2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Spark Plugs

Servicing 
2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  70122 
#1 ·
Just had the annual sales call from the dealer where they're booking in my service and 'recommending' various extra items they do.

One thing that alarmed me was that they said it will eventually need the spark plugs replacing and my response was "WHAT? You don't replace spark plugs on a regular service?". So apparently it has iridium spark plugs which cost £150 for them to fit (or around £70 online from Cox's) which they say don't need replacing until 75k miles.

As someone who is used to tossing the sparkplugs out religiously every 12 months on previous cars and them coming out looking ugly, this seems all very alien. What do other people do? This car is only going to the Honda dealer for the rubber stamp as I do minor stuff myself with genuine parts to save money (and because I don't like car dealers).

#3 ·
I read somewhere that they past their best at about 30k miles but I guess it's all relative to how you drive the car. Is there a howto on changing FN2 plugs somewhere?

#4 ·
Well a quick Google suggests they last 3x normal plugs, and the car is a month under 4 years old and with 36k miles so yeah they sound like skip fodder to me.

I'll have to get them out and have a look. Don't know about fitting, but there are plugtop coils from memory so should be fairly straightforward?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.