Test Driven a 2.2 and.... - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 13th September 2015, 16:00 Thread Starter

Car: 2009 2.2 Type S GT
Test Driven a 2.2 and....

Have a few questions after driving a 2010 Type s GT 2.2.

I have been reading up on the civic derv for the past few weeks making sure that i was going to be making the right choice.

I put down a £200 deposit on a car at evans Hallshaw to "move me closer" moving the car from England to my local dealership for inspection.

After reading all the horror stories about clutches and other general things to look out for i was fairly confident what to expect.

Taken the car for a test drive and was coming off a roundabout was in third gear and floored it and i am sure i heard the revs increase much louder than expected with not much go behind it, quickly looked at the rev counter to make sure it wasn't slipping and the speed had caught up. So put it in 4th and tried again with flooring it but did not seem to replicate the rev increase only heard it once and could not replicate it.

Dont know if i am just nervous and hearing things....wanted to be sure before i signed for it.

The actual drive was different to how i imagined it to be and basing it on the descriptions of how this diesel drives. To me the throttle was extremely sensitive with hardly any lag.... (very smooth actually) from what i had read is that 3rd and 4th were the best gears. But to me 2nd had a fair amount of torque and 3-6th was.....well disappointing really, sure it picked up speed at a good pace but didn't really feel all that torquey compared to an old Octavia TDI i had. Dont get me wrong though lovely car and obviously overall was faster than the octavia.

Although the car did have 3 Adults my self and wife and the salesman,

how would you describe the diesel and how it drives???

Would i be safe signing for the car and if the clutch was slipping would i be within my rights to request them to change it......I would have a better idea when i can fully test it rather than just taking it for a few mile test drive.

Dont really know where to go from here, really want the car (and it averaged 58mpg )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 13th September 2015, 16:09
Bye bye Honda...

Car: Volvo V60 VEA D4 (181)
Thanked 1,265 Times in 1,042 Posts
I wouldn't ever buy a car and then expect the dealer to fix it. They aren't usually nice people and they don't make money by undertaking expensive repairs! You will likely get involved in arguments about 'wear and tear' and may even have trouble replicating the slippage to them.

Get them to fix it first, then buy it. Or buy another one that doesn't have a pre-existing and expensive problem. Used car dealers are immoral, parasitic leeches... always bear this in mind!
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 13th September 2015, 16:30 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks Jon for the reply, Only problem is that i signed the finance side of things today based on the fact that i was happy with the car based on a short test drive i had.

But have not signed anything else and have not picked up the car yet so i can easily pull out of the deal.

Its only reflecting on the clutch and nervousness that's making me have second thoughts.

I mentioned the clutch and he said it seemed fine to them when they tested it..... Would be no problem to cancel the agreement.

This is why i don't know what to do next.

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 13th September 2015, 16:41 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

the reason i was happy is because i done further tests to try and make it slip and couldn't and i just presumed that the clutch is fine, its only after getting home and reading some posts on the forum looking like it could be an intermittent thing and happen only in certain conditions/load etc.
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 13th September 2015, 16:42
Supporter

Car: 2007 57 2.2 ex alabaster
I think sometimes once you're awear of a potential problem your mind can play tricks on you, there are 1000s of cars out there without clutch problems, although mine wasn't one of them, nor was my diesel c4.
Obviously you wouldn't want to have to bung out for a new clutch immedialty, do you only get 3mts from EH. you would like to hope they would contribute if it failed within that time.
There are several updated clutch and flywheel options fitted for about £800.
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 13th September 2015, 16:47
Supporter

Car: 2008 FN2
My clutch slipped once or twice in the first week I had the car, was then fine until I sold it two years later. I just put it down to it being stood for a while with no one driving it
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 13th September 2015, 16:49 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

well that's what i was thinking impo,

Would need to be able to fully test the car in all conditions and not fully diagnose that on just a 5 mile test drive.

I would hope that if i bought a car and the clutch slip was not apparent on the test drive and after a few days its found that there is an issue that that they would replace.... Would i be right in thinking that!!

Its tricky i don't know if i should accept the car and hope the clutch is fine or just cancel the agreement.
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 13th September 2015, 16:51 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks Alex that's reasurring, car had not been driven and had been delivered by transporter on Saturday and i test driven it today.
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 13th September 2015, 17:10

Car: 2011 2.2 Civic EX
I sold my car recently due to the clutch issue as it isn't cheap to fix. Mine would come and go as well. It's a tough choice but if it was me I would leave it just in case as plenty more out there.
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 13th September 2015, 17:22 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

If i cancelled the agreement would that mean they would not give me my deposit back because they are doing the prep work on it?

I think i would need to take it for a test drive again and make sure the cluch is fine before accepting it and if i think it slips again i will reject it until they fix it and if they refuse to fix it they would have no right to hold my deposit and i would think that i would be within my rights to cancel the whole thing.

To make it more complicated they settled an amount for the trade in of my old car, however i have not signed it over to them yet.... would hate to lose that aswell if things didnt turn out
post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old 13th September 2015, 18:48
Bye bye Honda...

It sounds like you've already fallen in love with her, and in your mind she's yours? This is not uncommon, but is a mistake.

The correct way to test the clutch on these diesels is to drive it up a long-ish stretch of climbing road (or hill, if you will) in a high gear around 2000 RPM (peak torque), then floor the accelerator pedal while watching the speedo and rev counter to ensure that the revs don't then rise disproportionately compared to the speed. If the revs do rise uncontrollably, then you should find they drop back to an expected level when you lift the accelerator. Show this to the salesman and get it in writing that the clutch will be REPLACED (NOT merely repaired!!!) as a condition of the sale.

But be aware these people would sell their mothers into slavery rather than honour an expensive warranty claim.
post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old 13th September 2015, 19:15 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_G View Post
It sounds like you've already fallen in love with her, and in your mind she's yours?
Sure Have Shes lovely Super direct feel to the steering no rattles nice and smooth. Unsure about the performance though....don't really know how well they perform and have not driven any other 2.2. just making sure there is no other underlying faults.

How should the acceleration feel, should it feel very punchy in 3rd/4th or more smooth type of acceleration.

TBH not all that bothered with the outright performance, just love the looks and the MPG that's enough for me.

Do you find them to be a little sluggish with 2 adult passengers?

Good advice though, i will take it for another test drive and if it slips again i will say that i am not happy and take it from there....will remember to get it in writing.

Would be a win win situation if the clutch was going and i get a free clutch with the deal....peace of mind and all that
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old 13th September 2015, 19:30
Bye bye Honda...

True, it would be a result. But you are negotiating with devils, so do not let them off the hook (you may have detected a hint that I despise used car dealers?). I have NEVER dealt with used car dealers and never will.

The 2.2 i-CTDi is extremely progressive and enduring in its power delivery, rather than suffering the limited punchiness of, say, the VAG TDi motors. It really is an excellent engine, the clutch/DMF being its big weakness (and, to a lesser extent, the exhaust manifold is known to crack plus the engine chains can stretch and become rattley). It tolerates tuning (via remap) very well and close to 200 BHP is attainable at a very reasonable cost, although an upgraded clutch/SMF conversion will be necessary (many have done this and lots of threads here regarding all this). You will have no problem with transporting a couple of passengers.

Good luck.

Last edited by Jon_G; 13th September 2015 at 19:34.
Thanks to Jon_G from:
post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old 13th September 2015, 20:03
Supporter

Car: 2008 2.2 i-ctdi black
Eco display
i have a 2008 2.2 diesel

nothing but regular servicing has proved very reliable and faultless

even running a small tuning box and no signs of clutch slip for last 2.5 years

very punchy and quick, managed 1715miles on 3 tanks of diesel
post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old 13th September 2015, 20:16 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Brown View Post
i have a 2008 2.2 diesel

nothing but regular servicing has proved very reliable and faultless

even running a small tuning box and no signs of clutch slip for last 2.5 years

very punchy and quick, managed 1715miles on 3 tanks of diesel
Is that a tuning box on the original Clutch....and still going strong?

I thought the original starts to slip after a wee while on a map/tuning box!!
post #16 of 71 (permalink) Old 13th September 2015, 20:19
Supporter

Eco display
yes original clutch

tuning box is set to about medium setting only about 170bhp instead of the 195bhp you get with stage 1 remap
post #17 of 71 (permalink) Old 13th September 2015, 20:26 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the reply Neil, Is it a DTuk one, lost count how many remap threads i have read and it put me off cause of the price of a new clutch, although there seems to be discounts on some of them.

What difference have you seen using the box compared to the standard map.
post #18 of 71 (permalink) Old 13th September 2015, 20:58 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Was beginning to think this car may of been mapped by the previous owner just the drive seems different to how people describe and the accelerator is extremely sensitive with the slightest touch and its moving very briskly, of coarse like i said before in a very smooth way

Also has a type r Gear Knob So it must be fast lol

Suppose that could be the reason why the clutch may be slipping....dont know really until i test it thoroughly, just jumping to conclusions i think

Anyone recognise the numberplate

post #19 of 71 (permalink) Old 13th September 2015, 21:16
Supporter

Eco display
where abouts in ayrshire are you

no its not a dtuk one but something similiar
post #20 of 71 (permalink) Old 13th September 2015, 21:16
Supporter

Car: 2014 Aygo
Can't believe you have gone this far with the purchase when you had a doubt in the first place?

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > 2009 Civic (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page