How To replace wing mirror - Civinfo
Civinfo

7.jpg

Help Rules Search Clothing Stickers Surveys Wiki Forum
Go Back   Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic > How To

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11th September 2008, 20:37   #1 (permalink)

Thanks given: 0
Right, here's a quick guide on how to replace the door mirror assembly on the Civic:

I've just fitted my wing mirror and all has gone well. It's a bit more complicated than I thought as you DO have to take the interior door panel off to get to the two lower bolts.

The door mirror assembly is held on to the door by three nuts on the inside of the car, which thread onto three bolts the door mirror assembly on the outside.

Start by taking the tweeter panel off from the inside of the door. You do this by pulling it from as close to the top as you can (it's hooked in at the bottom, so don't try pulling the bottom or you'll break the clips). You will then see one of the door mirror nuts quite clearly (it's the smaller of the two). If you peer down the slot underneath the panel you just removed, you'll see the other two nuts - quite difficult to reach but may just about be possible?

To take the door panel off, you remove the two screws behind the plastic cover inside the silver door opening handle area AND the screw which is under the rubber bit where you'd pull to close the door. You then start at the BOTTOM and pull hard to undo the clips until the door panel is hanging just by the very top (no clips). You can then just lift the entire panel up to unhook it from the door (it's hooked into a slot on the top edge which the glass goes down). Stand the (now loose) plastic door insert on a box so it's not being supported by it's own cables. You don't have to solder or disconnect any of the wires (other than the one that goes to the wing mirror).

It took me about 20 minutes to do the above - including putting the new one back on and putting the door back together again and also swapping the covers between the replacement mirror and the old one (see below). It's saved me in Honda labour so I think it's worth doing and is fairly low risk. The only risks are, that you might break a couple of the door clips when you pull it out, but these are fairly cheap if you DON'T buy them from Honda and I've not broken any myself.

Further notes on mirror disassembly:
To remove the mirror glass, just push the mirror on the outside edge (furthest from the car) so it swivels round giving your fingers access to the inside edge, then just pull the mirror out carefully with your fingers from the inside edge (do not use a screwdriver or any metal tools or you'll shatter the glass!). You can then disconnect the wires to the mirror heating element.

To remove the body-coloured shell, remove the mirror glass as above, then use needle-nose pliers and a screwdriver to release the clips which you can see from the reverse side. It's a bit fiddly, but eventually you should get all the clips undone simultaneously and the cover should come off when you tilt it forwards.

If you need to take the mirror apart any further, there are star shaped screws which you might need to undo. Personally I found I could undo these with a flat bladed driver quite easily - it's just the matter of finding one which exactly fits (if it's slipping and damaging the screw then stop before you ruin it!). Do not ever attempt to use a cross-head or Philips screw driver in a torx or 'star' screw or you'll ruin it and you'll be stuck!

Hope this helps someone!

Nick...

Last edited by FWH; 11th September 2008 at 20:39. Reason: minor edits after copying to How-To
NickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank You to NickG from 10 Users:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12th September 2008, 00:14   #2 (permalink)
Goodbye all, have fun!

Thanks given: 77
Well done! A useful guide to one of jobs that is needed to be done too often, epecially with mirrors being the size they are.
Wheelchair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 16:31   #3 (permalink)
Supporter

Car: 2011 Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI
Thanks given: 39
Great "how to", thanks a lot! Just a pity it did not come 3 months ago, when I backed into the garage too close to the wall...

Now I know where to look if it happens again.
morten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 09:26   #4 (permalink)

Please be so kind and tell me if you know how to remove gest the mirror glass, or to be more exactly i want to change my side lighting.
Thanks.
pricop_cosmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 12:07   #5 (permalink)
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricop_cosmin View Post
Please be so kind and tell me if you know how to remove gest the mirror glass, or to be more exactly i want to change my side lighting.
It's in my first post...?
Old 1st October 2008, 12:12   #6 (permalink)
Supporter

Car: 2008 2.2 i-CTDi ES NHB
Thanks given: 57
Here perhaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickG View Post
Further notes on mirror disassembly:
To remove the mirror glass, just push the mirror on the outside edge (furthest from the car) so it swivels round giving your fingers access to the inside edge, then just pull the mirror out carefully with your fingers from the inside edge (do not use a screwdriver or any metal tools or you'll shatter the glass!). You can then disconnect the wires to the mirror heating element.

To remove the body-coloured shell, remove the mirror glass as above, then use needle-nose pliers and a screwdriver to release the clips which you can see from the reverse side. It's a bit fiddly, but eventually you should get all the clips undone simultaneously and the cover should come off when you tilt it forwards.

If you need to take the mirror apart any further, there are star shaped screws which you might need to undo. Personally I found I could undo these with a flat bladed driver quite easily - it's just the matter of finding one which exactly fits (if it's slipping and damaging the screw then stop before you ruin it!). Do not ever attempt to use a cross-head or Philips screw driver in a torx or 'star' screw or you'll ruin it and you'll be stuck!
NoNumpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 12:13   #7 (permalink)
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNumpty View Post
Here perhaps
Please do not duplicate information. All of that text is just 3-4 posts back in my original post. I realise you're trying to be helpful, but people need to learn to actually read before they post.
Old 1st October 2008, 12:39   #8 (permalink)
Supporter

Car: 2008 2.2 i-CTDi ES NHB
Thanks given: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickG View Post
Please do not duplicate information. All of that text is just 3-4 posts back in my original post. I realise you're trying to be helpful, but people need to learn to actually read before they post.
NoNumpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 13:38   #9 (permalink)

thank you all and i will do like you say.
pricop_cosmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 15:51   #10 (permalink)

Nick G - Thanks so much for the step by step guide, i managed to change my vandalised passenger wing mirror this weekend and wouldnt have know where to start without your guide Honda quoted me 330 In the end with fitting it myself, it cost me 80 - Bought the new wing mirror(including cover) from the wonderful trooper on here.

A couple of things to add, i did manage to remove all three bolts that hold the wing mirror without taking off the door panel with alot of hard effort - fortunately for me i have skinny hands! However you still need to remove the door panel in order to get to the wiring connection for the old/new mirror, so this wing mirror replacement cannot be done without taking the door panel off. In terms of removing the door panel, as Nick says you just need to take out the three screws and then pull really hard the very bottom of the door panel towards you till you release it from the clips.
redstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 13:40   #11 (permalink)

Car: 2007 2.2 5dr, Milano Red
Star Tool

Tool T20T Star, should cost about 3

Click the image to open in full size.
deekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 14:59   #12 (permalink)

Car: 2008 1.8 EX 5door, silver
can anyone tell me where I can get a replacement mirror as someone has decided to kick mine. Ive googled it. all that's wrong with mine is the post has been snapped off and it's just hanging by the wires. Ive seen some massive numbers on websites but i'm quite handy and will easliy fix it with the above advice. Ive got a 08 model and it's an EX s the mirrors will be costly.
Fluffyspanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 17:42   #13 (permalink)

Thanks

Nick many thanks for instructions on how to replace wing mirror, i had mine kicked off by some mindless ???? And i have used your guide and did it in 30 mins.
Many thanks bob a.
BOB A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 21:27   #14 (permalink)

Thanks given: 10
Excellent post!

232 from local garage with Honda-sourced parts to change a passenger-side wing-mirror. If only I had the resources to follow your guide instead of get a mechanic to do it for me...

... perhaps next time!
Meritocracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 13:51   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybenz View Post
hello,I'm a newbie here and I want to ask for your help since it seems that you guys really know how to do this. It's kind of hard for me to visualize the instruction without images. I was able to find this video on how to replace a mirror. I can't find one specific for civic,and that video is a general one. Could I rely on it? Or it's different with civic?
thank you for any opinion..
Yeah thats pretty much bang on mate. Just need to buy yourself a replacement mirror and have a set of spanners handly.

Last edited by FWH; 21st January 2011 at 13:04. Reason: REMOVED SPAM LINK IN QUOTE
redstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2011, 14:25   #16 (permalink)

Thanks given: 1
my driverside door mirror has stopped folding in when i press the button...can anyone tell me if i have to remove the complete mirror to have a look or is it possible by just removing the mirror caseing??
matt humphreys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 02:01   #17 (permalink)

Excellent instructions

My Honda CRV passenger heated mirror failed to defrost so after some research established it was either a duff mirror glass (containing the heating element) or the actuator controlling the rotational movement (and containing the attaching heating element wires). Spoke to Honda parts who advised using a screwdriver to prise the glass off - DOH!!!

After finding this site and post, I followed the advice of NickG and hey presto removed the mirror/backing plate by placing my fingers behind it, getting as near to the centre as possible, and pushing from behind. Off it came.

Because the glass wasn't broken, at this stage I wasn't sure if the failure to defrost was caused by a faulty glass or a faulty actuator/wiring. Remedy - I removed the drivers door mirror glass in the same way and swapped the mirrors over making sure they both were wired correctly. Note, it is best to mark the attaching wires "top" and "bottom", to ensure they are correctly positioned and not mixed up - they're both black wires - it might not make any difference, but just in case!! When reversed, the passenger mirror didn't heat up on the drivers side but the drivers mirror did heat up on the passenger side. This confirmed the passenger mirror glass was at fault, not the actuator/wiring. Replacement glass (heated) cost 46 from Honda!!! Tried everywhere on the web to find an alternative supplier but no luck. For info, a replacement actuator is about 65 - not cheap!!

Re-attaching the replacement glass to the actuator is quite straightforward. Connect the two wires, position the glass centrally in the mirror housing and apply gradual pressure in the centre of the glass until you feel/hear the backing plate click into position. Note, make sure the heater switch/ignition is off throughout the removal and repalcement process - other than when checking to establish what part is duff.

Hope this helps someone - a bit longwinded but it might save some time, money and patience in the long run.
brucieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank You to brucieboy from 2 Users:
Old 9th May 2012, 17:04   #18 (permalink)

Thanks given: 16
I have just had my passenger mirror knocked off over the weekend I have searched E bay etc for a replacement unit and have had to settle for one costing me 110 delivered. I have the colour coded section in tact with little damage to the other parts, with the exception of the aluminium post. This has been snapped right off!! I have ordered this one off E bay in the hope all mirrors fit one???? I have a 2008, three door, Type S and the one I have bought is coming off a 2007 SE with four doors, will it fit Ok?

Thank you for all the advice provided on here, it has been very useful in disconnecting my old one. This is the last time I will leave my mirrors sticking out, they will be folded in come what may now!!

Cheers all
W9LDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 17:33   #19 (permalink)
Syx
#MrGrumpy

Car: 2008 2.2 CTS GT
Thanks given: 1,204
Thanked 2,454 Times in 2,130 Posts
Eco display
Get yourself one of Mr Bozo's folding mirror modules - then you will always have them fold in by default
Syx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 10:32   #20 (permalink)

Hi

Had a couple of knock on my wing mirrors recently, both mirrors need repairing/replacing, got a quote from my local honda garage for 350 which was a shock!!

They have itemised the bits i need, anyone know if I can source these cheaper:

76201-SMG-E21 - Mirror Sub Assy R.Door (Auto Turn)
76253-SMG-E31 - Mirror Sub Assy L. (R1400) (Heated)
76255-SMG-E32 - Housing, L

I think I could probably fix fit these myself once I source the parts?

thanks
bains1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic > How To