2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Warranty.. still only 3 years?

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  hondacivicnut 
#1 ·
I am amazed that when several manufactures are offering 5 or even 7 year warranties that Honda with their reputation are now being so over shadowed!

Surely it is time they stood up to the challenge?

#4 ·
Car makers either spend their money on development and get it right first time, or by gambling (offering a big warranty) and hoping it pays off. I dont think that components are designed to just last their warranty period! Anyway, Japanese car companies seem fairly conscientious - just look how many recalls they (Toyota especially) make. A long warranty doesn't seem to guarantee you a better or more reliable car.

#5 ·
IMO a 5 year warranty would not do the Honda brand any harm..... for christ's sake vauxhall can offer a lifetime warranty (if you keep the car and have FVSH)

vauxhall for pity's sake!!!!!

#7 ·
very clever this as it only applies to the first owner and we all know if you can afford a brand new car then what are the chances you will keep this more than 3-5 years? Very low I think but do agree Honda should step up to the mark and offer 5 year warranties as standard

#11 ·
It's probably because people generally think that a good ol' Honda will last way more than 3 years in any case without huge problems, which is generally the case. Also not all manufacturer warranty's are created equal. The BMW new car or AUC warranty is probably one of the best and you can actually keep renewing this every year up to 100,000 as far as i can remember. The Vauxhall warranty sounds good but on paper it's very exclusionary for all the major covered components.

#12 · (Edited)
Have been reading this with great interest- I love Honda as a brand any other petrol implement has a Honda engine but personally I think Honda should up it's game, and very quickly!

2 years past June/July I went around all the houses looking for a soft 4x4. Honda CRV was my first choice- quite a few had impressed and I had a extended test drive with the CRV as I really wanted 2 Hondas on the drive after did all the due diligence with cost ect. Loved that motor. But couldn't get it to stack up.

I bought a hyundia ix35 as my daily driver I had done 38.5k on it's 2nd annual service in August so my honda warranty would have been finished.

I have 5yrs unlimited millage and if work picks back up I will exceed a 100k without problem. In the 5 years I intend to keep it
It has been a great car, no problems or faults premium spec with leather cost about 20.5k managed a great deal on a brand new to the market model the same spec CRV was close to 30k. Granted the CRV is more Santa Fe size but Honda had no other options at this time and the Ix was the perfect size.
I realise the Honda will hold it's residuals better but either way who want's to buy a 100k 5 year old car.

In these harsh economic conditions- when "nearly every" new generation or face lift is more expensive and bigger from the main stream manufacturers they need to take stock life's only going to get harder!
First was the Koreans
Now renault have Dacia
Oh and the Chinese are coming
Then the Indians!

But show me your civic sized 4x4 SUV sell it at a reasonable cost with a decent warranty and I'll look at it in a couple of years along with the Koreans ect.

#14 · (Edited)
5 or 7 years main dealer servicing cost to keep up your warranty- ouch.
Paid £250 for 3yrs servicing will worry about year 4/5 even it happens can get a Independent garage to service as long as they are vat registered and use genuine parts. Needs to go for body check up every year which is free ;).
Front tyres lasted 17k swop new to rear changed front again at 28k.
New rear brake pads as advised on service changed at local independent at 39k. Who checked the car over for me as I suspected shoddy service. All clear
Nowt else required :D

#15 ·
I have followed this for some days since starting, I sum up what replies have been, much as I started the thread.. Honda are not competitive on warranty, we all know their history and love them for it, they just fail to improve their warranty for whatever marketing reason/fear of cost to them!

Usually NH Dan is on things like this like a hot potato! Maybe HUK or dan will be reading and feeding back.. more as standard is required!

HUK offering the minimum has be a issue for me since the FN2 launch with equipment missing that should have been standard but then appeared years later on the car,, HID and LSD anyone! HUK scrape the barrel, not push "what if" :confused:

#16 ·
Well said :popcorn:
And as far as I am concerned they lost out my last buy:D which is a shame as my local dealer is amazing, I would have paid the extra with a like for like warranty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.