2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

DPG87's Red Monster

208K views 2K replies 117 participants last post by  hondacivicnut 
#1 ·
Lads, been thinking about starting a build thread for a while, so over the wee while I've been collating a few pics of the car and some other bits and bobs I've added so here goes!

This happens to be my second FN2, I never modified my first one at all. Anyways, so I got this one in Feb 2010, came with the full GP pack, Rages, Badge Kit, Mats, USB connection for iPod (as standard, my 57 plate didnt have this :( ) and rear tints all done by the Sales Manager (who owned the car before me - it was 3 months old when I got it). This was her after I gave her a good clean up...

Vehicle Car Suzuki swift Automotive exterior City car

Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Wheel Rim

you get the idea...by that point I'd already added some Team Heko wind deflectors :)

Next on the list was some of JP's lights to improve on the OEM HID's. So I went for 8000K with 25 LED sidelights, I was really impressed with the results! (the pic below is the car at 3am before heading down to SUMO last month!)

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda Red

So as this was my second FN2 I wanted to try and keep things fresh and decided I wanted to start modding. So I started to pick up the parts I wanted before heading down to TDI North for what was my first visit. At that point I had fitted; a GM Intake, RRC, Milltek, Mugen Short Shifter, mapped with FlashPRO! as well as a skunk2 gear knob! (would highly recommend) This done me for a good while and I was delighted with the outcome, the car made a good 230bhp (last/hot dyno below shows 226). I then went back down again this year a month or so ago and had the FD2 cams, oil pump and TB as well as a TDI Manifold and Skunk2 Fuel Rail (again all FlashPRO mapped) and also a rather nice vented CF bonnet! as you can see in the pic above and below!). The car made a solid 245bhp (on its hot dyno) and the difference is again very noticeable and its keeping me very entertained!! :D

Vehicle Car Subcompact car Supercar

View attachment Dave Gibbons B&A.pdf

Whilst I was down that way I figured I may as well visit ABP and get some 30mm lowering springs and FRS. Must admit I was sceptical about how much difference the FRS would make to the handling day-to-day and whether or not the 30mm springs would affect the ride comfort...But im delighted that I got it done, the car looks far better, it handles superly well and the ride comfort is certainly better and nowhere near as crashy as OEM.

Alloy wheel Vehicle Tire Wheel Car

Just last week I had quite a lot of things done/ordered/arrive... So a few months back some idiot clearly decided that they'd use my car as a parking aid and scraped along the side of the back bumper onto the wheel arch :( not a happy chappy, so I couldn't stand it and I got myself booked into a local paint shop to have the car sprayed! When I bought the car it also had a small scrape on the front which I had never got fixed so I got that sorted as well as getting the door handles and fuel cap sprayed NHB too, think it looks far better than the (almost tacky plastic) OEM look... The guy I used made a cracking job of it, the colour match is almost perfect IMO (well i certainly cant notice a difference)

Alloy wheel Vehicle Red Wheel Car

I've also ordered a Tegiwa intake with carbon scoops and a Silvers BBK courtesy of Mike at BravuraSpeed! (which I'll review when I get it). I also managed to snap up a Mugen Grille off eBay on Monday there (cheers to whoever put the thread up I cant mind sorry!) so that should be delivered tomorrow! Hopefully my Red H will come tomorrow too! Again the same guy that done the car before is spraying this for a mere £40! Bargain! :D

So the Intake is getting fitted at a local garage (guy really knows his stuff) along with my Mugen Grille again the guy is only taking £80 from me to fit the intake and Grille as well as fit my GM intake onto BullySpecial's car, £40 quid a head, I thought was a great deal! So after I remove the GM I'm going to remove the blanking plates on my new CF Bonnet and replace it with some mesh! I ordered this stuff from eBay, quality seems pretty good and it'll certainly do the job I'm looking for!

Wood Floor Laminate flooring Flooring Hardwood

I've also booked myself in to get a new custom built single exit high flowing exhaust at the start of next month from a place called Meercat-exhausts! Strange name I know, but the guy is pretty well known and if you google the website and look at his work it looks of a very high standard, he also produced systems for Colin McRae's cars too! Again I'll put up a review and some pics of the work when its done!

Aside from this I also got round to fitting my J's Racing decal, actually looks even better than I thought it would tbh, really compliments the car and goes well on the milano....

Bumper Car Automotive exterior Vehicle Red

I also got this when I was last down at TDI...love this thing lol

Keychain Fashion accessory Material property Rectangle

I fitted this too...couldnt believe the quality of this btw! its expensive for what it is yes, but definitely worth it and really easy to fit with the stencil you get too!

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Emblem

These came in the post for me on saturday :)

Material property Technology

I've also added a Mugen Oil cap etc to add a touch of bling to the bay...

Vehicle Engine Car Auto part Hood

So I think thats pretty much me for now! As above new brakes, Intake and exhaust by the end of the month and I'm hoping santa will bring me some Mugen bodykit goodies! then I'm thinking it has to be rotrex...weighing up the costs of staying NA, I think it's a no brainer to go for the Rotrex next although that may not be until the year after next as I want to get a new clutch/flywheel and a diff before then!

Anyways thanks for reading!:popcorn2:

See less See more
#7 ·
Good reading mate, I love the S2 rails and your engine bay looks lovely and clean :)

Keep it up

Stephen
cheers mate! yeh I like to keep it nice and shiney in there lol I actually use a silicone spray that TDI North sell, really keeps it shining in there! Think I'll repplace the plug cover etc soon with the TDI North stuff, starting to think the OEM looks a bit rubbish? :(

nice one dave!
Cheers Chris

Awesome mate, question though - why have you replaced your GruppeM with the Tegiwa copy?

Did you go for that offer that Bravuraspeed offered?
Cheers Ed, well tbh I wanted the Mugen, but I just couldnt justify paying 3 times as much for what is essentially the same thing! Based on my discussions with Paul and what I want to do with the car etc, he was saying that I'm better getting the Mugen/Tegiwa, so as much as I love my GM and its performance and grunt (together with the bling and JDM-ness) I went on the advice and changed over to the Tegiwa!

Yeh I figured I'd try them out and be a bit different from the Stoptech's the disc is slightly bigger on these and they weigh next to nothing (probs the same as the stoptech BBK) so I'm giving them a shot to see what they are like!

#6 ·
Awesome mate, question though - why have you replaced your GruppeM with the Tegiwa copy?

Did you go for that offer that Bravuraspeed offered?

#12 ·
Thought you said it was a monster?hehe oj

Great project dude-youve choosen your mods well..hope youve got alot more planned!!lol
LOL! :p shut it Eric! lol it's getting there!

yeh plenty more to come, once I get my supercharger, my next purchase will be a P&O ticket to come whip that RS a yours :p lol

#15 ·
Ahhhh mr 87's build thread ! At last eh I told you it had nothing to do with your Lego collection :p

Looking good pal :)
haha! thats where i was getting confused :confused: lol

I know its taken long enough but I thought I may as well give it a go seeing as theres a lot happening just now!

cheers mate!

#19 ·
Cheers Ben! Can't wait to get back down!! Staying in Manchester in November for a weekend so I'll need to pop over and see what's happening! :)

your progress is fantastic mate, wish i had more dissposable income lol:facepalm:

looking forward to following your build;)
Cheers mate!...aye so do I haha

Lol no you shutup :)
Lol should I continue and say no you shut up? :p lol

#25 ·
Here you!! That was my knob ya cheeky git!! :p lol

at last some bloody pics :)

nice car mate :thumbsup: keep up the good work and i'll see ya soon dave...
actually if this meet is in gretna then i might marry your car :p and then paint it silver :lol:
Haha cheers Paul! Don't go painting her silver tho!! It's Milano FTW mind ;)

Is that rust I'm spotting ;)

Where!? Where!? :p lol

#23 ·
at last some bloody pics :)

nice car mate :thumbsup: keep up the good work and i'll see ya soon dave...
actually if this meet is in gretna then i might marry your car :p and then paint it silver :lol:

Reactions: DPG87
#26 ·
Looking good fella :cool:

#37 ·
I've also booked myself in to get a new custom built single exit high flowing exhaust at the start of next month from a place called Meercat-exhausts! Strange name I know, but the guy is pretty well known and if you google the website and look at his work it looks of a very high standard, he also produced systems for Colin McRae's cars too! Again I'll put up a review and some pics of the work when its done!
Got an exhaust from Meercat too, guy at work had recommended them - have not had any probs with it at all.

#43 ·
Cheers mate! Yeh I'm looking forward to that and your FD2, I don't think I've actually ever been in or really seen an FD2 in the metal, looking forward to it! :)

Looks great Dave,

I also had my door handles and fuel cap sprayed black last week, must say it looks alot better. Our cars look pretty much identical at the moment. But under the bonnet where it counts.... I have some catching up to do ;)

Keep the mods coming!!
Cheers mate! Yeh I think it looks far better now that they're sprayed :) I'm needing to catch up with the wing tho! Lol when you back in at TDI? :)

if your needing the rotrex, your admitting mine is quicker :p
Haha nah I'm just wanting to give you a decent excuse for when I whip you :p lol

#39 ·
Looks great Dave,

I also had my door handles and fuel cap sprayed black last week, must say it looks alot better. Our cars look pretty much identical at the moment. But under the bonnet where it counts.... I have some catching up to do ;)

Keep the mods coming!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.