2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Clutch slip

Clutch 
2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Thunnisett 
#1 ·
Hi all

Had my clutch replaced Two and a half years ago by Honda, (325 and dmf)

Just had a stage 1 remap and it now slips in 3rd when you floor it.

I know the 2.2 's eat clutches but would you expect this?

I thought the 325 clutches could handle the stage 1 remap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Hi all

Had my clutch replaced Two and a half years ago by Honda, (325 and dmf)

Just had a stage 1 remap and it now slips in 3rd when you floor it.

I know the 2.2 's eat clutches but would you expect this?

I thought the 325 clutches could handle the stage 1 remap

I've got the 325 and a stage 2 map, the clutch itself has now done nearly 20k miles and the map has been on for 12k, mine slips on the odd occasion but only if I'm flooring it at silly rpm's eg 1800rpm in 3rd or 4th. mine also seems that the self adjuster fixes mine for a period of time and then it will slip more and fix itself again. What torque figure are you running? It should be able to handle around 300lb/ft and is it slipping when your flooring it from lower rpm's? When I floor it I tend to do so when I'm above 2.5k rpm.

#3 ·
It's around 295lb/ft.

Only had the remap done yesterday so do you think the clutch should re-adjust a bit?

I was booting it from around 2k rpm

It doesn't do it every time, will it cause more damage to the clutch?

#6 ·
It's around 295lb/ft.

Only had the remap done yesterday so do you think the clutch should re-adjust a bit?

I was booting it from around 2k rpm

It doesn't do it every time, will it cause more damage to the clutch?

Mine seems to be bad for a few days then fine after, as someone here said its best to hold the revs abit aswell and not be to harsh on the poor butter clutch by flooring it at 2k rpm ;)

#5 ·
Quick periods of slipping won't damage it per se but will generate excess heat and might wear the friction plate faster.

Reactions: Thunnisett
#9 ·
That all makes sense really. The upgraded Honda clutches we're lead to believe were introduced to fix the premature clutch slip/wear being experienced by many owners, the engine delivering very strong torque virtually at any revs and in any gear.

For that clutch to do more again is quite a big ask, also owners expect the clutch pedal weight and feel to be comfortable.

I remember my Peugot 309 turbo and Alfa 147 multi jet both had pretty heavy clutches-the Honda's was a breath of fresh air after that pair (both still good cars though !)

Reactions: Farqui
#8 ·
As I only had the remap yesterday I've been 'booting' it a bit to see what difference is like. Only slips in 3rd and 4th if I floor it, if I hold revs and accelerate a bit more gently then it's ok.

What would you recommend to upgrade to?

#12 ·
They're heavier than OEM but they do ease with use. I thought I'd just got used to mine but a pal drove it again recently and he thought it felt much better.

Removing the daft clutch damper helps ease the weight and really improves the feel. All it takes is a cheap hose, so it's a no brainer.

#14 ·
There seems to be no cheap fix apart to preventing clutch slip on a remap with 300lbft or more. There are little things you can try which can make the slip go away for a while but it will probably still slip if you go WOT.
A sports clutch is the sure way of getting rid... however when i replaced my standard 16 alloys with some 2nd hand 17 inch (which had slightly smaller tyres on 205 45 17) the clutch slip went away totally, even when giving it full beans. I guess the lighter weight and slightly smaller wheel diameter changes the gearing just enough to reduce the load on the pressure plate - but then the speedo will be out a few mph... got rid of the slip though! ;)

#16 · (Edited)
No, its laws of physics (cant remember the angular acceleration equation with wheel mass and square of radius) ... smaller diameter will make gearing a bit shorter and thereby reduce the load at the clutch/DMF. It helps the wheels lighter too team dynamics 1.2 in 17x7 is about 6.9kg but not sure about weight of Cooper 205/45/17 tyre.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.