2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Perspex grill change

151K views 231 replies 118 participants last post by  Barrie 
#1 ·
Firstly remove the plastic panel that covers the top of the grill and radiator by carefully removing the plastic clips. I used 2 flat headed screwdrivers and attacked them from both sided and they popped out nicely.
This will expose the grill bolts.

Next you need to drop the fromt bumper from it location fixings. Dont panic, this is very easy to do.

Carefully remove the wheel arch trim taking care not to damage the clips.

This will expose a Phillips head screw as seen in the above photo.
Remove the screw and pull the bumper away from the wing.
Repeat for the other side of the car.

Continue pulling the bumper away from the body of the car working your way around to the other side of the car.

Unbolt the grill. It is secured with 2 10mm bolts at each top corner of the grill.

Very very carefully depress the retaining clips at the back of the grill to release the grill from its housing bracket. There are 4 retaining clips, 2 at the top corners and 2 at the bottom corners.

The grill is then only being held in place by a metal spring clamp. Release the clamp by carefully pushing the grill back taking care not to push the clips back on. A little bit of brute strength may be required.

Grill is off.

Fitting new grill is much easier.
Slip the new grill in place locating the clips into their housing.
Replace bolts but do not tighten fully as you still need a bit of movement to secure the base of the grill to the bumper.

With the grill in place, put your hand on the back of the grill and push the bumper to secure it to the grill retainer (no longer a metal clamp). Then work the bumper back into its fixings, just pops back in by hitting it with your hand.

Tighten the grill bolts.

Replace the trim and the plastic panel.

Stand back and admire your handy work.

All in all it took me about 40 mins.

Hope this helps someone.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Bought complete grill from ebay, £95 with free postage. Type in "civic grill" into the ebay search and look for the one that has a buy it now price of £95, it's from seller 2006holdcroft who are actually Holdcroft Subaru. They have got loads of them. They are genuine Honda items and come in the original Honda box and packaging. Some sellers are only selling the centre of the grill but this comes with everything including the clips which is handy if you break one while removing the old one.
Glad the post helped.

#5 ·
Theres already a "how to" for changing the grill. Never-the-less this is another good input to help peeps on here :)

#112 ·
Well, if they were actual lights, then yes...
But as it stands I've replaced my bling-bling grille with one of these as well. Was a good thing too as one of the clips broke off from the original grille. I blame the nasty roads and pavements of South Africa. Every time the bumper catches it wears out the bumper clips that bit more. I'm going to have to replace my whole bumper front as it's not even lining up properly any more :(

I also went one step further, had one of my mates use a flat tipped soldering iron to cut out the two stamped parts at the rear of the grille for some extra airflow- whether this has any real effect though I don't know :rolleyes:

#8 ·
Good "how to" I couldnt be bothered taking the bumper off, really didnt think it was needed!

If anyone bought their Civic from Lookers Stockport in September, you will find the perspex grille will come off quite easily ;)

#12 ·
Glad it helped.
I have been looking for a red grill badge to complement my grill but was reluctant to pay main dealer prices, so, with a little experimenting I have customised the existing badge. Looks pretty damn good too and cost me sod all as I already had the paint in the garage. I will post a new "how to" in a little while.
Basically I removed the existing badge, made a template of it, transferred the template to thin aluminium, keyed the surface, primed it, painted it red, lacquered it, then glued the badge onto it. Then glued the badge back on the grill. Happy days. :D

#14 · (Edited)
Each to their own.
What a boring world it would be if we all liked the same things and all our Civic's looked the same!
I personally think it breaks up the front end nicely.

Has anyone with a CTR changed the grill to a perspex one to "up date the front end"?
Just a thought !

#21 ·
Cheers, Looking at the other "how-to" threads, many of them say there's no need to remove the bumper, I guess it is possible but removing some clips and 2 x screw took me less than 10 minutes, this meant unclipping the old grille took 30 seconds, then about 5 minutes clipping everything back into place. Whole job done in under 20 mins and what a difference to the looks, well worth the £99 from Cox

#23 ·
drop the bumper. It's the way forward. just finished putting it on my galaxy grey ES, and it looks great. I'll try to add some photos later (when it stops raining!)

One word of advice, when taking off the trim you only need to remove the outer two clips on the underside of the bumper and the first of the two screws.

#27 ·
There is 100% no need to drop the bumper...!

#35 ·
Thanks for the How To, just changed mine for the Nostrils type, I know its not to everyones taste but I like it :)

Didnt end up dropping the bumper as it looks like someone had broken the clips on mine long before I had chance to and the new one went in easy enough can only see it being a problem getting it out as if you have big hands you will struggle

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.