Exhaust Vapour/Smoke from Exhaust at Idle - Civinfo

1Likes
  • 1 Post By tqp2001

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 16th February 2017, 14:31 Thread Starter

Vapour/Smoke from Exhaust at Idle

Hi all,

I've had my Civic 06 1.8 ES for nearly a week now and last night after driving for about twenty minutes or so I hit traffic and saw a reasonably noticeable amount of vapour/possibly thin amount of white smoke from the right hand exhaust, I couldn’t tell whether it was coming from the left exhaust or if it just happened to be the wind direction making it appear to be the driver’s side exhaust.

It was only noticeable when idle and when starting to accelerate away, It wasn't exactly billowing out and hiding the cars behind me by any means and couldn't be seen again until I was stopped in traffic.

I has been cold and damp for the last week where I am so it could just be vapour but I'm really not sure if this is usual for Civic's from 2006 onwards, especially as I had been driving a good twenty minutes already.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, it looks to me very much like vapour as opposed to smoke but it was constant when idle and lit up by the car behind me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 16th February 2017, 14:33
Supporter

Car: 2008 Type R FN2, NHB
Pretty sure it'll just be vapour. Mine steams a bit in the cold when I've been in traffic for a while - I think it's just that the exhaust doesn't heat up sufficiently to vaporise all the condensation inside it, due to the engine not running at high revs.

It also steams a bit with the engine off for about five minutes after I've stopped... generally from the right hand exit (looking from the rear), likely because it's the closest pipe to the main exhaust section, so marginally hotter.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 16th February 2017, 14:41 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

It doesn't seem thick enough to be smoke in my opinion but it seemed a bit odd considering I'd been driving the car a good twenty minutes at a decent pace, do these exhausts tend to stay reletively cool then?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 16th February 2017, 14:51
Supporter

Car: 2008 Type R FN2, NHB
Not sure about the 1.8, but I have a Milltek on my FN2, which is wider bore than standard so arguably more metal. Stainless seems to stay colder than mild steel too, so maybe something to do with it...
Thanks to anthropolyte from:
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 16th February 2017, 14:53 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I appreciate the input anthropolyte.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else notices this with their civic's, mine was kicking out a bit more vapour than most other cars I could see, everything seems to be running fine, no noticable smell from the exhaust either.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 16th February 2017, 17:56

Car: 2015 1.8 Tourer
Although very unlikely, it could be a bad head gasket or a fracture in the cylinder head. Check the oil if there is froth building up, monitor oil and coolant level. Especially rising oil level or loosing coolant would be suspicious. If reproducible, take a warming up drive, let it idle until the vapour turns up and go smell the exhaust. If the vapour has a somewhat sweet scent, that would be coolant burning and a clear sign for getting a check at the shop.
musegroove likes this.
Thanks to tqp2001 from:
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 16th February 2017, 18:43
Off-Road Nut!!!

Car: 2009 1.8 Type S GT
Garage
Mine dose the same thing in this cold weather. Not a single bit in the summer though, think its quite normal.
Thanks to 1066 Boy from:
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 17th February 2017, 08:53

sounds normal - mine does exactly that. It'll dribble water out of the holes in the rear pipe too, suggesting Honda knew about it and made a hole to drain it out.
Thanks to 1396midget from:
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 17th February 2017, 09:36
Supporter

Car: 08 CTR, Milano Red
Does sound normal in this weather, I'm decatted and get a fair bit on idle on wet, colder days.

It can be as tqp described but you can usually tell from the smell and dropping coolant level over time.

Once it dries up should hopefully go away
Thanks to musegroove from:
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 17th February 2017, 10:41 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for all the feedback guys, it doesn't seem to have any particular odour to it so I'm not too concerned, just wanted to make sure it wasn't anything out of the ordinary. Cheers again!

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic > Engines and Transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page