Accident not your fault and don't want to claim on your insurance? - Civinfo
Civinfo Chris Knott Insurance

17.jpg

Help Rules Search Clothing Stickers Surveys Wiki Forum
Go Back   Civinfo > All Civics > Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20th October 2009, 15:54   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2009 CW CTR
Thanks given: 5
Accident not your fault and don't want to claim on your insurance?

As the title really, I had someone bump into me a few weeks ago whilst I was stationary. Mullered my back bumper, although the person that did it was very sorry and willing to accept responsibility I was reluctant to go through my own insurance because of stumping up the excess. (Especially as it would take so long to recover and I don't think they fight on your behalf as vigorously as years gone by, couldn't risk a 'knock for knock outcome)

So the repairer suggested these people, I was sceptical at first but it has worked out really well, car has been repaired and I've not had to involve my insurance at all. Thought it may come in useful should anyone else find themselves in a similar spot.

Swift | Welcome to Swift Prestige Hire
Reddwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20th October 2009, 16:33   #2 (permalink)

Thanks given: 36
even if the accident was not your fault and you recovered all costs from the other party your insurance premium would have defo gone up next year if you'd put the claim through yours, its a total joke. well worth using these firms.
jcw147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 17:16   #3 (permalink)
everyday i get older

Car: 2007 CTR NHB
Thanks given: 19
its a risk, do some quotes with and without a fake claim, and see what the difference is..

I claimed on my MG when i was hit and it took over a year to reclaim the costs back, and while they did they took away the no claims i had accrued, and as such i had to re-take my insurance back out with said company as i couldn't get insured by anyone else for a reasonable price..

It is a shame that regardless of fault we get penalised.
Evil Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 13:29   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Berto View Post
its a risk, do some quotes with and without a fake claim, and see what the difference is..

I claimed on my MG when i was hit and it took over a year to reclaim the costs back, and while they did they took away the no claims i had accrued, and as such i had to re-take my insurance back out with said company as i couldn't get insured by anyone else for a reasonable price..

It is a shame that regardless of fault we get penalised.
u have tried that before, say a £600 claim, wasnt your fault, all costs recovered, so basically you did nothing wrong, the insurance didnt pay anything out, yet your premium is £80 more! hmmmmmmm, its a con.
Old 21st October 2009, 14:04   #5 (permalink)
[ Laird Mac Nac Feegle ]

Car: 2007 1.8 'Executive' (EX)
Thanks given: 297
Thanked 1,102 Times in 826 Posts
Here's where the saying "you get what you pay for" applies ...

Some 'tadger' in an Audi pranged my Civic in the middle of a mini-roundabout, when my car was just 6 months old ...

Other driver had failed totally to observe the rules of 'right-of-way' (hadn't even looked my way !) and admitted to it - I also took pictures there and then, which didn't hurt ...

Front corner crumpled (wing \ bumper \ bonnet \ etc.) - but car driveable afterwards (his wasn't !) ...

I've got what here is called "Super-Insurance", so my Insurer arranged everything - some £ 2,500 repair bill, plus hire car ...

NO impact whatsoever on my NCB or annual Premiums and no excess payable - and that applies no matter how often I have a 'no-fault' accident ...

It's NOT just how much you pay for Insurance, it's also what you get for it ! ...
J. Derek Riddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 14:08   #6 (permalink)
Supporter

Car: 2008 2.2 i-CTDi ES NHB
Thanks given: 57
^ What he said ^
NoNumpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 15:57   #7 (permalink)
Lord of JAE.....

Car: 58' NHB Type R-GT
Thanks given: 394
BTW, I think you'll find you have a legal obligation to inform your insurers whether or not the accident was your fault..... not saying don't but it does invalidate your insurance otherwise...

Tom
Unknownsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 18:29   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post
BTW, I think you'll find you have a legal obligation to inform your insurers whether or not the accident was your fault..... not saying don't but it does invalidate your insurance otherwise...

Tom
of course, but i can guarantee that if he tells his insurance someone bumped him, he used a third party to sort it out, totally not his fault, his premium will go up next year, that just aint fair, its rip off britain at its best.
Old 21st October 2009, 18:39   #9 (permalink)
Lord of JAE.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw147 View Post
of course, but i can guarantee that if he tells his insurance someone bumped him, he used a third party to sort it out, totally not his fault, his premium will go up next year, that just aint fair, its rip off britain at its best.
Definitely.... I had a knock, no claim made decided it was best to declare it, and got a 40 pound load added to my premium....

Tom
Old 21st October 2009, 22:26   #10 (permalink)
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post

Tom
I'm not so sure, I filled in the forms to Swift and was asked wether or not I had informed my insurers, I answered 'no' and they were happy to act. It isn't technically me now making the claim as Swift have settled the bill with the repairer and are now recovering their costs from the third party insurer. I will check it out tomorrow, but even if I do report it to my insurer, I've not had to foot the bill for the excess which is a result.
Old 22nd October 2009, 08:37   #11 (permalink)
Lord of JAE.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddwarf View Post
I'm not so sure, I filled in the forms to Swift and was asked wether or not I had informed my insurers, I answered 'no' and they were happy to act. It isn't technically me now making the claim as Swift have settled the bill with the repairer and are now recovering their costs from the third party insurer. I will check it out tomorrow, but even if I do report it to my insurer, I've not had to foot the bill for the excess which is a result.
I'm not suggesting you should or wish to inform your insurers, but I was just making the boring "Legal" argument.......... I had a wack with a truck (totally my fault, I was being chased.... LOL), no claim made a 7 tonne oil tanker versus a five series, no contest, I wrote the oil tanker off LOL JK, well I came off worse, and the insurers were informed as were the police, no insurance company had my accident on record until I told them so.... if you can hold for 3 years without having another accident then it'll go away, but if they find you have claimed but not told them..... then they may revoke your insurance which will make it very hard to get insurance anywhere else...... however I think the system is unfair and I now would not in hindsight have told them about my little accident. So if your happy not telling them (play the ignorance card! Always ), then don't tell them. It's up to you.....
Old 22nd October 2009, 13:20   #12 (permalink)
** Thread starter **

Tom,

Not at all, it was a very good point and it did make me think, especially as I'm sure the insurance would use any glitch to get out of another claim and void the policy rather than cough up.

I called Swift first thing this morning and they said that most people didn't inform their insurance company, but as a courtesy it would be acceptable to do so, just to tell them it was all sorted.

So I did.........really odd response, told them what I had done and they were a little bit off about it, wasn't happy that someone else had made out of it I think, but basically said, well if it is sorted and I didn't need them they didn't want to know about it. That call will be logged by me for future ref if they start LOL.

P.S.......I'm thinking of changing my profile pic or something.....everyone here thinks I'm a bloke
Old 23rd October 2009, 13:39   #13 (permalink)
CCC

Thanks given: 0
The problem here is if you do tell your insurance company about this and be honest, then your premium will go up for the next 5 years as it counts as a claim, even if it wasn't your fault. If you do not tell them and they never find out then nobody will be any the wiser, and you won't loose any money. The only thing to watch out for is knowing how good the garage is and how good the work is going to be. If the work is rubbish you might have to pay your own legal fees to get it resolved.

You should tell the insurance company about any accidents, but of course they will then screw you for then next 5 years on the premium. Its your call!
CCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 18:40   #14 (permalink)
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCC View Post
The problem here is if you do tell your insurance company about this and be honest, then your premium will go up for the next 5 years as it counts as a claim, even if it wasn't your fault. If you do not tell them and they never find out then nobody will be any the wiser, and you won't loose any money. The only thing to watch out for is knowing how good the garage is and how good the work is going to be. If the work is rubbish you might have to pay your own legal fees to get it resolved.

You should tell the insurance company about any accidents, but of course they will then screw you for then next 5 years on the premium. Its your call!
Absolutely, it is always very important to go to a garage that you trust, management company or insurance to be fair, I'm lucky, mine went to the garage my husband works at so it was guaranteed to be top notch...he wouldn't bother coming home otherwise

He was telling me that in the last year approx 70% of their work in the bodyshop was through these companies as people are just sick to death of sporting out their excess and waiting sometimes 6-9 months to get it back. Apparently they were also fed up with pushing or nagging the insurance to the point where they quit fighting your corner and conclude with a knock for knock and no return of your excess, basically to get rid of you.

As I mentioned earlier, I tried to inform my insurance company as a courtesy that I had had a knock and it was all sorted, they actually said they were not interested, they don't make it easy either way.
Old 6th October 2011, 23:59   #15 (permalink)

Thanks given: 0
Accident not your fault and don't want to claim on your insurance?

I work for an insurance company in claims. The trouble is that the stats show if you have one accident, fault or non fault you are likely to have another. Really bizarre but if you are an insurer there to make a profit by insuring loads of people on the basis that you can make a profit by charging the right premium then you will not ignore the stats. They are in business to make money and not a charity or government run organisation. The premium that you pay even if £3000 odd will not cover the average cost of an accident by the time all your fair weather passenger friends have put in personal injury claims, the other blokes car has been written off (rightly or wrongly) and he has had a credit hire car for at least 30 days! Basically I dread the day that someone runs into me as I know my premium will go up. By the way even if dont claim through your insurer, if a claim has been made against the third party insurer then there will be a record. We live in **** times my friends!
Gonzo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 06:22   #16 (permalink)
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanks given: 366
Eco display Eco display
... as all highlighted on Watchdog yesterday (Thu 6th) evening. If your hit then your insurance is going to go up.

Something to do with the CUE database they were saying.

Your premiums can even go up if you so much as enquire about your insurance cover.

Which brings me to another question - my insurance company keeps pushing their home contents additional 'accidental cover'. If I took this out and made a claim then presumably that would hike next years premium? If so then I'm better off staying without it and paying for my own household accidents?
Kremmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 16:43   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Thanks given: 35
I haven't read any of the above BUT

you should have legal expense cover on your insurance. They will provide you with courtesy car, repair your vehicle and then re-claim the costs from the third party insurer.

However if the circumstances of the incident aren't clear, then they may not take it on (if they know they wont get their money back) however if it is a straight non fault incident they will definately take it on.

Regards
FrankstaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 16:30   #18 (permalink)
C.B
UKDM

Car: 2007 CTR NHB GT
Thanks given: 34
When I have been involved in an accident that wasnt my fault, I went entirely through the third party insurers anyway without having to involve my own other than tell them about the accident; which put my insurance up
C.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 08:49   #19 (permalink)
Bog
Supporter

Car: 2012 Silver 1.8 EX-GT
Thanks given: 164
Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
Your premiums can even go up if you so much as enquire about your insurance cover.
Really? How do they work that one out?
Bog is offline   Reply With Quote

Civinfo > All Civics > Insurance