2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Topping up oil

4K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  veehexx 
#1 ·
Just interested to know if anyone has had to top up their oil yet.

Today, the "check oil level" warning appeared on my screen. I checked the oil with the dipstick and saw that the level was about 1/4 of the way between min and max.

I put in half a litre and now the level is near the max marker.

The car has done just under 5000 miles.

Has anyone else had to top up yet?

#2 ·
Only once but that was an early morning panic top up as I couldn't read the dipstick correctly.
Cat over on ctro says hers drinks the oil, but from what I've experienced & read of others, usage is next to nothing.
What yr is yours, the ones I know of being oil friendly seem to be the 1st batch 15 plates

#6 ·
Mine's never used a drop, again including a track day, now on nearly 11k, 2015, ex demo and it's has the first service.

David who is/was on 14k did a couple of laps of Europe and numerous track days and he never needed to top up.

I'm almost at the point of stopping checking it so often...

#8 ·
Mine has not used a drop. I check every 2 weeks when I do the tyre pressures. Had first service few weeks back. Mine is an ex demo 15 plate. Its funny really as my Accord used to drink oil like it was going out of fashion. And the K24 in that was built in the states. I think the engine in my civic is Europe built given its a first batch job.

#9 ·
Have not used a drop for the first 15000 km. Now had my first oil change.

#10 ·
Mentioned this to the service manager today, I said the oil usage is nothing but a few newer registered are experiencing a lot of usage, he said it all depends if you're bouncing it off the limiter, if you're red lining it a lot it will drink.
I think he's thinking previous type R's so I just agreed

#14 ·
The dipstick can be very deceiving, your looking for a sheen rather than a blob of oil.
It caught me out, I pulled the dipstick & had a brown blob around the min mark, I assumed it was low & gave it a glug but wasn't needed.
I adapted a spare dipstick (backfired) but I might take the spare one remove the orange & drill fine holes between min & max & give that a go, just had a service so I'm curious to see what level the dealer has gone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.