Suspension Suspension - Civinfo

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 15th April 2017, 01:51 Thread Starter

Suspension

Click the image to open in full size.
Just found these on eBay £151 all set up easy to install as mine offside suspensions leaking went today at kwitfit and they quoted £140 each so defiantly they not installing the very best or genuine suspension in so decided to do myself what you guys recommend ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 15th April 2017, 04:31

You got a link for them

Sent from my Robin using Tapatalk
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 15th April 2017, 21:38

Car: 2011 Civic Type S
Garage
My understanding of pre-assembled struts and springs are that they are perfectly functional and safe but never going to be as good as dedicated seperate items from high end brands when it comes to ride comfort or longevity.

If my car was 12 years old and I wanted a quick freshen up to get it through the MOT and another few years use, yeah I'd get them. If I wanted to see a drastic improvement for a long term commitment I'd be getting a tailored set up. We'll known brands do tend to be more expensive but for good reason.

If considering the 'pre-assembled' option I've heard that Monroe have decent offerings. I'm not sure if they do civic struts however.

Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
musegroove and adnan0110 like this.
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 17th April 2017, 20:26
GT3
Supporter

Don't skimp on suspension parts, the car will be bouncing everywhere after a few thousand miles.

Which model do you own? For a 1.8 Civic, front OEM Sachs dampers are £70 each, and rears are £50 each. If you want to save money, replace the leaking shock with an OEM damper rather than buying cheap parts.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 17th April 2017, 21:19

So are anschler shock absorber better or worse than Sachs ! I was wondering this as I've got them on the front and there slightly bouncy!!

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 17th April 2017, 21:42

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fkkirk View Post
So are anschler shock absorber better or worse than Sachs ! I was wondering this as I've got them on the front and there slightly bouncy!!

I think another thing to consider is what the composition of the shock is; oil or gas...

My originals were Sachs oil filled struts and they were rock hard, I swapped out to Sachs gas struts (admittedly on new springs as well) and it transformed the car. A lot softer and more comfortable.

Try the bounce test. The car should depress, rise and settle in a 3 step motion. If it bounces more than that then the dampers are worn regardless of brand.

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 17th April 2017, 22:18
GT3
Supporter

It could also be that the dampers aren't matched to the springs, rather than being worn out (if they are fairly new).

Anschler is a good enough brand, so they shouldn't be any different to standard. However, if you fitted 1.8 petrol dampers to the front of your 2.2 CDTi for example, then the ride would be very bouncy, as the springs on the diesel are stiffer due to increased weight over the front end (hence require different dampers).
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 17th April 2017, 23:20

Car: 2006 1.8 ES petrol v-tech
Monroe do make them at around £38 each for fronts. Just had one replaced on mine at a garage for £120 including a new drop link.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 18th April 2017, 02:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwifty View Post
I think another thing to consider is what the composition of the shock is; oil or gas...

My originals were Sachs oil filled struts and they were rock hard, I swapped out to Sachs gas struts (admittedly on new springs as well) and it transformed the car. A lot softer and more comfortable.

Try the bounce test. The car should depress, rise and settle in a 3 step motion. If it bounces more than that then the dampers are worn regardless of brand.

Hi, i need new shock for the front and i was thinking to go for SACHS, but after reading this i have some questions... Mine is a 1.8 sport, low height and hard suspension from factory and now all of SACHS shock is pressure of gas, what does this mean? Will my car now be higher and softer suspension?
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 18th April 2017, 06:20

Garage
I don't know what the exact spec of the original ride height was... but the new shocks were exactly the same size as the old ones that I ripped out, the springs I put on lowered the car by 15mm.

Still improved it despite being lowered, I'm all for a firm ride but the originals jus banged everywhere .

Cheers

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 18th April 2017, 10:22

Car: 2008 Type S GT 2.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwifty View Post

I'm very interested in this. Are these relatively new on the market?

I ended up with coilovers cos I hated the OEM shocks' crashiness.

Id like to go back to OEM parts eventually (bit of a pain stripping out engine bay to get access to top mounts for setting the camber), if I though the gas shocks were a major improvement on the original oils then I'd happily fit them.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 18th April 2017, 10:26

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type 666 View Post
I'm very interested in this. Are these relatively new on the market?

I ended up with coilovers cos I hated the OEM shocks' crashiness.

Id like to go back to OEM parts eventually (bit of a pain stripping out engine bay to get access to top mounts for setting the camber), if I though the gas shocks were a major improvement on the original oils then I'd happily fit them.
No bolt on magic carpet ride I'm afraid... but it was a very noticeable difference and all of a sudden the digits on the receipts didn't matter any more.

I'm no expert but I bought gas struts and the original shocks I pulled out were misting oil. So I can only assume that's what they were filled with 😂

I'm pretty sure the 9G civic's run on a gas strut setup and they are a lot more comfortable (mine is similar in comparison having been out in both). Fully independent would be nice but can't have everything I guess 😂

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 18th April 2017, 12:07

So you reckon your 8 gen rides almost as good as a 9 gen? And I've only heard good things about the 9g's ride quality.

After doing a Google search I can't find any other posts about these shocks on these forums.

Definetly keeping an eye on these for the future!
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 18th April 2017, 12:23

Garage
Quote:
So you reckon your 8 gen rides almost as good as a 9 gen? And I've only heard good things about the 9g's ride quality.

After doing a Google search I can't find any other posts about these shocks on these forums.

Definetly keeping an eye on these for the future!
I do personally, someone may disagree. But having been in both I can say it's pretty damn similar.

Nothing but chuffed with mine!

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 18th April 2017, 22:47

Can I ask where you got them? And how much they set you back?

I'm presuming you bought a full set.

Potentially great news - only took them 10 years to finally sort out the ride on the 8th gen!

I hope they're available for the diesel!
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 19th April 2017, 05:43

Garage
Quote:
Can I ask where you got them? And how much they set you back?

I'm presuming you bought a full set.

Potentially great news - only took them 10 years to finally sort out the ride on the 8th gen!

I hope they're available for the diesel!
Just Cox. Full set, though I had to purchase via their sales email address, was slightly dear as they were out of stock and had to source from Honda 😒 the shocks probably set me back half a bag of sand as a result

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 19th April 2017, 08:11

Springs as well?

I have the Eibach lowering springs on my old OEM shocks.

I've been through the mill as far as suspension goes with my car - even finding a garage to fit coilovers properly was a trial (and then I had a brand new set fail on me after 1 day on the car!)

Hearing about these gas shocks is great, would like to read a few more reviews though.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 19th April 2017, 09:17

Garage
Quote:
Springs as well?

I have the Eibach lowering springs on my old OEM shocks.

I've been through the mill as far as suspension goes with my car - even finding a garage to fit coilovers properly was a trial (and then I had a brand new set fail on me after 1 day on the car!)

Hearing about these gas shocks is great, would like to read a few more reviews though.
Springs not included, I've just gone down to grays for work this morning and the road surfaces here are naff. Didn't notice anywhere near as much as before !!

Edit* eibach pro-kit here

Last edited by Schwifty; 19th April 2017 at 09:38.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 19th April 2017, 13:09

Just took a look at my original OEM shocks made by Sachs and it appears they too are gas shocks.

But looking online the recommended Sachs have a blue sticker on them so they might be an upgrade?
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 19th April 2017, 13:22

And typing in a search in Euro Car Parts for shocks for the 9th gen gives the exact same shock absorber.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Wheels, Tyres, Suspension and Brakes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page