RS slower than Type R on Grand Tour - Civinfo

50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 106 (permalink) Old 25th December 2016, 21:50 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2016 CTR FK2 GT - Milano
RS slower than Type R on Grand Tour

Anyone seen the latest episode of Grand Tour? If so did you spot that the RS and Mustang were slower than the Type R. Was quite surprised!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 106 (permalink) Old 25th December 2016, 22:11

Car: CTR - FK2 R-03220
why surprise ? in many track the CTR is faster than RS and i'm sure that even the Cupra 290 would be more fast of RS, if they did a test,
btw the AWD RS disperses many hp and in my opinion the RS setup is not so good for the track like the CTR.
Stamford78 likes this.

Last edited by Akula; 25th December 2016 at 22:22.
post #3 of 106 (permalink) Old 26th December 2016, 06:17
nkb

Eco display
Garage
Surprise ? Only surprise was the too small gap between them in favor of type-r
post #4 of 106 (permalink) Old 26th December 2016, 08:25

The RS is much heavier and suffers from drive train losses. The brakes are not good enough for track use.
The CTR on the other hand, does not have the grippier tyres. The RS comes with the Mich Cup 2, I believe.
post #5 of 106 (permalink) Old 26th December 2016, 08:47
Supporter

Car: NHB FN2 CTR GT
These 4wd motors are quick off the line, doesn't make them quicker overall
nkb likes this.
post #6 of 106 (permalink) Old 26th December 2016, 09:30 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Just surprised me as a lot of the media trounce the FK2 when compared to the RS and then it beats it on track and nothing is said.

Personally I think the car is great. The only thing I don't like about it is the quiet exhaust.
post #7 of 106 (permalink) Old 26th December 2016, 11:56
Supporter

That's what a martelius exhaust is for 😊
sakebm likes this.
post #8 of 106 (permalink) Old 26th December 2016, 19:23 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typecamy View Post
That's what a martelius exhaust is for 😊
Haha. Last time i changed one thing... i carried on and on until it was suoercharged. I cant change anything. Im addicted
nkb likes this.
post #9 of 106 (permalink) Old 26th December 2016, 19:50
Supporter

I have only had it a couple of months and already starting to escalate. 😊

I'll post a video when it arrives.
post #10 of 106 (permalink) Old 26th December 2016, 20:24
Supporter

Car: 2.2 ctdi
too be honest ive never really took magazines and tv road tests that serious
ive been around fast bikes from before i was old enough to ride them legaly and i now most journalists and car experts are paid to right the correct reviews

ive had a amazon fire stick on my desk for around 6 to 8 weeks now never even broke the wrapper open must try get round to trying it some time
post #11 of 106 (permalink) Old 26th December 2016, 20:29
Clutch pedal guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaramanga View Post
ive been around fast bikes from before i was old enough to ride them legaly and i now most journalists and car experts are paid to right the correct reviews

ive had a amazon fire stick on my desk for around 6 to 8 weeks now never even broke the wrapper open must try get round to trying it some time
Totally agree. Its all willy waving anyway.
post #12 of 106 (permalink) Old 27th December 2016, 00:13
Supporter

Car: 2016, Polished Metal Type R
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaramanga View Post

Totally agree, interesting to see that pretty much every single test of the last round of Hot Hatches seems to have been done in the wet. How many times have you pulled up at a set of traffic lights and the bloke next to you has engaged launch control?

Total rubbish, they never show any on the move comparisons, which is a better representation of where these cars are going to meet and where all that launch control is wasted weight as is the 4wd. I know from experience the RS Megane despite being down on power to the FK2 is just as fast on the move. The only two that sit miles above the others are the A45 and RS3 due to silly power levels, everything else is very evenly matched.
Farqui and nkb like this.
post #13 of 106 (permalink) Old 28th December 2016, 16:42
nkb

Eco display
Garage
I always look after smaller not "big stars" reviewers they do better feedback of the cars especially hot hatches. This way I almost bought ford RS and than found some very interesting reviews not made by big names and this way I ended buying my first Honda. Best choice ever.
post #14 of 106 (permalink) Old 30th December 2016, 14:26
Deluded FK2 Owner

Car: 2015 CTR, Milano Red
Garage
I'm a bit annoyed that the FK2 Type R hasn't got a fair review from any of the big motoring journalists. It was slated by that bellend on Top Gear in a wet drag race and hasn't featured at all on the Grand Tour, despite beating the RS and Mustang around their test track. When you consider, it's the most powerful FWD car ever made, I would've thought that would warrant a decent review/ test as well... Doesn't matter in the end though I guess, we all made the right decision after all!
Stamford78 likes this.
post #15 of 106 (permalink) Old 30th December 2016, 14:43

Car: 2016 FK2R-GT- Polished Metal
I just don't get the hysteria regarding the RS. It just looks boring what with its 18 year old design that's barely changed. Sure it's fast off the line so I can see the appeal of 4wd and wish the Civic had that - but without the weight penalty. I've had my fair share of Fords before moving to Japanese cars. Thrown together using the cheapest components available. Because when you are making a car in the tens of millions every £1 saved makes a big difference. Stuff user satisfaction, QA and reliability.

If you really want 4wd at least go for an A45 or Audi RS. They won't go rusty within the first 10 years, but they will look the same as every other car on the road. Dull.

Better still use some imagination and buy something a bit different, like an FK2.
Synysterjmz likes this.

Last edited by Reeves999999; 30th December 2016 at 16:31.
post #16 of 106 (permalink) Old 30th December 2016, 15:10
Deluded FK2 Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves999999 View Post
I just don't get the hysteria regarding the RS. It just looks boring what with its 18 year old design that's barely changed. Sure it's fast off the line so I can see the appeal of 4wd and wish the Civic had that - but without the weight penalty. I've had my fair share of Fords before moving to Japanese cars. Thrown together using the cheapest components available. Because when you are making a car in the tens of millions every £1 saved makes a big difference. Stuff user satisfaction, QA and reliability.

If you really want 4wd at least go for an A45 or Audi RS. They won't go rusty within the first 10 years.

Better still use some imagination and buy something a bit different, like an FK2.
What I like about the Grand Tour lap times is that it shows the AWD system not being "all that" and that the "less" FWD configuration can match it, or in the FK2's case, beat it.
post #17 of 106 (permalink) Old 30th December 2016, 16:03
nkb

Eco display
Garage
We did the right choice. FK2 will become historical model regardless of future 2nd hand value. I won't sell mine next 10 years. I don't think many new-RS owners can say the same.
Synysterjmz likes this.

Last edited by nkb; 30th December 2016 at 16:06.
post #18 of 106 (permalink) Old 30th December 2016, 16:53
Deluded FK2 Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkb View Post
We did the right choice. FK2 will become historical model regardless of future 2nd hand value. I won't sell mine next 10 years. I don't think many new-RS owners can say the same.
I'll aim to have my R on the drive, even when I'm old a decrepit =P
nkb likes this.
post #19 of 106 (permalink) Old 6th January 2017, 20:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves999999 View Post

If you really want 4wd at least go for an A45 or Audi RS. They won't go rusty within the first 10 years, but they will look the same as every other car on the road. Dull.

To be honest moving from a Civic to the RS the build quality is no different. Certainly the interior in the RS is a lot better made than my FN2. Honda haven't had the quality for years, since they started building them in the U.K. The RS is an 18 year old design in the same way the FK2 design is old though. FK2 is just a rebodied Fn2, neither are totally new cars.

The RS is heavier by a lot and I'm sure on track it's quicker but I think on a road that'd be closer. The FK2 suspension is much harder than the RS, much more crashy. I think the RS is easier to drive faster as well.

Overall both are good cars. The Type R has been hammered price wise by poor sales. Plus to me the Type R looks ridiculous. It looks like a throw back to the 90s days. I mean, who designed the body kit? Mynheer? Carisma?

As for people selling the RS, you can't really compare the history of the RS cars to Honda, the RS have been around for 40 years, first Type R was when, 95? The older RS have a huge following. There aren't many 40 year old Hondas selling hot over £100k!
post #20 of 106 (permalink) Old 6th January 2017, 23:00
Clutch pedal guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkb View Post
No it won't, its the same platform as the FN2. Nothing special about the chassis.
Thank You to hondacivicnut from 2 Users:

Civinfo > Civic Type R > 9G Type R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page