2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Soon to be Honda owner - but advice needed!

899 views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  scaramanga 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've had a long affinity with the Civic. It was the car I always pictured myself owning from my teenage years on. I didn't learn to drive until a few years ago, well into my 20's. I reluctantly handed over my hard earned for my first car, - Fiesta 1.25 and have grown to get on with it but the time has come for something new. The thoughts of owning a Civic have come back to the forefront of my motoring desires.

Before I hear screams of 'Type R!', there's a catch! Mrs Dragunov is broody and my will to fight off her advances is lessening and so my requirements are slightly, well, tamer.

I need a good sized boot, reliability, safety and a car that doesn't bore me to tears. So I'm looking at the 2015 1.8 VTEC. Mileage-wise I'm clocking up about 8,000 a year.

Is this the car to drop the kids off to school and open up in the back roads? I've seen all manner of verdicts from 'underwhelming' (motoring media) and more positive ones (mainly from posts here). I thought it best to ask people with the real life experience of driving one.

Thanks all

See less See more
#2 ·
2015 is pretty much what is on sale now so you could get a dealer test drive to make your own mind up.

Then of course test the one you're intending to buy. The 1.8 is no slouch if you give it the revs.

Some of the motoring press have no idea. I'm still convinced the Whatcar review for the 9G is still based on the 8G. Another review moaned about having to delve into the headunit to reset the trip meters, oh no you don't, sloppy journalism.

#10 ·
Don't rule out cars because they are further away, be prepared to travel...for example you can usually buy cheaper up here in Scotland so bare that in mind as cost of a flight from Birmingham up will be next to nothing and could save you a decent amount. Enjoy looking and as mentioned above drive a few

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
im in cumbria and yes ive looked at a couple listed in scotland cheaper than what they are here but the car i looked at 2 weeks ago was £16000 with 16000 miles on clock
same model same age same spec same colour down country listed at £14000 with 11000 miles on clock
and another different colour but same spec was £14000 with 5000 miles on clock
for me ive found cars further down south are better priced

#11 ·
I bought my first civic almost a year ago. I had a Jazz before, nothing wrong with it, lots of room , comfortable, very economical, reliable, and not too bad if you revved the engine-- but a bit boring, and I got fed up with all the pitying looks from people when they saw my car. Anyway, I was in the Honda dealers , saw a new Civic Sport in white and had to have one.
You have already highlighted the good points, but the best 2 are it looks good, and its NOT a Ford/ Vauxhall/ German car !
The 1.8 goes well, especially when you rev it, or smooth when you don't.
The negative points are the Connect system was a bit dodgy, but after some updates appears to be behaving, and fuel consumption not as good as my Jazz was-- I have averaged 41.8 mpg since new, but have done less than 5000 miles so engine not loose yet, also rear visibility not the best ,but you get a camera and sensors so you get used to it.
The good points, it looks great, it passes the 'look back at your car after you wash it/ park it' test, while being extremely practical, and comfortable.-- and people say 'that's a nice car, what is it !
Try and get a long test drive and test the things you want out of it, and possibly try the 1.6 diesel which goes a lot better than you expect and better economy.
My daughter has just bought a new VW Golf R-- yes the fast one-- very nice car but I wouldn't swop my Civic for it !

#12 ·
Ive just handed my 2015 sport back after 18 months lease & it was a pleasure to drive
In fact it was one of the easiest cars i've ever driven , i even got used to driving it in eco mode all the time & the fuel economy was damn good for a petrol . I would wait a bit as prices will dive once honda roll out the new model

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.