2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Hardwire a Thinkware F50 dash cam to 9G 2016 Civic Tourer

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  goobs 
#1 · (Edited)
I've just had a Thinkware F50 delivered with hard wire only power cable. I plan to use it with Parking mode enabled as well as with ignition.

The cable has a U shape earth-ground connector, a yellow battery wire and red ACC wire (both no termination).

What is the best way to wire this to the fuse box ?

Do I need any other connectors ?

#3 ·
Thinkware had a wiring mix up on the early F770's, so the red/yellow wires were actually reversed.

One is for switched ignition live and the other for parking recording which should be hooked to a constant live feed. Don't necessarily believe the label on the wires.

As I don't use the parking option (disabled in the device) I hooked both yellow/red wires to an ignition switched supply. Easy.

With weak Civic electrics I don't recommend you hook up the constant power supply UNLESS you have another power source.

If you want to ID which colour wired is switched and permanent, then the hook both up initially and wait for the camera to boot. Disconnect one wire and if the camera stays on for more than 5 sec's or so then that's the permanent wire.

#4 ·
So without a rechargeable battery power source you wouldn't recommend setting a dash cam up for parking mode ?

TBH that's the only reason I bought the F50 over any other sub £100 dashcam so might return it if that's the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I knew about the option to switch off at a set voltage and figured if I set it to 12.5 volts then try parking mode on a weekend, to avoid having a flat when going to work, unless anyone knows the minimum a 1.6 DTEC needs to start I would try lowering the cutoff each weekend to see what I can get away with.

Regarding the option connector, where can I pick one of those up from ?

I was hoping to fit the cam this weekend.

#10 · (Edited)
I am fitting the option connector and have 12v with ignition on but can't seem to get the battery constant working. I've wired bottom left and bottom right to 2 spade connectors and the multimeter only registers 1 wire 12v with ignition on. Did they change the battery 12v connector for the 2016 civic ?
Either that or my wiring is duff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.