2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

New Impreza - A better redesign job than the 9G Civic

8K views 59 replies 25 participants last post by  D_Fizzle 
#1 · (Edited)
Another compare thread. This is supposed to be coming out at the end of the year.

Despite it kind of looking like the old Kia C'eed, it has a certain appeal to it. The usual Scooby boxer engine (also in diesel) and all wheel drive add something unique. Interior looks decent - sensible positioning of the nav and a real handbrake.

Way off the mark compared to the 9G Civic?

See less See more
#2 ·
The front is certainly a lot more prominent, looks more aggressive than the previous gen too. While the hatch body works well enough for the standard car I really wasn't a fan of the STI hatch last gen, too used to the image of saloon styled evo's & scoobies.

[Edit] - any back end shots of it?

#6 ·
I can see Subaru doing a Daihatsu and withdrawing from the European market. They, unfortunately, are selling such a reduced volume compared to their peak, together with the strength of the Yen, they are making no money.

The BRZ may provide a short term boost but........

#10 ·
If you discount the WRX, they have already stopped selling the Impreza. This isn't coming until the end of the year.

The trouble with Subaru is that they took too long with the diesel, and when it did come, eco wise it wasn't quite there. It is telling that in the US where diesel isn't as big, they are still doing well.

A true petrol head brand though, a mild come back could be on the cards if they improve eco. The Legacy boxer diesel would be top of my list if it wasn't for the 2-3 year used values.

#8 ·
Subaru have made one of the biggest changes to there designs, and with every single change it gets worse.

#9 ·
I'm sure a 3 door fast version will look waaay different to that, so I'm not too worried yet.

#19 ·
I'm not sure why but I don't like it, just doesn't look right.
Agreed the interiors have always been behind but this new one looks worse than anything else I can think of

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

#24 ·
Not an exciting interior, but it looks ok compared to the 9G. Some of the trim accents look nice. The nav/info screen looks good.

I think with the boxer engine, best in class 4WD, it's a fairly appealing alternative choice compared with the Civic. Just sayin...

Having said that, prices will be high, dealers thin on the ground and eco features not the best.

#28 ·
The interiors are the major let down for Subarus I feel.

Although they have improved in some of the newest models, the Legacy for example still feels like an 80s Toyota or 90s Hyundai, but these are not cheap cars.

#30 ·
Ford looks better imo

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

#32 ·
Interesting that the US version of this car is already out (in 'Sedan' form)

Autoblog reviewed it, and said about the interior:

"We've been quick to rail on the Japanese automaker for building interiors well behind the curve in the past, and it appears Subaru has finally moved to cure that ail. The 2012 Impreza now features a vastly improved material selection inside. The driver gets to enjoy a three-spoke, multi-function steering wheel, and our 2.0 Premium tester came equipped with a very attractive two-tone interior. The dash is covered in squeak-fighting soft-touch materials, and while the center stack isn't anything we'd consider beautiful, the controls are logically organized and easy to manipulate. Perhaps the best place to see an improvement is the vehicle's front door panels. These pieces have been a wasteland of hard plastic in the past, but with soft touch uppers, well-grained plastics and cloth inserts, the panels now use a multitude of materials to improve the overall feel of the cabin. On the whole, the interior is a massive improvement, though it's a bit sober and lacks cutting-edge infotainment options."

#36 ·
Not for me I'm afraid.

#39 ·
I did, and it wasn't a standard run of the mill looking hatchback like most cars on the road now, I do see where you coming from though..

But saying that I didn't like the STI or WRX or whatever the last hatch back thing had tbh, not a Subaru impreza... Awful redesign imo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.