2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Best way to mount a TomTom?

Satnav 
17K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Kremmen 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I recently purchased a TomTom 920T for my newly aquired Honda Civic. I had considered having the Honda satnav installed but for some £1400, it seemed a whopping sum so I decided against it.

Anyhow, I've got a TomTom and so far so good, I'm liking the interface and the screen is clear and precise. The driving instructions are good and straight out of the box, it's very easy to setup and use. The packaging too was very smart - very Apple-esque.

I'm impressed with the device, and it seems a good purchase, but there's one thing I hate - the cabling and the mounting. I've not used it much so far, but when I have done I've stuck it in the top corner of the windscreen and I hate wiring it up when it runs out of battery. As standard, the TomTom only comes with a windscreen mount - those infernal things that leave rings on my otherwise sparkling windscreen.

So, what I need now is a better mounting solution. Here's the inside of my civic (as you're all no doubt familiar with!):

Excuse my horrible scribbling, I had to use the trackpad on my laptop. The red circle (so-called) is where I'd like to put the TomTom. There's lots of space there, and it could easily be placed without obstructing the clock/audio display in the dash. The trouble is, the TomTom's ports are on its underside, so if I put it down on the dash, I can't connect any wires to it.

Also in the TomTom 920T bundle is one of these in USB form, for connecting to the PC:

The dock itself looks really smart and the TomTom fits very nicely. What I would really like is one of those with a car charger on the other end, instead of a USB cable. That way I could stick the dock to the dash and I think it'd look smart.

The other problem I have is where the charger cable has to go. The red arrow on the picture of my car's interior points to where the cigarette lighter is housed. Truly a horrible position, so I've got to have a wire running from there to the sat-nav.

Last but not least, the TomTom 920T comes with some sort of traffic cable. I haven't tried it yet cause it'll involve having the cable right up the windscreen. Don't think there's anyway to avoid that.

So to sum it all up, the TomTom itself seems great, but putting it nicely into the civic is easier said than done. Spending the extra on a built-in Satnav might just have been worth it.

Does anybody know of a good mounting solution for the Civic? How can I use my TomTom without ruining the interior look of the car? :confused:

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi Kremmen, thanks for the tip!

I've just had a look on the Brodit website though and I can't find any mounts made for the Civic dash. My picture probably isn't clear enough that, what I'm after is something that'll let me put the TomTom on the flat part of the dash. In front of the clock, the flat surface above the air vents.

Or maybe I'm just not seeing it on the Brodit site...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.