Going for the...2008 if I can...civic - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10th March 2009, 23:17 Thread Starter

Going for the...2008 if I can...civic

Hello all,

First let me mention the laughs I had with the registration process. I was presented with a princess Diana picture but all I could end up was Lady Di until a got some help from my girlfriend. :P

Second, this is a long chit-chat, so skip if dont feel like reading :P

Ok, since some days now I have decided to buy a civic type-s 1.8 i-shift navi. That is, I decided it without going to dealers or road tests; just from manufacturer information and price. I am usually straight forward with this things.

But someone pointed me to some more info & this forums and learned a few things.

For example, that in Spain now I would have bought the 2008 model, since the 2009 is still not on market. It is delayed at least until may, and all depending on depleting the 2008 stock. But as I didnt expect otherwise, precisely the 2008 model I want is out of stock. Just found it in one place, an offer of 22000€. I might lose it as I type :P

And then I also read some reviews and I became acknowledged of the noise problem and how bad it compares with some other manufacturers similar models. This did downrate my hype for this car. But much worse is the fact that this might be solved in 2009 car, which is going to be released....whenever :P

Currently I own a ford fiesta. I has been my fisrt car. Quite happy with it. It is just that it doesnt have enough switches :P Seriously, each time I have to do some big amount of kms, I go with my parents auto mondeo. Quite boring on the fiesta.

I would never buy a golf, or a seat leon, or a focus, or a megane, even an audi. They dont have a personality I like and they are everywhere. I might do some effort (big) and get a bmw. It is everywhere too but it has its share of personality that I like.

But then theres the civic.

Even after reading the rather negative reviews on this site, i still want the car. But I dont know if I should wait for the 2009.

I dont know how big is the noise&suspension problem. Maybe is a problem for someone accostumed to a mercedes which might "float" on the road. But maybe it is not a problem for me, accostumed to a ford fiesta. Or maybe is not a problem for a 2XK € car. I dont really know to what extension has this been fixed on 2009 and if it is worth the money. I am gonna road test now, but if I was a dealer, I would have that fixed as possible in the trial car. And part of the thing might get on you with kms, and not on a test if you dont know where to look.

Then theres the revised I-Shift. I drive relaxed 95%. The 5% of the time not relaxed its just when I want to build up space. I dont like to be sorrounded by many cars if possible. High pace issues dont bother me as it seems to be a matter of managing the gas pedal. The slow pace issues might bother me more, when you shift from the brakes to the gas. Again, I dont really know if this has been improved much and if it is worth the money. I can road test the 2008 model and I might (almost for sure) like it enough. If semi-auto works good this is less of a problem. I-shift I want and im willing to live with it and tell the tales to my grandsons :P

The exterior of the 2009 is more atractive to the eyes but too agressive for my likings. There are some elements on the 2008 exterior which I dont like but overall is more in the not so sportish line that I like. Not a big issue thou.

And then, theres the iphone with I use to hear all my music. Integration in 2009 model seams great. With the 2008 model, I would have to install an extra cable which supports the iphone, and use iphone interface, as I do now. I was happy with this while I didnt know what was to come in the facelift. Not to biggy either.

I might find a difference of +5000€ between the 2008 offer and the 2009 model. I do have the money but I dont want to feel silly wasting the opportunity of cheap car and the economic context at least call for a little of a saving mood :P

Maybe in a couple of quastions: ¿Is there danger of feeling unhappy with the honda I want? ¿If yes, would the 2009 model solve this?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10th March 2009, 23:20

Wow, a long first post! Welcome to the forum!

The 2009 Civic does have improved suspension and has better ways to connect your MP3 players, also the i-Shift has some improvements too. The front end styling however is another matter, although an alternative grill can be fitted.

If you can afford it, get the latest model, but if you have to settle for the 2008 version don't worry, its still a great car.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10th March 2009, 23:27
Administrator

Thanked 1,835 Times in 1,604 Posts
Hi and welcome to civinfo.

Have you read this review of the 09MY Civic compared to the older model?

Although it is comparing Diesel models there are other comparisons which you will find very interesting.

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/2009-ci...-6-diesel.html

Last edited by Dimplyred; 10th March 2009 at 23:29.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10th March 2009, 23:36
LOUD NOISES!!!

Car: 60 FN2 M200
Hi and welcome, I have an 08 type S, very pleased with it but very wise words from Wheelchair. Good luck
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11th March 2009, 09:34
Supporter

Car: 2008 2.2 i-CTDi ES NHB
Welcome

You also have to remember more people write about problems on here than those who don't have any problems

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > 2009 Civic (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page