2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Rust on doors

Bodywork 
51K views 148 replies 64 participants last post by  markyheth 
#1 · (Edited)
While looking in one germany civic forum I came across an topic about rust on Civic Type S (so far some cars). Few of forum members found rust on they doors in top corner under the rubber and nobody is sure of cause and how....

Some pics...

On of owneres removed rubber further more and this is what he saw....

(inner part of door)

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd be straight round the dealers, you've got (in the UK at least) a 5 year(?) corrosion warranty, I'd want a new door if it's gonna rust like that.

Tom

#4 ·
Same here.

Tom

#5 ·
The reason is pretty obvious I guess, the fixing of the outside black "plate" is rubbing on the paint, when it gets to the metal corrosion can start. Got to check on mine...
Then again, if the part is zinc plated this should not go further, there will be one corroded "spot" and nothing else. That again makes me think it won't be a corrosion warranty case (as only perforating corrosion is covered AFAIK)

#9 ·
Thanks to ante00 for posting this and to do this job for me [smilie=ebil-thumbu:

Some of the pics i have taken last week and I was really surprised that a 6 month car could breed such amounts of rust ( Yes, I am the poster of the original thread).

Probably it's a problem of 3-door models , 5D-owners couldn't find rust in this place.
It seems in germany nearly 50% of the FN-owners are affected.
I also sent the pics to my dealer and to honda europe too and I am waiting for reply.

sorry for my lousy english ;)

Rava

#30 ·
Probably it's a problem of 3-door models , 5D-owners couldn't find rust in this place
Considering my 2006 5-door is spotless the "theory" of body flexing seems plausible but that would mean that
- the bodywork is not too stiff :(
- the paint is porous and so is the zinc layer beneath (if there really is one)
- Honda is getting into BIG problems soon if they don't sort it out. Rust is not a thing that can be tolerated in any modern car.

#10 ·
Better than my German mate.

ATB,
Tom

#11 · (Edited)
ok i have this too not as bad but it is in the early stages on both doors!

i went to honda today, they took some photos and told me to go to the honda approved body shop 5 mins away for them to have a look.

the problem, it seems, is the lack of paint thickness(sounds about right being a honda lol) and moisture has got into it and possibly gone down insida the door (however there is no evidence of this)

there are two options it seems:

1) replace both doors, take all my old parts out of the doors (type-r) and stick them into the new door, spray the doors and blend into the bodywork!

This i am not happy with really because it could be a bad match and its only 1 yr old tomorrow! :-( plus the car is mint and i dont want both sides to be resprayed after only 12mths

2)do a local repair, which no one will ever see due to the trim covering everything up. however problem with this is that if it ever comes back(the rust) the the guy said that -that is that and there is nothing else that honda will pay for..... that is awful i think.

So i am left in a bit of a situation, take a risk and protect the cars integrity, or half both sides of the car resprayed, new doors and lots of broken clips where they move all of the parts from the old door to the new one!

the dealer will call me tomorrow, what do you think i should do? also i have only just got the 3rd gear fix done, not happy really. what about asking for some compensation from them.

Cheers Pete

#13 ·
Pete,
That must be really annoying for you. It's not clear to me from the pictures what's going on, you say it's lack of paint. I'd be inclined to hold off making a decision for a while as there may be more information to come on this one. Honda may issue a recall, since potentially it could cost them a load of money.

If it is lack of paint then I would want to know how extensive the affected area is before making a decision.

#14 ·
i shall get my camera out tomorrow and post up some pice of mine. its in ite early stages which is good but i wonder how long honda will want to wait before ordering the repair....

the bodyshop man showed me some areas and commented how he could see thru the paint to the metal, thats crazily thin paint!!!! aarrrrgh!!

i may just drive it into a tree...... (joking)

#15 ·
Checked mine and I have the same early signs.
Frankly I'm in shock. What with the developing rattles and squeaks and now rust within 9 months!

When I bought into Honda I thought I was getting legendary build quality and bullet proof reliabilty. I will watch developments with interest.

FFS, I've got a 4 year old Renault van with no rust or bleedin' rattles.

May be a Jap firm, but I'm starting to believe they are built the typical British car worker. Poor qualtiy control.

#16 ·
I've got rust on mine too, only on one door seriously (the drivers), but there early signs are there on the passenger side too, will be taking this in ASAP. I've only had the car, about 5 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom

#18 ·
I'm booked in this afternoon, 3.30, will advise upon return.

ATB,
Tom

#21 ·
I'm tempted to record the conversation at the dealers this arvo, what do others think??

Tom

#22 ·
you may be the 1st to report this. if the other memeber had not got this from another forum we would never have known.

honda may do a recall as this must be similar to the windscreen rubbing on the roof and causing rust.

would be nice to here what they say.

#23 ·
I'll take notes and transcribe for you all, they were most suprised to hear of it.

Tom

#25 · (Edited)
I've just got in from honda and tha answer is:

"Tough Sh*t" (from the impression I got)

They asked how I'd spotted it, and I said being honest-(ish) that I had noticed it whilst inspecting my seals and applying vinyl and rubber care during routine cleaning and my weekly checks (as advised in the manual somewhere), I also said a friend had told me about the rust on their type S and I re-checked and found it in the same place. They then took some photo's, and sent me down the road to their body shop to get the paint thickness tested, unfortunately their tester had been locked away and they couldn't do it (convenient! hmmmm).

Well whilst chatting to their guy, he says, again how did I notice it (what does that matter?) and that Honda in all honesty won't do anything as every car gets it!!!!!!! So the corrosion warranty we have is worth s*it really, if it doesn't cover rust!!!!! And also it is my fault it is there!, in that I have driven the car, and the flexing of the bodywork opens small cracks in the paint around seems and they naturally go rusty. I told them there and then that if Honda don't cover it and give me a note certifying it has been done and they will correct any further rust found, there will be legal action, as I find this unnaceptable, my last three cars were all far older (I told them this too), and I never had rust on any of them!!!!!!

Also as it is not in a visible area, they are more likely to refuse the claim, they asked why I got defensive and my answer was simply, that if there is rust at that seem, who's to say there is not rust on other door seems!? I don't want to be going down the MW in a couple f years and have part of my door come off, or (god forbid) have an accident like a side impact and find then the dorr isn't sturdy enough!

So over all, it appears once again Honda don't care about their customers.

I will be complaining to HUK and HJ if this is not sorted.

Tom [smilie=mad.gif] [smilie=thumbdown.g:

#26 ·
Tom, that is just simply unacceptable. i am reading your post with the most disbelief.

I had my car serviced today(at another dealership) and whilst waiting I thought I would have a look at their type r in the showroom, unregistered and not outside in the elements....... was the rust there too??????..........oh yes!!!!

so you can tell them that the body flexing thing is a pile of BULLLLLLLLLLL!

Also being my first service today, part of it entails looking at the car for corrosion, but they didnt find it.

Im keeping that little gem for my list I shall be prepareing.....

So did they say you would be contacted once the dealer had spoken to HUK? I should have got a phone call form the dealer today but didn't!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.