Alarm HELP - Alarm / Battery - Civinfo
Civinfo

16.jpg

Help Rules Search Clothing Stickers Surveys Wiki Forum
Go Back   Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic > Electronics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27th June 2010, 11:04   #1 (permalink)

Thanks given: 0
HELP - Alarm / Battery

Hi.
I had the dead battery situation a month ago (After jump, alarm sounding), Civic was put on the back of a breakdown lorry & carted off to Honda. As this is not under warranty I was holding my breath. They replaced the battery for 80 and that was it... Result!

However yesterday I left the key in the ignition.... This morning it was dead totally. But I had got a spare battery so changed it. Problem was I forgot about the key in the ignition and you guessed it - Alarm problem again (& little red light on dash).

I can start the car & lock etc, but still the alarm goes off.

Honda must have some kind of reset for this (as they didn't charge me last time) - Anyone help?

Thanks

Joe
twojoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27th June 2010, 15:21   #2 (permalink)

Thanks given: 1
Having just returned from a 4 month trip away I find myself in a similar situation. The battery went dead sometime during my absence and now the immobilser won't reset and the car won't start.

Does anyone know of any way to re-sync the keys to the alarm system (without paying my local Honda Stealership 80 + callout)

Thanks in advance

Steve
steveg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 11:29   #3 (permalink)
** Thread starter **  

Did speak to Honda who said to close all the doors, then try to lock & unlock several times (using the key - not the remote) and 9/10 times this would fix. Guess I'm the 1/10!
So in order to drive the car, I had to gain access to the siren & unplug it. This worked and I drove the car to them this morning... See what they say...
Old 29th June 2010, 15:18   #4 (permalink)

Wow, I only wish my Honda dealers where that helpful. Their answer is always, without fail, it'll cost you 50+VAT for us to checks whats up. Never have they offered any sort of helpful tips / hints.

Anyway, rant over, I've just paid them their pound of flesh to reset the keys but the siren is still sounding off randomly. Here's the peach, apparently if you try and jump start these new Civics with the key in the ignition (how you'd jump start a car with out the key in the ingnition is beyond me) then there is a possibility that it will blow your 667+VAT siren.

There is no warning of this in the manual but apparently it's a well known issue. Does anyone out there have any suggestions, citizens advice? Cos this seems really dodgy to me.
Old 29th June 2010, 17:38   #5 (permalink)

Car: '08 1.8 5d Blueish silver
Thanks given: 31
As far as I remember it was posted on the forum this problem exists on early cars (2006) and newer ones should be safe.
dcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 18:38   #6 (permalink)
** Thread starter **  

Well the Dealer has rung to say the Siren has gone, they are going to contact Honda UK to see if they can offer anything. No price was mentioned - but if it's 667+VAT for a siren, then 1) I'll be checking the legal position & 2) I'll live with it disconnected!
I can't see how the same "fault" was fixed last time, this time not. Also how can it be fit for purpose if can be "blown" by just either a jump, connection of the battery or just turning over when the battery is near dead......

The other thing is... Surely it can't be the siren, that works! It's got to be the alarm system? (When it locks it still flashes the lights etc).

Grrrrrrr....
Old 29th June 2010, 19:11   #7 (permalink)

Mine is exactly the same. Remote locking / immobiliser work fine (but I'm led to believe they're part of the same system) but the siren is constantly sounding off, hence why it's now been removed.

If you have any more luck please post.

Oh yeah (it may have been posted but) HUK contact number - 01753 590500, ask for customer relations.

Steve
Old 29th June 2010, 20:38   #8 (permalink)

When the ignition keys are left in the ignition and jump leads are connected to the vehicle it causes an electrical disturbance (chattering) to the +B voltage, this disturbance causes a problem with the data within the EEPROM. The MICU sees the data problem and re-writes the whole EEPROM contents which also overwrites the key when you try to start the car the immobiliser does not recognise the key and prevents the engine from starting. The siren assembly may also recieve the same electrical disturbance which damages the circuits causing it to malfunction. this applies to 06 civics as the eeprom sofware was updated in 2007 to give better protection to the sirens electorics. however it is still possible to damage the siren post 2007 just less likely.
beefy_634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks to beefy_634 from:
Old 29th June 2010, 20:42   #9 (permalink)
** Thread starter **  

beefy,
Sounds like you know your stuff on this.
Is this a known fault within Honda then?

Regards

Joe
Old 29th June 2010, 20:44   #10 (permalink)
** Thread starter **  

Just wondering if there is any reference number etc to quote customer service if they say there is no known fault (As they did when my handbrake failed, rolled over my foot and into my bins!).
Old 29th June 2010, 21:00   #11 (permalink)

your local dealer is aware of this as they have put a claim in, DTS is allso aware of the problem. as i say there was a technical bulliten in 2006 so most if all civics by now should of had a sofware update since. lets see what HUK say about the siren as your local dealer has been kind enough to put a claim in for you. keep in touch with your dealer and see how things go from there. is your car out of warrantie?
beefy_634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 21:07   #12 (permalink)
** Thread starter **  

Thanks, good to know that there is some recognition of the issue. Yes it's out of warrantee now, but if it's an inherent fault I should be able to claim under the sales of goods act. Lets see what they say - if anyone has the reference no to the technical bulletin that would be handy for me & others.
Cheers

Joe
Old 30th June 2010, 12:56   #13 (permalink)
** Thread starter **  

Well, as an act of good will due the really low mileage of my car, they are willing to contribute to the costs of the part - which has lowed the price to sub-300.
I rang them myself and was told there was no such known fault and asked me where I got my information from (which I refused). I'm happy not to be paying the full amount - but wonder if even this is right - we are supposed to be protected from this kind of thing via the sales of goods act.... Well I thought so....
Old 12th July 2010, 10:25   #14 (permalink)

Car: 07 Type S
help

hi guys, ive got a similar problem. ive just exported my 2007 type S to new Zealand, after taking 3 months to get here it arrived with a flat battery. the car will start and runs as normal and the doors lock and unlock as normal. however the alarm doesn't activate when locked. no flashing indicators and you can lock someone in and they can unlock from the inside with out the alarm sounding. would love an answer from you guys to avoid going to honda as they quoted my 750 NZ$ (375) for rear brake pads!!!!
star_ranger54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2014, 19:58   #15 (permalink)

Another Fix

I had a similar problem with my 06 Honda Civic immediately after a battery change - alarm goes off when the ground lead is connected and tried many of the procedures posted online without success.

Amongst many other attempts, I sorted it out in 4 steps by:

1.) leaving the engine running with all the doors closed (including the bonnet). The alarm turned off by itself after ~15 ear chattering minutes (I guess after the car battery had charged the battery in the siren?)

I found after this procedure, the alarm would go off when I unlock the doors with the fob. This was resolved by:
2.) pressing and holding the unlock button for the first alarm cycle.

At this point, I thought the car was done embarrassing me in front of the neighbors. So I unlock the door (no alarm - looking good so far) and reach in to grab my things. Alarm goes off again (ultrasonic sensor). So I very quickly shut the door, locked the car and called it a day.

The following day, I:
3.) unlocked the door with fob and waited for the auto lock feature to re-lock the car (indicators flash 3 times)

4.) then I pressed and held the unlock button for ~30 seconds or so. I could hear the lock mechanism go a couple of times

This seems to have finally done the trick. Car is now happy (I can lock/unlock and get in and out OK without the alarm sounding off), I'm partially deaf in both ears and my neighbors now hate me. Hope the car stays that way
WhoDunIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 10:55   #16 (permalink)

Car: 2006 1.8EX 5 door, NHB
Just to add to this, I had the same problem on Saturday - flat battery. I tried jump starting (no go) before fitting a new Yuasa 053. Yup, alarm went off and green key flashing.

Managed to get a free recovery from home to my local Honda dealer (Letchworth), courtesy of Green Flag. It took the dealer 10 mins to recode both keys, but the siren still went off... I asked them to disconnect it, which took all of 30 seconds! Grand total - 28.80

Options:

1) Reconnect it and try the "press and hold" technique;
2) Break it apart and replace the batteries;
3) Leave it disconnected.

I'm inclined to stick with option 3 for the time being...

Last edited by rosspix; 30th May 2014 at 11:02. Reason: Added cost.
rosspix is offline   Reply With Quote

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic > Electronics