Custom APK installation? - Civinfo

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 248 (permalink) Old 1st April 2015, 13:42 Thread Starter

Car: 2015 Civic Sport 1.6 i-DTEC
Question Custom APK installation?

So I have a brand new 2015 Civic Sport 1.6 i-DTEC with Honda Connect and was wondering if it was possible to install custom APK files onto the android head unit...

Reason being; I was thinking that if I could install the Waze app (which is ICS compatible: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/waze/waze-waze/) I could then tether the device to my iPhone's personal hotspot to provide internet access and get a full, traffic-enabled sat-nav, with reporting. Which would be kinda cool!

I can get into the android menu and select the install apk option, it even finds the waze apk file on the USB. Then it pops up a screen with an "Install" button, but it's greyed out. Not really sure why, other than Honda don't want you to install custom stuff... Wondered if there was a way "around" this issue...?
Cf75 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 248 (permalink) Old 1st April 2015, 14:19
Supporter

Car: 2009 2.2 SE Silver
Tick unknown sources under settings/security on the devic.
post #3 of 248 (permalink) Old 1st April 2015, 15:42 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickey View Post
Tick unknown sources under settings/security on the devic.
That was the first thing I tried, but nope (it was already ticked), no luck... Has anyone else had any success in installing custom APKs?
post #4 of 248 (permalink) Old 1st April 2015, 16:16
Supporter

Car: 2009 FN3
Garage
This is probably locked down by the firmware. You'd probably need root access to allow it.

Have you looked on xda? See if anybody has been able to gain root access on it and how easy it'd be?
post #5 of 248 (permalink) Old 1st April 2015, 16:17
Bog
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
I honestly don't think you will be able too... Honda won't allow for safety reasons plus the fact if you can install apps from the Play Store, they won't be able to make money from selling their own apps.
post #6 of 248 (permalink) Old 1st April 2015, 16:57 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by purekillforce View Post
This is probably locked down by the firmware. You'd probably need root access to allow it.

Have you looked on xda? See if anybody has been able to gain root access on it and how easy it'd be?
Yeah, you're probably right. I had a quick search on XDA and couldn't find anything at all referencing the Honda system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bog View Post
I honestly don't think you will be able too... Honda won't allow for safety reasons plus the fact if you can install apps from the Play Store, they won't be able to make money from selling their own apps.
Yeah, it's nothing to do with safety in my mind and all to do with making a profit. Can't blame them, everyone else does the same thing.

I'm sure it's a matter of time before someone is prepared to play around with it a bit and figure it all out.
post #7 of 248 (permalink) Old 4th April 2015, 16:05

Again one more reason to buy a double din with android auto. Cheaper and totally free. And you keep all functions!
I still have to see what's the advantage of this new Honda Connect compared to the 2012-2014 units with satnav? If I cannot install apps, what is it good for?
post #8 of 248 (permalink) Old 5th April 2015, 00:26
Lithium Flower

Car: '11 Impreza R Special
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderdome View Post
Again one more reason to buy a double din with android auto. Cheaper and totally free. And you keep all functions!
I still have to see what's the advantage of this new Honda Connect compared to the 2012-2014 units with satnav? If I cannot install apps, what is it good for?
Pioneer have 2 new headunits that have android auto.
The cheap one is $750 australian dollars, the expensive one is $1150

So not really cheap and seeing as this headunit may be the same globally with a few tweaks it wont take long for someone at XDA to do something.
post #9 of 248 (permalink) Old 5th April 2015, 06:08
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,246 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderdome View Post
I'm beginning to think just the same. The Garmin is locked down so you can't upload your own POI's and it only has the inferior TMC RDS traffic instead of the far superior Garmin digital traffic supplied by Inrix.
At the moment my initial intention of p/x next March is on hold.

If they don't want you to meddle then fair enough but at least have a SD card slot, like Merc do, that you can load POI's and other stuff to that can be pointed to. Plus why they didn't include digital traffic beats me.

No turn by turn info on the eye level iMid = having to take your eyes off the road
post #10 of 248 (permalink) Old 5th April 2015, 08:29
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Car: CRV EX / CRZ GT
Thanked 1,133 Times in 955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
At the moment my initial intention of p/x next March is on hold.

I would wait a little longer anyway, the 9G is a good car but by march will be 4 years old and compared to the 8G has struggled for sales which is either down to looks, price or recession but could be a bit of everything. Either way there is rumours non of which are from Honda but they are rumours of a 10G Civic going into production late next year and even though you may find this hard to belive look at the 7G Civic that had a facelift in 2004 and then the 8G arrived in late 2005 while this was only produced from 2001 - 2005. Looking at those time scales and the poor sales of the 9G compared to the 8G plus the fact the 9G also got a model range tweak in 2014 with another major range push and slight facelift for 2015 then there might be more to this than you think as by next year the 9G will be 4 years old which was when the 7G was replaced even though the 8G lasted longer but this also sold very well.

I will also add Honda will not confirm anything until the show off the Euro 10G Civic as to be fair they are in business to sell cars and the last thing they want is people to stop buying the facelift 9G because they have confirmed in 18 months the 10G model will arrive.

Last edited by RickHondaR; 5th April 2015 at 08:35.
post #11 of 248 (permalink) Old 5th April 2015, 14:05
Lithium Flower

Car: '11 Impreza R Special
Eco display Eco display
Garage
You still might be able to install things, you will just need a laptop to do it.
and if the USB connect enables you to connect a PC to it.

If you can enable developer mode which is done by tapping the model info line in general>about 7 times.

Then you need to enable USB Debugging.
Once you have done that, connect the headunit to a PC.
Open a command prompt and type in adb reboot bootloader
Then it is just a matter of typing in adb install app name.apk
Thanks to Grayfox from:
post #12 of 248 (permalink) Old 7th April 2015, 12:01 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayfox View Post
You still might be able to install things, you will just need a laptop to do it.
and if the USB connect enables you to connect a PC to it.

If you can enable developer mode which is done by tapping the model info line in general>about 7 times.

Then you need to enable USB Debugging.
Once you have done that, connect the headunit to a PC.
Open a command prompt and type in adb reboot bootloader
Then it is just a matter of typing in adb install app name.apk
I'll give this a go!
post #13 of 248 (permalink) Old 7th April 2015, 12:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siyfion View Post
I'll give this a go!
Please report, I`ll get my Civic next week and I hope this works...
post #14 of 248 (permalink) Old 7th April 2015, 13:26 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I can't seem to enable developer mode

I tried going into Settings -> Android -> About and tapping repeated on pretty much all the options in there and didn't have any luck. I also had a look around the rest of the system but couldn't find anything else that looked likely...

EDIT: Also for the version of android that's on the unit, it should just be there:
http://www.kingoapp.com/root-tutoria...on-android.htm

Last edited by Siyfion; 7th April 2015 at 13:33.
post #15 of 248 (permalink) Old 12th April 2015, 16:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickHondaR View Post
I would wait a little longer anyway, the 9G is a good car but by march will be 4 years old and compared to the 8G has struggled for sales which is either down to looks, price or recession but could be a bit of everything. Either way there is rumours non of which are from Honda but they are rumours of a 10G Civic going into production late next year and even though you may find this hard to belive look at the 7G Civic that had a facelift in 2004 and then the 8G arrived in late 2005 while this was only produced from 2001 - 2005. Looking at those time scales and the poor sales of the 9G compared to the 8G plus the fact the 9G also got a model range tweak in 2014 with another major range push and slight facelift for 2015 then there might be more to this than you think as by next year the 9G will be 4 years old which was when the 7G was replaced even though the 8G lasted longer but this also sold very well.

I will also add Honda will not confirm anything until the show off the Euro 10G Civic as to be fair they are in business to sell cars and the last thing they want is people to stop buying the facelift 9G because they have confirmed in 18 months the 10G model will arrive.
I think it's recession plus the lack of 1.6 diesel (which finally arrived). And bad marketing, Honda simply does not to effective marketing, unlike German brands who live out of it.

Do you have a link to those rumours? Late next year, means it starts selling in 2017...
post #16 of 248 (permalink) Old 17th April 2015, 15:23
Supporter

I have tried most things but rooting so far:

Can't download from App Store. Handbook says you can install APK's from USB stick - failed. I can get system to see them but will not install.Shame really the Dealer really plugged this system and I must admit being an Android guy I fell for it but it's not all it's cracked up to be
post #17 of 248 (permalink) Old 17th April 2015, 17:08 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I have tried most things but rooting so far:

Can't download from App Store. Handbook says you can install APK's from USB stick - failed. I can get system to see them but will not install.Shame really the Dealer really plugged this system and I must admit being an Android guy I fell for it but it's not all it's cracked up to be
Yeah it's certainly a bit disappointing, but I'm sure someone will figure it out sooner or later.
post #18 of 248 (permalink) Old 9th June 2015, 13:28
Supporter

Car: 2015 1.6 civic tourer sr
Eco display
Send a message via AIM to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via MSN to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via Skype™ to IWANTACIVIC
Any news on getting apps on the my15 head unit ?
post #19 of 248 (permalink) Old 9th June 2015, 15:06
Bog
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANTACIVIC View Post
Any news on getting apps on the my15 head unit ?
It's not going to happen anytime soon... Honda will have locked it completely... Equally I guarantee there will not be many (if any) 'Official' apps available to download.
post #20 of 248 (permalink) Old 11th June 2015, 23:01
Supporter

Car: 2015 1.6 civic tourer sr
Eco display
Send a message via AIM to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via MSN to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via Skype™ to IWANTACIVIC
That's a pitty

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Electronics and ICE (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page