2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Are the Civic shock absorbers bad?

Suspension 
19K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  GHGH 
#1 ·
I don't know much about shocks but I know a little.

Are the shocks on the civic bad? Dealer says they could be the cause of knocking sound so wondered about replacing them. I get like others quite a lot of road vibration/noise too, which also could be the tyres, and it is quite a bumpy and jiggly ride.

I'd like a smooth/softer ride but obviously not to affect the handling, and wondered if anyone has replaced them with others and what the results are.

Cheers!

#3 ·
A knocking noise is never a good sign, but there is a history and a lot of threads on the site that relate to that. It is a firm ride though, but I like it (resisted the urge to say I like it rough!). Means you can feel what the car is doing.

#6 ·
the suspension creaking is quite a problem!! although bump stops from your dealer (at no cost!!) should cure your problem fine, just be sure of which corner (or corners) its coming from...

#9 ·
Had - finally - both front absorbers replaced yesterday under warranty.
Now the ride is silent and slightly better :D
Yes indeed, mine were also replaced a while ago under warranty, the slight improvement is noticeable. I find it a lot better at lower speeds, the shocks seem to be more willing to absorb the shock (that last sentence is not going to win a beauty price :D)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.