Peugeot 106 S16

I was very pleased with the result, 340hp Audi was only 0.3 seconds away!

Superlap

On the Final i didn`t do so well. There was only one warming lap and i didn`t get my rear tyres warm enough. It made things bit tricky, as you can see on vid.

Final Top 4:

1.28.8 Honda Civic EK4 1.8
1.32.2 Audi TT RS
1.32.3 Peugeot 106 S16
1.32.5 Me

Overall i was quite happy with these results, it was my first race after all. D2 coilover`s worked well as did selby sway bar and Kaaz, totally transformed the car
After race i noticed i my brake discs were totally ruined. My current Ferodo DS 1.11 front pads seem to be working much higher temperature than DS 2500.
So, new discs are on shopping list next, any suggestions? Was thinking of EBC, maybe.

Lastly, few pics from track side.

Amasingly fast EK4
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Touring car racing Motorsport

Attachments

See less See more
2 10
#2 ·
Fantastic result! Expecially against the Audi. Well done! Looking forward to your next mods!

#4 ·
I think you did great! Especially if you look at the other cars and their lap times

#14 ·
Here is a great free app for track days and etc:

RaceChrono - The GPS Lap Timer

I`ve been using it for sometime now on my computer and Nokia cell with Qstarz Bluetooth GPS receiver and it provides very precise lap times.
It also allows you to fine tune your driving by recording various channels, including speed and lateral and longitudinal G`s.
Datalogging through OBD-II port is also possible, with proper reader.

Attachments

#15 ·
Last weekend i finally had time to install my new brake discs. Old ones are totally gone, full of small cracks and grooves.

New ones came with 8 grooves, black coating and are made by National. Less known company but i heard that they use same disc blanks as Pagid so they can`t be utter garbage. Price was little over 200€.

They will be fully tested next weekend in Time Attack round at Kemora circuit.

Attachments

#16 ·
Those little heat cracks you have on your disk are normal after track days. As long as they don't go all the way to the edges of the disk there is no problem in using the disk still. It's different story with drilled disks though.

After your brake pad upgrade, your brakes surface temperature was dramatically higher, but that's what you get from higher friction coefficient. :D

Slotted disks should keep you brakes more stable even when the pads are over heated (the start to produce gas that may cause pads to float).

We'll see in Kemora :)

Keep up racing!

#17 · (Edited)
Round 2 Kemora 11.6.2011

Here is a video about second qualifying session.

Qualifying results:

1: Mitsubishi EVO IV 1.20.580
2: Honda Civic EK4 1.22.435
3: Me with FN2 1.23.924
4: Audi TT RS 1.24.105
5: Subaru Impreza GT 1.24.111
6: BMW M3 1.24.482
7: Nissan 200sx 1.24.992
8: Subaru Impreza sti 1.25.736
9: BMW 325i 1.27.827
10: Toyota MR2 1.29.808
11: BMW 130i 1.30.208

Superlap was driven on wet conditions, totally new experience for me.

Superlap TOP 4

1: Mitsubishi EVO IV 1.31.771
2: Honda Civic EK4 1.33.047
3: Audi TT RS 1.33.894
4: Me with FN2 1.35.699

New brake discs worked very well compared to OEM discs.
I could brake much later and they did withstand more hot laps without fading.

Pics from the pit:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Luxury vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Audi Automotive design

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sedan Coupé

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.