2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

New Member Apology

6K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Kremmen 
#1 ·
From early March we have had to implement a scheme whereby Moderators approve new registrations.

This was forced upon us by a series of spam attacks from Korea, Taiwan and the Phillipines involving up to 500 spam posts a day to be dealt with.

Hopefully we can remove it periodically to see if it starts up again.

I've been told that we are not the only forum to be hit.

#3 ·
Yeah the important thing is managing to get valid people activated in good time tho. Lots of sites have this rule and some I've joined before have taken a week or so to activate my membership etc. It put me off using those sites to be honest so wouldn't want to see this happen here. With the couple extra bods on board over the past week it should be manageable tho

#6 ·
It was temporarily suspended a few days ago as we've not had to stop any new registrations from the known trouble spots.

We are ready to turn it on again should they start again.

The auto registration block based on other criteria is still in force though.

#16 ·
Under the new forum software there are more bespoke checks which means most new members will be able able to register and contribute immediately.

New members who post links in their first post, have a suspicious IP address from known problem countries or post conflicting info like their IP doesn't match their country flag or declared country will also drop into the approval queue.

So far it's working well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.