2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Engine more noisy after oil change

Servicing 
2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  hondacivicnut 
#1 ·
Hi i just changed oil on my civic 2.2 diesel 2008 on Total Quartz Ineo ECS 5W30 , after the oil change the engine is more noisy...i can clearly hear whistle sound and engine more noisy the before.. dont know maybe i should put 0w30 but any ideas??

#2 ·
My derv sometimes does this, I've got 5w30 in to. I tend to find it clears up after a thousand or 2.

Mine sounds like a bit of a tractor anyway, rspecially compared to the derv brand spanking new (but very boring) pug 2008 I had on lease before hand.

Might be worth trying to find the source of the whistle though, my guess it's the turbo turbine running more smoothly. However if not the case it could indicate a air leak somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#4 ·
This is interesting!

I used Total Quartz 9000 at my last oil change a few months ago and the engine is definitely noisier than it was before when it had ECP TripleQX, definitely more chain noise at idle (but I don't think there's any greater whistling noise than before).

I always use the OEM Mahle oil filter and 0w-30 (but I don't think using 5w-30 is a problem).

#8 ·
I fitted a blueprint air filter on the last service. It was making vibrating noises and the turbo was definitely louder. The old one was fitted and a genuine Honda one ordered and fitted. Back to normal now.

As for oils, I've never experienced oils of the same grade being noisier but wouldn't rule it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.