2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

R.I.P for the I-SHIFT in 2009?????

7K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  jazzman 
#1 ·
I was fortunate enough to see the Brand New Facelift Civic of 2009 whilst visiting my local dealer... after :lurking: around for a while i had a great look at it and was shocked to say the least when i was told that the I-Shift is no more!
Im slightly gutted if not sad about that! :(:(:(

Is this true??? and why? :confused:

and as for Discontinuing NHB and replacing it with Pearl... well... as its for the environment...

I am a fan of the new bumper and the interior! Looks much better...

#10 ·
Not everyone dislikes the i-shift, my example is brilliant, no problems with it at all. It is a case of either you like it or you don't, and there are lots of people out there that like it.

#5 ·
Ok that makes sense, they are changing the 1.8 standard civic versions to Auto and Manual and keeping the S type as an I-Shift... Phew!

In all fair and honesty I was concerned as to why they discontinued using it for the standard Civics as I love the I-Shift... (I really do) lol.

Thanks for the info.

#7 ·
cheers for the info...
I still love my Civic, brought Dec 2006... still not bored.

#9 ·
i-Shift (together with Toyota's version of it) is still a sort of a poor man's DSG. try out the DSG and you know why i-Shift is being replaced with the conventional automatic. it's has nothing on an M/T in terms of controllability on a track and and it's not as comfy as a hydraulic automatic transmission. a niche product, thus the limitation to Type S only.

personally i'm a CVT fan.

#14 ·
1) CVT is an outdated and expensive style of gearbox. Neither as durable or functional in bigger engined cars as either i-shift or std autos.

2) Whilst the DSG box is probably the best auto style box currently out there for the 'c' class car (golf, astra, focus, civic), its also the most expensive to produce and maintain. The i-shift is merely a manual gearbox with additional bits added to it and therefore a lot cheaper to produce and maintain.

#19 ·
All Honda need to do now is get their website up to date.

It's bizarre that in these difficult days that no proper 09MY model by model features list PDF brochure is available.

I'm considering upgrading to full auto but the info is just not available in the format I want it.

#23 ·
What i read about the i-shift is that people who have one,generally find it very good,and those who find the i-shift nothing,probable never driven with a i-shift.
Belgium
Unfortunately not - I hate it. I take some pride in my smooth driving technique and this box throws all that out of the window, especially between 1 and 2 and 2 to 1.

#24 ·
i went from HR-V's CVT to CR-V's conventional automatic, which is a comfort drop. going to i-Shift would be too heavy.

whereas i have not driven the i-Shift itself, the dealer told me it's very much like Toyota's AMT, which i have driven and IMHO it's awful.

to each their own.

#28 ·
Suggest that before you give an opinion you should try it for yourself. having had my one for nearly 2 years and with the latest software I love it both for it`s auto changes when driving normally and it`s manual options when driving in other circumstances. I am a very happy I-Shift bunny. :D:D:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.