2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Paint work patch job

823 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Scotty182 
#1 · (Edited)
Non civic general bodywork question here,

My girlfriend scraped the side of her Aygo on a bus lightly scraping the front and rear arches and scuffing the door.

For some reason I'll never quite understand her mother and worryingly my potential future mother-in-law decided to forego bodyshop and SMART repairers, and me (I've done a bit of paint/body repairs myself in the past) and brought a can of grey metallic paint.

Well you know where this is going... She painted the damaged areas without any prep. When I say any prep, I'm not even sure if the car was washed properly before this onslaught as the resulting matt finish has a oilly texture to it.

The results are too horrific to publish, but she even managed to get paint on the fuel filler cap. Looks like the can wasn't shaken as the paint gets darker in shade as where she started it looks much more like heavy metallic flake.

I've attached some pictures of what the car looked like before. Something I could have tackled to get back to a reasonable standard... The gf is a new driver so these things happen hence full bodyshop was deemed a bit too costly.

What suggestions does anyone have? Its way to expensive for a full bodyshop repair. I'm thinking lightly fine sanding the repainted areas to get back to the original and damaged paint then tackling the original damage and dents.

Shooting the in-law isn't an option...

See less See more
#3 ·
Well, looks like it WOULD have been an hour or so - with very fine wet'n'dry emery paper, a can of primer and a can of topcoat (a little filler as well ?) ...

Bigger \ longer job now ! - I'd take off all the "bodge" and sand \ fill \ sand and take it from there ...

Done well - lots of thin coats - a 'home job' should be fine - assuming you have somewhere dry and warm enough to do it ...

#4 ·
If you've got the experience and tools/workspace to do the job; i'd crack on haha
Just LOTS of prep and take it layer by layer

However PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE post some pics of how it looks now !! :popcorn:
As it's non-civic no one will judge hehe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.