59 plate civic - slow throttle response - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 4th June 2015, 23:26 Thread Starter

59 plate civic - slow throttle response

Hi all, I'm new here!

Just picked up my civic ES 2.2 diesel with 74000 miles on the clock on Monday. I'm returning it to the garage for repair of a rear door not opening from inside or out!

Anyways I have the infamous clutch squeaking noise from the get go but the car seems to have self healed and that's has gone away (maybe because it was sat on the garage for court for a few months????)

I notice a slight delay in acceleration, I panicked thinking this could be the clutch but when I Rev the engine the Revs don't climb with no car movement. My question is: has the civic got a slow throttle response? And what is the response time of the digital speedometer?

Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 4th June 2015, 23:32
Administrator

Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Thanked 4,143 Times in 3,839 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Welcome to

There shouldn't be any delay in acceleration. Although the standard OEM map isn't as responsive and doesn't have the urge of a remap.

What did you drive previously? Might that be throwing you a bit?

Could your delay be due to turbo lag? Are you accelerating from low rpm in a high gear?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 5th June 2015, 08:50 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farqui View Post
Welcome to

There shouldn't be any delay in acceleration. Although the standard OEM map isn't as responsive and doesn't have the urge of a remap.

What did you drive previously? Might that be throwing you a bit?

Could your delay be due to turbo lag? Are you accelerating from low rpm in a high gear?
Hey thanks for the reply!

I have come from a fiat grande punto 1.4! And it's a 1 second (ish) delay in gears above third, first diesel car I've owned so I think it may be turbo lag??

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 5th June 2015, 08:53
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
You should appreciated the torque of the derv then.

The turbo needs a fair few rpm to give boost.

It could be, have a drive and play around with rpm and gears to find what works best for you.
Thanks to Farqui from:
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 5th June 2015, 09:59
Ex-Pat Geordie!

Car: 2015 Civic S Navi I-dtec
Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inlucidity View Post
Hi all, I'm new here!

Just picked up my civic ES 2.2 diesel with 74000 miles on the clock on Monday. I'm returning it to the garage for repair of a rear door not opening from inside or out!

Anyways I have the infamous clutch squeaking noise from the get go but the car seems to have self healed and that's has gone away (maybe because it was sat on the garage for court for a few months????)

I notice a slight delay in acceleration, I panicked thinking this could be the clutch but when I Rev the engine the Revs don't climb with no car movement. My question is: has the civic got a slow throttle response? And what is the response time of the digital speedometer?

Many thanks!
Might sound like a Div saying this but did you check to see if it had been serviced by the dealer? I know when I picked mine up the first thing I checked was to see if it had been serviced.. Fair play to them the Oil had been changed (don't know what grade they used?) but they hadn't done the Oil, Air and Cabin filter as they were really manky.... The Air filter may contribute to a slow response added to the slight Turbo Lag these things have?......
Thanks to nturnb from:
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 5th June 2015, 10:03
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
Good point about filters.

The fuel filter has been known to cause acceleration issues - always use an OEM filter, book service interval = 2 years but many run them until issues occur (if at all).

Sticky EGR valves too, but lets not scare you too much eh!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10th July 2016, 20:31

Coming from a 2003 130TDCi Mondeo Estate, the Civic throttle feeds a tad laggy, especially in lower gears. Pretty sure its down to the Civic limiting the torque to avoid yobbish wheelspin and over-intrusive traction control as despite having the 2.2 CDTi, I have to be pretty rough with the clutch to provoke any noticeable wheelspin.

The Mondeo felt much sharper, but then it only needed a moderate prod on the throttle before all hell breaks loose as it briefly scrabbles for grip and then just attempts to shred the squealing tyres whilst the wife gets angry (it can't have had traction control on that...)

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > 2009 Civic (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page