Civinfo

Civinfo (https://www.civinfo.com/forum/)
-   10G Type R (https://www.civinfo.com/forum/10g-type-r/)
-   -   Brake noise - FK8 (https://www.civinfo.com/forum/10g-type-r/391369-brake-noise-fk8.html)

ash_rage 13th November 2017 10:49

Brake noise - FK8

Hi

Anyone else putting up with horrendus brake squealing when braking on there FK8?

Mine is intolerable.

Jabberwocky 13th November 2017 11:29

It's a known issue (I believe that the FK2 does it too), mine squeals like crazy too. It appears to be down to the pads been a bit better than your average Honda pads and they might need bedding in.

I followed this Stop-Tech guide:
Stock Brake System Bed-in

It did seem to help although it was not done under the best of conditions so may not have been as effective as it could have been. I have still have a little brake squeal but it does seem very much reduced. I may well try the procedure again when I get chance, to see if I can eliminate it completely.

veehexx 13th November 2017 11:40

it's normal.
practically all the big brake cars have the same issue - evo's, audi RS-something. solution is to actually use the brakes and not brake so lightly.

i've put it down to pad compound... performance pads (or standard for our brembo's) have more hard stuff in them, so doing a lot of light braking exposes more of the harder stuff and thats the stuff that squeals. No idea if thats actually true but definitely helps by being more aggressive on the brakes.

ash_rage 13th November 2017 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by veehexx (Post 5105985)
definitely helps by being more aggressive on the brakes.

Ive heard that before. Ill do that.

My FK2 never did it

Jabberwocky 13th November 2017 12:03

Trouble is in stop-start traffic queues its difficult to be hard on the brakes and that is where the problem is at its worst.

ash_rage 13th November 2017 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jabberwocky (Post 5105969)
It's a known issue (I believe that the FK2 does it too), mine squeals like crazy too. It appears to be down to the pads been a bit better than your average Honda pads and they might need bedding in.

I followed this Stop-Tech guide:
Stock Brake System Bed-in

It did seem to help although it was not done under the best of conditions so may not have been as effective as it could have been. I have still have a little brake squeal but it does seem very much reduced. I may well try the procedure again when I get chance, to see if I can eliminate it completely.

Arent you supposed to do that when you get the car? I recall doing it on my Stoptecs on my FN2

Jabberwocky 13th November 2017 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by ash_rage (Post 5106025)
Arent you supposed to do that when you get the car? I recall doing it on my Stoptecs on my FN2

I certainly had no instruction to follow that procedure from the dealer and I haven't seen anything in the handbook but then it is massive so it could be in there somewhere, but where is anyone's guess.

All I can say is that it did seem to help things.

ash_rage 13th November 2017 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jabberwocky (Post 5106041)
I certainly had no instruction to follow that procedure from the dealer and I haven't seen anything in the handbook but then it is massive so it could be in there somewhere, but where is anyone's guess.

All I can say is that it did seem to help things.

Dealer handovers aren't what they used to be like :frown2:

Arsenal 13th November 2017 17:33

My dealer told me (way in advance, well because I wasn't allowed to test drive the new demonstrator that day) that the brakes need a 500 km break in phase, otherwise there is a high risk of them being horrible afterwards.

I guess I'll ask for details what and how that is supposed to be done.

dweezle 13th November 2017 18:13

Cold weather doesn't help,
There's a chap on the TRO forum who posted a clip of his and it's bloody loud, the dealer and Honda have declined it as an issue, I know they squeak but his was another level

dweezle 13th November 2017 18:17

scotty44 23rd March 2018 23:31

Yep, sure is a head turner.... not the car the squealing :surprise:

ash_rage 1st April 2018 15:07

Honda wouldn't accept any fault.

I appreciate it will make some noise, but it was so loud it was ridiculous.

Decided to sell the car. This was one of the reasons.

They just lost a 11 year customer

dweezle 1st April 2018 16:00

The chap from the clips did the same, sold up and got an amg

ash_rage 1st April 2018 23:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by dweezle (Post 5280833)
The chap from the clips did the same, sold up and got an amg

Its so loud it wakes my 2 year old daughter in the car

Pretty embarrassing when people are looking at the car cause of the noise.

I've had 3 cars with BBKs, none sounded like this.

I've gone with Range Rover

FergyCiv 2nd April 2018 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by ash_rage (Post 5280769)
Honda wouldn't accept any fault.

I appreciate it will make some noise, but it was so loud it was ridiculous.

Decided to sell the car. This was one of the reasons.

They just lost a 11 year customer

Oh well. Thatís what Honda gets. Sorry to hear that youíre disappointed. Sucks when they couldnít care less. Idiots!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron240 2nd April 2018 13:55

Sorry to hear about the lack of sympathy from your Honda dealer. :(
This problem does not affect all Type R's because mine is fine.....however this will be of little consequence to you.
Surprised to hear what you are replacing your FK8 with....couldn't be more polar opposite.
Range Rover is an amazing vehicle but I wouldn't buy one for 2 reasons - I couldn't afford one and it wouldn't fit inside my garage. :lol:

dotty 2nd April 2018 18:40

Ash sorry to see you sold.

In many ways the fk8 is flawless.

In many ways it isnít.

Iíve just had a gearbox replaced , and low and behold the very same lock out symptom from 5>4 gear has returned. Much to my frustration. I am in a group chat with other owners who are experiencing the same issues plus more.

dweezle 2nd April 2018 20:13

Bad news that, was hoping that would of been the end of it.
I've also had pm's from an fk2 owner experiencing 4th gear issues, he's booked in tomorrow so should hear back.
His is a 2017 plate, I'm convinced this is due to being American made, 15 plates were Swindon made and I'm sure I've not heard of a box issue, there after it's been issue after issue with both models

dotty 2nd April 2018 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by dweezle (Post 5282537)
Bad news that, was hoping that would of been the end of it.
I've also had pm's from an fk2 owner experiencing 4th gear issues, he's booked in tomorrow so should hear back.
His is a 2017 plate, I'm convinced this is due to being American made, 15 plates were Swindon made and I'm sure I've not heard of a box issue, there after it's been issue after issue with both models

No modification to the box from new , I never had any issues with either of the fk2 boxes (both 15 cars)