2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

What is the best ipod solution?

AUX in 
4K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  The Phantom 
#1 ·
I need to get my i-pod in my Type R Driving is so boring without it! There have been alot of posts about it and just wondering what the best option is?

Also anyone have any pics from the installs?

Cheers, Dean

#2 ·
Driving Type R .............. Boring ................... in the same sentence?!?!?!?! i bet there are thousands of civic owners who would trade with you. But yeh the whole stereo ipod thing is a complete let down. I HATE the stereo in my Type R, the quality is sooooo poor! and the honda ipod thing isnt any better.

Anyway back to the topic ...................

#11 ·
I'm loving the H+K Drive system, but it means stripping out half the dash to fit it properly.
Still the sound quality and control of the Ipod is second to none. Love the blue jog wheel and mini screen.

Although I believe there is a Drive 2 system which is blue tooth which would cut down on the dash board mods.

#12 ·
I'm loving the H+K Drive system, but it means stripping out half the dash to fit it properly.
Still the sound quality and control of the Ipod is second to none. Love the blue jog wheel and mini screen.

Although I believe there is a Drive 2 system which is blue tooth which would cut down on the dash board mods.
What is the H+K Drive system?

Really want to get this sorted now, want ipod control in the car but i have not got the guts to be taking my car apart!!

#13 ·
I have to say that having had the Honda ipod system for a couple of months now I love it. No track names in the display doesn't bother me. Your mileage may vary though, I usually just listen to a playlist of podcasts and disc 8 shuffle mode :)

#14 ·
H+K is Harman + Kardon.

Most people how have it, have the Drive+ Play system:
harman/kardon
It basically is a second set of ipod controls with a second b/w ipod screen (similar to Gen 3 ipods). They were going for around £60 from most online ICE sellers.

But there is now the Drive + Play 2 system which is very similar but has a colour screen, and appears to be virtually wireless.
harman/kardon

Downside is that you'll still need to access the back of the head unit to install, and the price is a bit more (around £150 IIRC).

For the H+K Drive system you also need (or at the very least are better off with) the Connects 2 Unit for mimicking the CD changer/Aux interface in the OEM head unit.

#20 · (Edited)
Is anything?

To be honest you would have to contact H+K to check. If it uses the standard Ipod dock cable then there's a chance it might. Remember the Drive+Play is relatively old tech.

The D+P 2 might be better, but then again costs more.

Edit - I checked the US D+P 2 website and it says that the iPhone is compatible but not to Apples approved standards (then again nothing is as yet). Should work but you'll get an error message. NOTE: This is for the Drive + Play 2 model (looks to be around £200 - $400). There is nothing about iPhones for the original cheap Drive + Play that you'll pick up on eBay for £30.

#16 ·
Ipod solution: Easy, Don't buy one, an ipod I mean not a civ'.

Tom

#21 ·
Tom

CD's are so old hat these days, also the multi changer fills the centre armrest so there would be nowhere to put the Sat nav, sunglasses, phone charger wire and kids colouring stuff!!!

#19 ·
I seem to remember that a recent advert said that 5 door civics now have an aux socket. Is this true?

Not that it makes any difference to me - but may make things easier for new purchasers or dealers may be able to retro fit.

#28 ·
I seem to remember that a recent advert said that 5 door civics now have an aux socket. Is this true?

Not that it makes any difference to me - but may make things easier for new purchasers or dealers may be able to retro fit.
Can any one answer this?

#25 ·
#27 ·
That's fair enough. I got alot of grief from my co-workers for stripping out half a NEW car to fit it.

In reality it's not too hard to fit, if you take your time and are careful not to force anything too much.

I'm sure a decent dealer would fit it (after complaining for ages that it would invalidate your warranty and trying to sell you the less useful Honda OEM part.)

I mean mine fitted no standard parking sensors.

#31 ·
I think if it's non Honda parts it's entirely up to the dealer whether they will fit them. Some will some won't. My dealer fitted aftermarket parking sensors for me but these do not really effect any onther system as all they require is a power feed from the reverse light.

With regards to warranty, I would be doubtful that Honda would honour any claims against your stereo, as the aftermarket parts should only effect the head unit aux in.

The dealer would/should offer some warranty on the work they carry out (against things like dash board rattles caused by installation) but would probably not honour claims against the actual electronic parts as these were purchased by yourself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.