Leaky radiator - need advice - Civinfo

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 20th April 2017, 11:05 Thread Starter

Car: 2007 Civic Type S GT 1.8
Leaky radiator - need advice

Hey guys,

So i have a leaky radiator that I was quoted £340 for replacement (1.8 2007 Civic)
My water temperature just goes up all the way to the top and then goes back down nearly immediately. Pretty weird, but I got it checked with AA and every other parts of the system works, it just leaks a bit. The question is are these radiator leak repair liquids work at all? Can anyone recommend a brand? Its a brand new issue and as it did the overheating only 1-2 times in a 35 mile journey so far I can't tell how badly it leaks as yet. If you say these liquids are worth a try I pop to Halfords and get some, I just feel uneasy pouring something into the system without knowing anything about it. Any help or recommendations are welcome, cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 20th April 2017, 11:10
Supporter

Car: NHB FN2 CTR GT
Where is the leak bud, is it def the rad or a hose?
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 20th April 2017, 11:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkerbpm View Post
Hey guys,

So i have a leaky radiator that I was quoted £340 for replacement (1.8 2007 Civic)
My water temperature just goes up all the way to the top and then goes back down nearly immediately. Pretty weird, but I got it checked with AA and every other parts of the system works, it just leaks a bit. The question is are these radiator leak repair liquids work at all? Can anyone recommend a brand? Its a brand new issue and as it did the overheating only 1-2 times in a 35 mile journey so far I can't tell how badly it leaks as yet. If you say these liquids are worth a try I pop to Halfords and get some, I just feel uneasy pouring something into the system without knowing anything about it. Any help or recommendations are welcome, cheers!
Why take risks with your engine.If there is a leak fix it.

It costs very little to do it right if you keep away from dealers.

It says fits 1.8 but i wouldnt know.

HONDA CIVIC MK8 2.2 2005-2011 WATER RADIATOR MN422000-8411 | eBay
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 20th April 2017, 11:20 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I'm pretty sure its the rad, I'll try to make a picture later. The pipes all seem fine, and the water being collected on the bottom is right underneath the radiator.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 20th April 2017, 11:57
Supporter

Car: honda civic type s gt red
Garage
Send a message via AIM to jaxckhan
hi there does the fan still kick in when your temp go high? have you had checked the little drain plug at the bottom of the rad to see if that has not come lose, and dose it leak when the engine is started?
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 20th April 2017, 12:51 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

The fan does work, this is what the AA report says:
Member advised he was driving vehicle yesterday and temperature gauge went high briefly but then back down.Found oil level in between min and max level. Coolant level low. Topped up coolant level in radiator. Found coolant dripping from radiator. Ran vehicle, top radiator hose 76 degrees celsius, bottom hose 70 degrees Celsius. Thermostat ok at test. Heater hoses 68 degrees Celsius, found coolant circulating ok at test. Found cooling fan operating at 103 degrees Celsius, temperature then went down to 95 degrees Celsius. Vehicle not overheating at test. Suspect possible radiator for further investigation. Member travelling from london to bracknell, patrol advised recovery but member declined as member is at work. Member advised he will top up cooling system on journey at own risk.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 20th April 2017, 12:56

You have a leak,find it and replace the part.The options for doing that and its costs are governed by the choices you make.Sticking crap in a cooling system isnt something id recommend.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 20th April 2017, 12:58
Supporter

Garage
I agree them quick fix stuff usually end up doing more damage later down the road, find the leak, just be careful as not to put your fingers near the fan, or wear any top that has string ropes, or just take it to a local garage and get it checked

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
Farqui likes this.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 20th April 2017, 13:02 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

This is what I was trying to find out whether any of you tried these liquids with any success before. I just want to use it as a temporary measure as I just simply need the car every day for another week until midnight every day, so have no time to go to a garage until that.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 20th April 2017, 13:08

Car: 2006 1.8 ES petrol v-tech
Bars Leaks is an excellent product suitable for aluminium rads as well , have been using it since the early seventies on every car i have had it lubricates the water pump as well, it will stop most leaks for the life of the car.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 20th April 2017, 13:20

Quote:
This is what I was trying to find out whether any of you tried these liquids with any success before. I just want to use it as a temporary measure as I just simply need the car every day for another week until midnight every day, so have no time to go to a garage until that.
Just take plenty of water with you and check/top it up at every opportunity.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 20th April 2017, 13:31 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Perfect thanks for the tip!
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 20th April 2017, 13:33
Supporter

Car: NHB FN2 CTR GT
Or coolant
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 20th April 2017, 13:48 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Have you guys tried Radweld by any chance? Thats something I could get even today and use it, although I'm a bit worried about messing up the heater matrix
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 20th April 2017, 13:58
Supporter

Garage
I have used rad weld but on a older car along time ago, and it did the job, but i would just keep big bottle of water pressure mixed with with coolant in the boot and top up when when needed, until you get it repaired

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 20th April 2017, 13:59
Supporter

Garage
Meant to say pre mixed and bottel of water

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 20th April 2017, 14:06
Supporter

Grab a few bottles of honda premix, they're like £15 a bottle from most eBay sellers ex delivery. DOnt just popup the expansion tank, actually do the radiator first when its cold, then the expansion tank if its leaking. You want to make sure you keep on top of it or you could easily blow your head gasket.

Ive got a bit of ready mix still which was used for my coolant change, if you want it just pay the small postage ad ill pop it in the post to you to help out. Mine doesnt use any coolant

See if you can find a formula one garage by where you are, they're a big chain and they do drop in appointments. A radiator change on a civic is about 3 hours tops including bleeding the system. May be of use to you. They also do weekend appointments too.

Last edited by lightningslow; 20th April 2017 at 14:09.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 20th April 2017, 14:16
Supporter

Car: 2009 EXGT auto, 1999 Fiesta
Quote:
Well, as you've asked if anyone's used any liquids etc with any success, my answer is I've used k seal when my 1989 merc. 190e 2 litre was leaking coolant from the heater rad. matrix (windscreen misted up with heating on screen/fan on). Added it to the system via car rad/filler cap according to instructions on container. Fixed the problem while I had the car (approx. a further 6 months)
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 20th April 2017, 14:18 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for all this info! Do you think the £340 is an acceptable price? The thing is that I just went down to look at it properly again with a better torch and i can see rust at a few areas especially around the fixings, so I do think instead of risking messing up the system and the heating a new rad will have to go in next week for sure. The quote that I was given £340 with labour - is there a point to look for a cheaper option?
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 20th April 2017, 14:24
Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for all this info! Do you think the £340 is an acceptable price? The thing is that I just went down to look at it properly again with a better torch and i can see rust at a few areas especially around the fixings, so I do think instead of risking messing up the system and the heating a new rad will have to go in next week for sure. The quote that I was given £340 with labour - is there a point to look for a cheaper option?
Well its three hours labour at a standard rate of £60 per hour at most garages, that leaves the cost of coolant which is £15-25 from Honda and the actual radiator which is about £140 so its not a sky high quote to be honest.

on the face you could save a few quid if you order the radiator yourself and give them the parts. but that negates any warranty if it develops a leak etc or is the wrong part.

TL;DR seems a good price, go for it

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page