• 2 Post By White Ice
  • 1 Post By BMW_Man
  • 2 Post By Skomaz
  • 1 Post By CraigUK

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 18th May 2017, 12:15 Thread Starter

Arrow BMW driver, looking to change

Hi all

My current daily driver is a 2010 BMW 330i, which I've had for about 6 months or so. I've failed to fall in love with it as I'd hoped to, and am now looking to make a change.

The 2012+ Civic has caught my eye as a sensible, attractive and reliable car. Having never driven one before, I'm hoping to learn more about this model, what the more common problems are, and what the various engines and trim levels are like to live with.

Any advice would be welcome.

BMW_Man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 18th May 2017, 12:52
Administrator

Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Thanked 3,705 Times in 3,415 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Welcome to
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 18th May 2017, 13:36
Supporter

Car: NHB FN2 CTR GT
Welcome, what didn't you like about the beemer?
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 18th May 2017, 14:46

Car: 2013 1.6 I-DTEC Orchid White
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Man View Post
...what the more common problems are,...

What is this new language I see...I think he must be speaking in German.
jamesmckelvie and GunneryOP77 like this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 18th May 2017, 15:33 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Welcome, what didn't you like about the beemer?
Urgh, where do I start? I really wanted to like it, and in some ways, it is a FANTASTIC car. Here's a run-down:

Pros:
Fast. As long as you have grip, in the right gear, it accelerates very quickly (268 BHP or so)
Excellent handling - best handling car I've driven, by far.
Nice, simple good looks (in my opinion).
Feels solid and well-built.

Cons:
Uncomfortable on anything but a flat, smooth road. No, it's not M-sport, just a standard SE with run-flat tyres. My partner's A3 simply glides along roads that the BMW bangs and shakes over.
Noisy - for some reason this car is very noisy on the motorway! The wind noise from the windscreen / front of the car is horrific, compared to the A3. Road noise is OK, but not great.
Stiff gear-change - sometimes it slots in nicely, other times it takes considerable effort, particularly in 1st and reverse.
Stiff clutch pedal - you'll get the left thigh of a power lifter (to match your left arm from the gear changes).
Narrow clutch "bite" zone, making it jerky in stop-start traffic
Revs dip when you pull off - very annoying, I think it's linked to the narrow "bite" zone of the clutch, needs a lot of effort to get a smooth take-off.
Throttle is too sensitive - extremely difficult to pull off smoothly, or in traffic. WHen driving quickly it's fine, but steady, smooth driving is a pain sometimes.
Revvy, gutless engine - Great when revving it up, annoying when caught trying to overtake in the wrong gear.
Boring interior - solid enough, but looks like a car 10 years older than it is - Orange dashboard lights, old-style black plastic buttons for air-con, etc.
Leather seats not comfortable, and are too slippy for a car that can corner as well as it does.
Weird injector noise around 1500 - 2000 rpm. It's a common fault, and doesn't affect the performance or longevity of the car, it just sounds horrible.
Brake discs squeal at 10mph or less - again, a common, normal fault.

Sorry that's quite a list - but there's so much that has put me off about this car, I just need a change to something completely different. I don't need speed (I normally cruise at 70mph), I don't need razor-sharp handling, but I do want to be comfortable and quiet. Fuel economy isn't too much of an issue, but an efficient car would mean my partner can use it for work, to spread the miles between our cars a bit (I don't do many miles a year myself, but she does about 20,000). Also, it means filling up less, which sounds good to me
Farqui likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 18th May 2017, 15:38
Supporter

Car: NHB FN2 CTR GT
What about an A3?
Civics are quite firm, my 8th gen type r certainly wouldn't appeal to you. 9g is firm but improved.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 19th May 2017, 08:16 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
What about an A3?
Civics are quite firm, my 8th gen type r certainly wouldn't appeal to you. 9g is firm but improved.
An A3 would be nice! However I don't want to spend the money a modern A3 commands, particularly once options like sat nav and bluetooth are present. I'd like to try something different, and I also want something reliable; something I don't have to worry about.

I was also considering a 2012+ Toyota Avensis estate, but the lower price of a civic is tempting.

EDIT: I should mention that I won't be getting a Type R! It'll probably be a 2.2 diesel civic, or a similar Avensis.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 19th May 2017, 09:00
Supporter

Car: 2006 2.2 ctdi Sport
comfortable and quiet isn't a Civic - you should be looking at a second hand Lexus
deepdown130 and Farqui like this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 19th May 2017, 09:15 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skomaz View Post
comfortable and quiet isn't a Civic - you should be looking at a second hand Lexus
Interesting, I've read that the diesel civics are very quiet and comfortable on the move. Thanks for the information.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 19th May 2017, 11:14

Car: 2009 1.8 Type S GT, Silver
Garage
I can certainly echo that the modern Civic's are a stiff ride, i have a 1.8 Petrol Type-S, which is a rung down the ladder from the Type-R, but it has a firm ride, luckily i like a firm riding car
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 19th May 2017, 12:43 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I'll certainly pay attention to the ride quality if/when I test drive a civic. Thanks for the information all
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 19th May 2017, 13:26
Supporter

Car: 2009 EXGT auto, 1999 Fiesta
Never driven a 9th gen Civic, but reports on here are generally favourable regarding ride and drive quality.

Have had/have 4 8th gen civics and happy enough with all of them (ok, did'nt get on so well with the ES model)

2012 on, I would assume you will be looking at the 9th gen cars.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 20th May 2017, 14:34

Car: 2013 1.6 I-DTEC Orchid White
I moved from a Mercedes B200 turbo to a 9th gen 1.6 diesel.
The Civic ice is 6 years it's junior can only match the B class rather than improve on it. Coming from a BMW I think your criteria would lead you to be too critical to tolerate a Civic...but, and this is where the Civic is worth its salt, I hate the build quality of German cars. I dont mean the perceived quality such as interior plastics, I mean the actual build quality. All German cars I've had previously have been in garage more times than I care to remember. The Civic just works and hasn't caused me any stress.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 21st May 2017, 06:49
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Car: CRV EX / CRZ GT
Thanked 1,132 Times in 954 Posts
If you are going to try a Civic go and test drive a 2014-2016 model year 1.6 diesel, I would not bother with the 2.2 as little to choose between them but the 1.6 is a gem and in 2014 there were a few refinements and then again in 2015 with the facelift. My guess is you want a 2014 or 2015 1.6 SR but a test drive cost nothing and if you do it in the right car you will soon know what you think.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 21st May 2017, 07:52

I went from a 2013 F11 520d M Sport Touring to a 2015 Civic 1.6 dtec Sport. The main reason for the change was to save up some money and try and bring forward my retirement plans. I'm still only 48 so still like driving.

So far I've no regrets. Sure there are things about my BMW that I miss but that's to be expected given the big step change.

Downsides are, strange seating position which is too high. I'm used to it now but it took some time to adjust. Interior trim quality is significantly lower with cheaper​ plastics everywhere, well screwed together though. That's about it.

Upsides, cheap insurance and running costs, no tax. Much easier to park than the 5 as much smaller. Also more agile and chuckable if wanting some fun. Coming from BMW MSports the ride is ok for me.

The 1.6dtec engine is good, with a Bluespark box it's great especially given the zero tax and economy.
Farqui likes this.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 22nd May 2017, 10:37 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigUK View Post
I went from a 2013 F11 520d M Sport Touring to a 2015 Civic 1.6 dtec Sport.
Thanks for your perspective.

I actually find that the seating position in my BMW is a bit too low, so I would probably get on well with the Civic's seat.

The 2015 Civic looks very smart indeed! However if I was going to spend £9-10k+ on a car, if would have to be a couple of years older that that, so that it would've shed more of its value before I bought it.

Either that or I'd have to be sure that I'd be keeping it for a long, long time

Civinfo > Welcome > Introduce yourself

Tags
bmw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page