2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Owners of FD2 cams..

33K views 149 replies 22 participants last post by  stoney 
#1 ·
Ok so what this thread boils down to is me really wanting the toda A3 cams. who wouldnt? ive done some pricing, and the cams plus valve springs and hours of labour im looking at some hefty cash. i dont know if i can justify that kind of money on just cams. so, looks like im following suit with many of you guys out there and probably gonna go for the fd2 cams. ive seen some dyno results and yes the fd2 cams give lower gains. what i'd like to know is, howd you rate them after installing? did you get what you expected out of them? did they give you better gains than you'd hoped for? cost verses performance would you choose them again if you had the choice? basically im after an owners opinion of them having had them in your car for a while, not a salesman :) look forward to reading your feedback

#2 ·
They do what they are meant too, They fit straight in, with no other work ( besides a tensioner and chain if you want) give you more power and lift the powerband up.

You can definately feel a difference with them, but as you say the next step is A3 which besides being more expensive cams requires a lot more work.

I don't understand why people make a cam choice less aggresive but still require valvetrain upgrades, if your spending the money to change springs etc go and fit the most aggressive cams you can which in most cases are A3s. Clockwise motion make a good cam also, comparable to A3 but less money :)

#10 · (Edited)
I don't understand why people make a cam choice less aggresive but still require valvetrain upgrades, if your spending the money to change springs etc go and fit the most aggressive cams you can which in most cases are A3s. Clockwise motion make a good cam also, comparable to A3 but less money :)
Cheeky! :lol:

I guess you are in a roundabout way talking about my valve train upgrades?

The springs have been put in in anticipation of testing new cams coming on the market very shortly. ;)

#6 ·
really? ok not many positive comments about them yet, a fair few people have them fitted though. i was swaying towards the fd2's but now im not so sure. anyone with positive feedback?

#9 ·
it depends on £ and what you want.
Sadly if you want big BHP you need big £s.

From my own experiences I am of the mindset its either all the usual RRC parts + mani + tune for a nice stage 1 car, or just charge it for good BHP.

I do like a nice rev happy NA car though

#21 ·
They should be, but experience has shown TDi-North that they really do need the valve springs. Paul had them fitted to his FN2 when it had no valve train modifications, and it they were starting to cause premature wear on the valve train when they were taken out.

So they are good first step into that realm, but as has been said, if you are doing springs then you should just go for the Toda A3s and be done with it. :lol:

Like you I'm surprised at the feeling against the FD2 cams. I had actually asked TDi-North for them but they proposed the Skunk2 ones. I thought they had a good rep and people were happy with them up to a point?

Maybe we are all just getting fed up with not hitting 250 on FD2 cams, especially when we see murray's FD2 getting 260 on breathing mods and a remap and and my mate dotty (I posted about it in the port matching thread) with the DC5 getting 253 from very similar mods.

#34 ·
My 2 cents worth. I have Toda A3 cams fitted and yes, they are a step up from FD2 cams. BUT, when you add in the the cost of cams, springs, fitting and mapping, you're looking at serious wonga for a difference that is incremental rather than night and day. If it's a real step up in power you're after, I would save your pennies and just charge the b@astard - the cost of A3s will probably eat up two thirds or so of the budget for a JRSC and not give two tenths of the performance gains.

However, if anyone wants to see what the A3s can do in a NA engine, I will be at TDI North on 5th Nov and am happy to take you out for a spin :)

#50 ·
I did but that was with motor and setup I have now then we swapped out for the A3s. Amount of work required though you wouldn't want to take on due to costs and if your doing that much you would fit madass cams anyway.

Thing to remember is they are one of the few cams you can actually fit with stock valvetrain that's why they are so popular.
Doing the springs even with them being pretty cheap is a big job labour wise. When you factor that in your into supercharger money.

#43 ·
Mmmmhhh... I just bought FD2 cams for my little project for the FN2. I'm aiming for 240 hp (Tegiwa airbox, FD2 cams and TB, RRC manifold, Toda manifold and Flashpro). Not the most agressive cams but better than fn2 cams and OEM quality.

#44 ·
Cotten - wouldn't worry that you've bought FD2 cams. They will still give you gains - ok, not as much as Toda A3 but then because the FD2 cams will work with your standard valve train, you will save a hell of a lot of money by not having to purchse dearer cams plus valve springs plus more labour fitting :)

#46 ·
i think the A3's might be the final and most costly piece of the puzzle, will get me in the 250's and i'll be happy with that. the car feels great now at nearly 240 so with the cams and valve springs.. might treat myself for xmas

#48 ·
People getting hung up on Dyno figures.
We are never ever going to make the same power on an FN2 you will on say an FD2/DC5 or even EP3 with identical mods due to the layout of the car and inherent restrictive exhaust and manifold.
All the other cars are pretty much straight runs. No 90' bends. That's where the problem lies.

Pretty much best you will see with the FD2 cams is 240bhp. Been proven with dozens of installs. They do work ad it a pretty big uplift from stock cams but a compromise if your trying to compare with A3s.

I have done DC5s and even my old EP3 with pretty much same spec as I have now and they are hitting 10bhp more.

£4£ you can't beat boosted when you start to look at the economics an seriously something to consider.

Colin - yours is typical of the cams. They do work without a doubt. Big low cam and midrange gains then drop off at the top. Exactly the same as Dezi when he had them. Also consider the manifold. I have seen the ones you have not flowing as well at high rpm. We did a back to back test with the one we and XO were doing against the Toda and yours. Toda won on peak torque and early vtec, Xo due to longer primaries made best peak but lowest torque with vtec flattened out and yours sat firmly in between good torque and peak but beaten by the other 2.

Ash - suprising Guy is saying remove them given the quantity he purchased. ;)

#49 ·
Here you go. This is all the right mods and the manifold with long primaries which reduces torque but makes power at peak. It's the sort of design you use in race cars

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/attach...outh/36050d1271416645-dyno-plots-jdm-cams.pdf

Manifolds like this are ideal for superchargers but we don't see true 4-1s normally available as they aren't great for everyday driving. This is pretty much a compromise.

With the other manifolds you see the JDM cams start to tail off as they near 8000

#51 ·
I disagree, FD2 cams = waste of money imo, I'm entitled to my opinion.

As for Guy's stock position of FD2 cams, good for him. Feel free to call him up and ask why he advised me to remove them if your really scratching your head about it.

#54 ·
Yawn questioning dyno figures, yawn.

Do you know my mods now? Nope :wink:
So cagey these days. :facepalm:

It just means you don't explain yourself and all your posts just either look like mini rants or unqualified opinions or that you just don't want to share what has worked for you.

Same with the port matching thread. You post then don't say what you've had done or what difference it made.

I'm not having a go bud seriously, but some of your posts are frustrating the hell out of me recently. :(

This is a forum for people to share their experiences and share knowledge. Think positively about this place, contribute by sharing. :grouphug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.