Clutch issue - Civinfo

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 4th April 2017, 16:08 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2007 Honda Civic Type R
Clutch issue

Anyone had an issue with the clutch on the FK2?

Everytime I start her up I can smell a buring clucth, and I'm adamant that when under heavy is accerlation in 2nd and 3rd its slipping.

Anyone eles had this?

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 4th April 2017, 16:22

If you think your clutch is knackered,it probably is.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 4th April 2017, 18:27
regrets his username

Car: 1.6 focus RS
Thanked 1,420 Times in 1,180 Posts
Nothing like that on mine but sometimes when I use the clutch i can feel what feels like rd noise through the pedal, only happens every now & then
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 4th April 2017, 18:39
Supporter

Car: 2015 CTR FK2
Garage
something wrong with my gearbox/clutch. when hot, gear change feels horrible - really notchy and unsmooth. no noticable clutch drag or grinding gears, but could be just enough drag to make the change feel bad.

based off a civicturbo thread with same symptoms, that resulted in a clutch&flywheel replacement under warranty - something about tolerances i think which was signed off by HUK warranty team. i have a feeling it'll take a bit of poking the dealer to escalate it, but at least there's a thread i can print off to prove the outcome of another owner.

when it next happens for me, i want to turn engine off and feel gear change then. also pump clutch pedal to eliminate a hydraulic side to it.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 4th April 2017, 20:05

Just got mine and when reversing I can smell the clutch.
Seems to have gone over the last few days tho.
I can also.feel road vibrations th4ough the pedal but put it down to firm mounts.
Oh and my steering wheel.is slightly **** eyed to the right haha
Changing tyres soon so will mention it then.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 7th April 2017, 12:18
Supporter

Car: 2016 CTR GT Milano Red
Does anyone experience a whining sound when accelerating? I've noticed it and was wondering if anyone else has experienced it?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 7th April 2017, 12:20
GC

Car: 2016 FK2R - Crystal Black
Yeah subtle one. Doesn't worry me.

Usually just the Mrs whining I'm driving badly.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 8th April 2017, 20:14

Yeah just posted the same 're. Whine.
It's a mare on the motorway
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 15th April 2017, 12:08 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Car: 2007 Honda Civic Type R
So Ive been testing for a while now and I found some things out.

Firstly the slipping only seems to happen when I have the Remous Responder turned on. The slipping happens between 2 / 3 thousands revs. With the Responder on the yellow level it only happens under heavy accerlation, with it on red its quite obvious. Now put the car in R mode without the Responder on you get the same action slipping between 2 /3 thousand revs.

Now am I being a twit or does the Responder only improve throttle response? if so is the cluch is giving up but just not as much as I thought?

I was going to take it into honda on Tuesday but I thinking they will just say take the Responder off. Thats what I would say.

Mark
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 15th April 2017, 14:08
Supporter

Car: 2015 CTR FK2 CW
If its doing it in +R mode without the responder then leave it off and take it in?
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 17th April 2017, 00:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by veehexx View Post
something wrong with my gearbox/clutch. when hot, gear change feels horrible - really notchy and unsmooth. no noticable clutch drag or grinding gears, but could be just enough drag to make the change feel bad.

based off a civicturbo thread with same symptoms, that resulted in a clutch&flywheel replacement under warranty - something about tolerances i think which was signed off by HUK warranty team. i have a feeling it'll take a bit of poking the dealer to escalate it, but at least there's a thread i can print off to prove the outcome of another owner.

when it next happens for me, i want to turn engine off and feel gear change then. also pump clutch pedal to eliminate a hydraulic side to it.
Hi Veehex, I've just started to experience this, have you spoken to the dealer yet? Also could you point me in the right direction of the thread you intend to print off please.

I'm gonna give them a ring tomorrow. Its defo heat related but with mine when it's really hot I cannot select first gear and second is a struggle. as soon it cools down its perfect again. Not good when your sat a traffic light and it wont go in gear
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 17th April 2017, 08:43

Car: FD2R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpy200 View Post
Hi Veehex, I've just started to experience this, have you spoken to the dealer yet? Also could you point me in the right direction of the thread you intend to print off please.

I'm gonna give them a ring tomorrow. Its defo heat related but with mine when it's really hot I cannot select first gear and second is a struggle. as soon it cools down its perfect again. Not good when your sat a traffic light and it wont go in gear
http://www.civicturbo.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=635

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
veehexx likes this.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 17th April 2017, 09:22
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpy200 View Post

i'm booked in this upcoming thursday for initial investigation.

also, when you do have issues, turn engine off and change gear; mine returns back to normal feel when engine off. whatever the problem is, i doubt it's gearbox.
My dealer has poor communication between the service desk monkeys and mechanics, so i'll be writing a note for the mechanics to help them directly.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 17th April 2017, 09:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by veehexx View Post
i'm booked in this upcoming thursday for initial investigation.

also, when you do have issues, turn engine off and change gear; mine returns back to normal feel when engine off. whatever the problem is, i doubt it's gearbox.
My dealer has poor communication between the service desk monkeys and mechanics, so i'll be writing a note for the mechanics to help them directly.

Mine is normal once the engine is off. I'm thinking there is a problem with the fingers on the pressure plate, when the clutch gets warm the are becoming weak and not disengaging the clutch properly. I'm thinking of going direct to Honda UK as I don't have much confidence in my local dealer. I took it in a couple of weeks ago for condensation in the rear lights. Left it 1.5hrs they said we cant see any it must have cleared. I went out lifted the boot and they were full of condensation along the top. Great inspection carried out... I think not.

Last edited by Sharpy200; 17th April 2017 at 09:54.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 17th April 2017, 10:06
Supporter

Garage
poor show
i've got a similar dialema with my dealer (Coventry). so far mine has been in 4 times (thursday will be 5th time) for various work and had to be rebooked twice to fix some faults. ***, you have my number, ring me! dont ignore it and wait for me to mention it when it's not fixed. They do actually fix stuff without much hassle once i point & grunt at the fault :P

Solihull denied a wet weather testdrive of the FK2 when i looked at buying, so even though they get 4.8* on google reviews, i wouldnt want to use 'em. despite pulling up in the first gen s2000 (no TCS etc), it felt like he thought i was just looking for a joy ride in it (he did say he's been getting a lot of them), with no driving skill or intention of actually buying.

fecking dealers. Coventry is just about good enough that i've not looked else where, but i feel your pain.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 17th April 2017, 10:13

Its not good is mate. I'll have to keep pressing them which they wont like but on car not yet 1.5yr old they should be jumping up and doing everything they can to sort it🤔 my local dealer is 45mins away the next one is 1 1/4 hrs but they are part of the same group so im pretty screwed. If Honda would let me I'd just do it myself atleast i know it would be done properly. Keep me posted with how you get on please mate and I'll do the same.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sharpy200; 17th April 2017 at 10:16.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 17th April 2017, 10:46
GC

Car: 2016 FK2R - Crystal Black
The dealers are the factor that stops me getting another new Honda again. I didn't even buy mine outright and still wouldn't want to deal with the hassle.
If I had any intention of keeping the car past 3 years I'd probably push them harder.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 20th April 2017, 15:52
Supporter

Garage
car in dealer, problem reproduced and they agree it's something clutch.
It's one of those jobs they need to pull the box out to know if it's worn from abuse or warranty claim, but i'm confident it'll be the latter.

they're keeping the car overnight and starting the strip down tomorrow.
while I am expecting an update from the dealer tomorrow to confirm it's not worn, i'm not expecting an agreed solution from HUK warranty guys until next week.

back on the old iron horse...
Sharpy200 likes this.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 20th April 2017, 18:11
regrets his username

Car: 1.6 focus RS
Thanked 1,420 Times in 1,180 Posts
Even if it's wear & tear would a "race car for the road" (Hondas quote) wear that quickly, surely it has a decent clutch in it
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 20th April 2017, 19:02
Supporter

Garage
yep, I agree. plus worn clutch (assuming the rest of the system is ok) would mean slip and/or smell.

I guess we'll see tomorrow, hopefully.

Civinfo > Civic Type R > 9G Type R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page