2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Should I let the seat wear put me off?

9K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  flat2thefloor 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I'm so close to buying an FK2, due to see the one in the link below at the weekend and potentially make a deal on it.

However, my father-in-law pointed out in the pictures that the driver's seat is wrinkled and worn. This has kinda put me off the car a little. A car nearly 18 months old shouldn't have wear like this, none of the others I've seen with more than 10k miles on the clock show any signs of wear. The only thing I can think of is the previous owner was a large person... I have a very early FN2, 56 plate and the seats look good as new still. I'm tall too, over 6ft.

Am I being daft in letting seats put me off? I called the garage and they have confirmed there is wear on both seats but worse on the driver's seat. Is there anything anyone knows to get the wrinkles out and I guess dying the seats again would be the only way to restore the black? I had thought about asking them for 2 replacement seats and seeing how badly they want to sell the car to me!

Here is the car - Approved

Cheers

Will

See less See more
#13 ·
I wouldn't let it bother you, people don't realise the height of the bolsters until they've sat in one, 1st few wks of ownership I had a huge black bruise down the back of my thigh.
Mine was going shiny, I took some watered down carpet shampoo & gently cleaned with a microfiber, came up new

#14 ·
I wouldn't call that wear as such, looks to me like the bolster has been sat on, with people getting in and out or just having a mooch.

I'm 6ft and I have 7k on my FK2 and my seats look like they did on day 1. Take everything the dealer says with a pinch of salt, they just want the sale, if you are not happy walk away.

Could always iron the wrinkles out on a low setting??

#15 ·
If it was my £25k I wouldn't be happy with the state of that seat.

I appreciate the FN2 seats are not as highly bolstered but mine has done 69k miles and they are in much better condition.

As stated above it looks like people have sat on the side bolster or the owner was of the wider persuasion and his outer right thigh has been rubbing the material until it's sagged.

#19 ·
You can't help the seat getting creases, people need to sit in one to understand how easy it is to sit on the bolster.
The bolster height & the low ness of the car you can't help catching the bolster, its nothing like getting in the Fn2, you have the bolster, steering wheel, seat uprights & the lowness to contend with, it's a not a pretty sight getting in & out if one.

Nothing to with size or an unkept car

#20 ·
Iv'e learn't over the years with my DC5/FD2 and it's the same with the FK2, put the seat back,bum in over the bolster, then left leg in, swivel round and then right leg in, seat forward...... LOL.......It works for me Hahaha :)

I can see how easy it is to flatten the bolster by someone not used to these type of seats :(

T.G.

#21 ·
Do the seat bolsters need to be so high?

Sure they help keep you in position but don't the seat back bolters do the brunt of the work?

I've seen folks initially complain that they were uncomfortable. Did they just get used to them?

#28 ·
now you've pointed it out, you might be onto something. no idea why they need to be so high as every time i've fallen out, its been my top half, on right handers (so you fall out of the 3point belt). I'm toying with the idea of a 4point harness. Looks straight forward to fit but will require removing/modifying trim bits for the mount points.

I've never had comfort issues. been very comfortable from day one and can do a 3hour drive in it without stopping...then the bladder gives out and i gotta stop :D

9.7k/14months on mine, and no where near that level of wear. I wouldnt expect it to look like that at 50k/5year either.

i do wear soft jeans (typically Wrangler Arazona's) with flat rivets. not sure if that helps substantially. left leg in, arse down, and right leg sits in the back edge cutout where there is no side leg bolster and then rotate right leg in. Doesnt seem to give any pressure on the bolster and it's not worn, so it works for me.

Reactions: Farqui
#23 ·
I checked mine tonight & they're not as bad as the one in the link, just mild creasing on mine.
My best technique was the old man technique, back up arse in & swing legs around avoiding the bolsters, but for some reason I've gone back to leg in, squeeze & flop which probably explains the creasing

#24 ·
I just flop/ throw myself in- but I'm suffering with ciatica at the moment, so that's the least painful technique. That said, the bolsters on mine look like new- just a tiny bit of creasing/ shiny stuff.

#29 ·
I had pretty much talked myself out of a Type R last night! Other 0% deals are extremely tempting... But, driving to work this morning, of all the cars to pull out in front of me, a 66 plate, red Type R. What a thing of beauty!

I'm going to go and look at the black Type R at Chelmsford on Saturday and see first hand what the seats are like. Maybe they can be sorted. Worst case scenario, I get to go for a drive in it!

#30 ·
There are a few 'R's around now on the used market, so you can still shop around. All else fails try and strike a deal, ask for money off, free service plan or something. Don't ask, don't get!

To get in, I put one foot in, side my self into the seat, the swing the right foot in which lands near the throttle peddle.

On a daily drive the large bolsters are not needed, but Ive been up the hill in an FK2 at Cholmondeley Power & Speed Festival last year, and the seat held me superbly well despite the corning speed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.