2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Washer Bottle Cap

20K views 57 replies 25 participants last post by  sags 
#1 ·
I went to fill the bottle up today and forgot the cap is not on a safety strap and dropped the cap , the cap now sits nicely on the under shield. Any tips how to get it out ? There is no room to get my arm down to grab it.

#2 ·
Odd, mine has a long "snake" attached to it. Cant drop it unless I remove all 2foot of it..

Try reversing at a speed and slam on the anchors to see I it'll budge ut?

Late to the show as usual!

#8 ·
Have to admit I am guilty of dropping the washer cap as well. I could see it staring back at me from bottom of the engine.
It remained there for several weeks even after motorway driving.
The garage retrieved it for me when the car went in for a service (no extra charge of course).

#18 ·
how long is the snake please?

#12 ·
I can also confirm that the gen8 one does fit the gen9 and the plastic feels less flimsy, although the Parts department guy only ordered the washer bottle mouth cap and forgot to order the tube as well, but it still only cost £3.90 instead of £8.75!

#13 ·
DIY Retrieval

Hi All,

Just managed to retrieve my dropped cap using:

pen torch
wire coathanger

Having spotted the cap using the torch, I bent the coathanger to suit - including a very small "hook" at the end - and then "fished" the cap out in two stages.

My bubble of joy/satisfaction at my own ingenuity/dexterity was only burst by the recollection that I was the idiot who dropped the thing in the first place ;-)

Happy Fishing!

#20 ·
I bought a piece of tube from Ebay, about a quid.
Anyone know how long it needs to be?
thanks.

#27 ·
thanks for the measurement info.

#32 ·
Hi,
I had this problem too, first time I went to fill the bottle and the cap fell off . Landed just where I could not reach it . Luckily some years ago bought two very useful tools. One is like a long spring with a claw end that pops out . The other is a magnet on the end of a long springy thing . Ideal for picking up nuts etc , which always fall where you cannot reach them . Got them from Wilco Motor spares , I imagine most motor stores will sell them . I thought that Honda had re designed out the flaws on the 8G cars. Slipped up with this .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.