NEW Civic look - Naff.... IMO at least.. - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 29th March 2009, 17:42 Thread Starter
Lord of JAE.....

Car: 58' NHB Type R-GT
NEW Civic look - Naff.... IMO at least..

Hi,

I was in the dealers buying brake fluid the other day, and for the first time saw the new civic in the flesh, and I have to say, what a mess it looks..... sorry if this offends anyone, it's only my opinion....

The grill looks, ordinary, dull, and rather awful all over.... I don't know where the "it's not obvious" bit came from, it looks like the cars hit something, a look not aided by the rather bizarre front bumper changes.

The painted trim looks as bad as the unpainted, if not worse, to me, it looked like some one got halfway through primering it to body colour it then sort of got bored, the new joins in the sections don't look too good either.....

The rear valence is a particular bug bear of mine, looking as it does like someone has double sided a bit of a Halfords bodykit onto it, it sticks out from the bodywork and overall just looks crappy.... not a patch on the old honeycomb....

I don't like the new rev counter set-up, and why on earth introduce a 1.4 to the S range in the first place (especially when the 5 door doesn't notice too much really...) and then don't paint the bodykit, unless you buy the bigger engine, and don't do the GT spec, Honda state they want to make it more appealing to youngsters, like a baby R, then thy go and make it blindingly obvious that the person either doesn't want, or couldn't have the bigger engine by making it look obvious to all and sundry, hardly gonna get you 'street cred' is it? Couldn't even give the 1.4 more poke than the Jazz, I mean they could have found a way to give it a bit more than the Jazz surely?

Overall, I think you dropped it with this facelift Honda...... I'd rather have the old style anyday, sadly it now looks like most other cars, and like the "old man style" honda has been famous for.....

Rant Over...... lol.

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 30th March 2009, 00:06
Supporter

Car: 2012 1.8i Ex Navi Leather MR
Oh dear.... Honda, how could you do this to the unique and innovative spaceship you once made...
Was this really necessary!
I'm certainly not looking forward to see it in the flesh, especially not after reading this, a vomit bag might come in handy...
Honda - make sure to manufacture a lot of spare pre-facelift perspex grilles and lower rear trim to keep in stock, I think they will be popular..

And like the OP wrote, this is not meant to offend anyone who bought/buy the facelift Civic, just my personal opinion.

Last edited by amronno; 30th March 2009 at 12:40. Reason: Added some words
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 30th March 2009, 00:32
radix lecti

Car: 2006 2.2 iCDTi Sport
I actually rather like the new front grill on the TypeS, the aluminium fuel filter cover.

That is about it though. Just hoping that when my car goes in, any updates to the Shocks that are available are applied (I think mine are foobared).

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 30th March 2009, 09:42 Thread Starter
Lord of JAE.....
** Thread starter **

Sadly, the fuel filler cap cover looks a bit ripspeed to me, but maybe I'm just biased.....? It is the least bad bit though, not all bad though, I do like the new lights and door handles.......

Tom
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 30th March 2009, 10:41

Car: 56 2.2 5 door, NHB
I Agree

I hate the grill on the standard facelift-civics.

Gone a step backwards IMO
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 30th March 2009, 10:46
COTM Feb 2012

Car: Aston V12 Vantage S
I disagree totally, I like the changes (perhaps apart from the 5 door grille), I also like the addition of the 1.4 to the "S" range in particular... I think Honda have made a step in the right direction.... lol I think im in a minority though
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 30th March 2009, 10:59
Super Moderator

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
I think that adding the 1.4 Type S was a great marketing ploy

There are downsides though, but I'm not sure that Honda could have pleased everyone...

Making the 1.8 / 2.2 S's nearly identical to the R will please most Type S owners, but equally will hack off some R owners. (see various threads about putting R grills on S Civics )

Making the 1.4 S nearly identical to the R too will no doubt really please the market segment that Honda are aiming it at - but it would really really hack off R owners, and possibly 1.8 / 2.2 S owners too.

So by giving the 1.4 S the same basic look as the R, but still making it different enough, I think Honda have tried to hit the middle ground
Have they managed? Who knows!

Please note that I'm obviously making sweeping generalisations about the feelings of all S and R owners, and most definately not looking to single out particular owners
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 30th March 2009, 11:03
COTM Feb 2012

Car: Aston V12 Vantage S
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTDegs View Post
I think that adding the 1.4 Type S was a great marketing ploy

There are downsides though, but I'm not sure that Honda could have pleased everyone...

Making the 1.8 / 2.2 S's nearly identical to the R will please most Type S owners, but equally will hack off some R owners. (see various threads about putting R grills on S Civics )

Making the 1.4 S nearly identical to the R too will no doubt really please the market segment that Honda are aiming it at - but it would really really hack off R owners, and possibly 1.8 / 2.2 S owners too.

So by giving the 1.4 S the same basic look as the R, but still making it different enough, I think Honda have tried to hit the middle ground
Have they managed? Who knows!

Please note that I'm obviously making sweeping generalisations about the feelings of all S and R owners, and most definately not looking to single out particular owners
R owners should be happy enough with the "badge" and "K20" to be hacked off... Although I do agree with you, some are never happy... lol
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 31st March 2009, 00:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by amronno View Post
Honda - make sure to manufacture a lot of spare pre-facelift perspex grilles and lower rear trim to keep in stock, I think they will be popular..
Can anyone furnish me with before and after pics of the changes to the rear? Or is that just on the 5 door (if so not bothered).

I wasn't aware of changes to the petrol cap and door handles, thought these were on the championship white type r? Have I missed something?
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 31st March 2009, 06:46
Administrator

Car: 2016 Ford Kuga Titanium
Thanked 1,059 Times in 761 Posts
Having seen one 'in the flesh' I was pleasantly surprised how nice it did look, actually. I actually like the front grill
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 31st March 2009, 06:55
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
I agree with Tom

I don't particlarly like the new grille and I don't like the new smooth painted grey plastics, or should I say I prefer the original style more.

I do however prefer the new dash facia plastic, the centre console features, and the auto gearbox has to be a big plus.

Just the suspension stopping me upgrading.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 31st March 2009, 08:16 Thread Starter
Lord of JAE.....
** Thread starter **

It's just it being a civic that looks like that stopping me upgrading...... Have to say, I'm tempted to go for a Land Rover/Range Rover next, I've seen some nice deals on the 2.7 Disco.......(and I can insure a RR V8 for almost the same rice my 1.8 is costing me hooray.....) I just couldn't bring myself to get another Civic... not unless it's built elsewhere and properly.

Tom

Last edited by Unknownsoldier; 31st March 2009 at 09:03.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 31st March 2009, 08:47

Car: 13 1.6 iDTEC Milano Red
IMHO the nostril doesn't look that bad, but it's by far not as nice as the perspex nose or the new S-grille.

Putting the 1.4 engine in the S is a good thing! First of all it makes the S (which is pretty expensive) affordable to much more people. And because it's a very clean engine it's a good thing for lease drivers in some countries (one of the reasons I choose the 1.4). Thinking at the environment the 1.4 isn't such a bad thing too. Of course I'd liked it to have more power (with a small turbo, like VW's 1.4 TSI).

Still the Civic is one of the most beautiful compact cars looking a whole lot different then the boring competition.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 31st March 2009, 08:53
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephentw View Post
Can anyone furnish me with before and after pics of the changes to the rear? Or is that just on the 5 door (if so not bothered).

I wasn't aware of changes to the petrol cap and door handles, thought these were on the championship white type r? Have I missed something?
Check out Pottsy's 2006 vs 2009 (vs Golf) thread at the top of this section for the comparison pics
The petrol cap is a slightly new design (with "Civic" written across it), and looks good
Not sure on the handles though
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 31st March 2009, 08:54 Thread Starter
Lord of JAE.....
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santtu Pikkarainen View Post
IMHO the nostril doesn't look that bad, but it's by far not as nice as the perspex nose or the new S-grille.

Putting the 1.4 engine in the S is a good thing! First of all it makes the S (which is pretty expensive) affordable to much more people. And because it's a very clean engine it's a good thing for lease drivers in some countries (one of the reasons I choose the 1.4). Thinking at the environment the 1.4 isn't such a bad thing too. Of course I'd liked it to have more power (with a small turbo, like VW's 1.4 TSI).

Still the Civic is one of the most beautiful compact cars looking a whole lot different then the boring competition.
I agree if you care about the enviroment, get the 1.4 (I personally don't.... so I wa8)s never bothered, but you already have the 1.4 in the 5dr, and you pressurize people when flogging the 1.4, by not colour coding, not doing the GT, it does therefore limit the market you've opened yourself up for...... also putting a Turbo on it, your having a giraffe mate, that'd make it totally uninsurable to the group your trying to sell it to.....

Tom
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 31st March 2009, 08:59
Super Moderator

Clever marketing Tom

Youngsters () with TypeR pics on bedroom walls.
Wander into Honda showroom to drool over R
See a 1.4 that looks 90% like an R - sold!

They then spend more money (possibly with Honda bodyshops) going for full colour coding

And at the same time, Honda haven't allienated the R owners (too much), by not producing a 1.4 that looks identical to an R
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 31st March 2009, 09:03 Thread Starter
Lord of JAE.....
** Thread starter **

I suppose, but I don't see that, because they are trying to make it appeal to youngsters, so they then go and make it different (especially if the buy the Auto ).

Still no more worries, it'll show soon, as I think Honda may start to drown, it appears as if no one want the Auto, and Honda won't release the manual for ages.......

Tom
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 31st March 2009, 09:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post
I agree if you care about the enviroment, get the 1.4 (I personally don't.... so I wa8)s never bothered, but you already have the 1.4 in the 5dr, and you pressurize people when flogging the 1.4, by not colour coding, not doing the GT, it does therefore limit the market you've opened yourself up for...... also putting a Turbo on it, your having a giraffe mate, that'd make it totally uninsurable to the group your trying to sell it to.....

Tom
In the past I didn't really care that much about environment when buying a car as well. Just give me the top version with top-engine.... But when looking for the new car, somehow I've became "greener" and have been looking for cleaner engines as well.
When I would be younger, without kids the 1.4S would for sure be very interesting: it's more affordable then the 1.8 and it looks like "the real one". So instead of saving for a 1.8 or unreachable R, I could buy the great looking 3-door. Okay, the 5dr is available as 1.4, but being young I would like the sportier 3dr.
What you say about the Turbo would mean the Golf 1.4TSI is unasurable as well? Afaik this is a typical UK-problem and not a problem in Holland, but maybe I'm wrong.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 31st March 2009, 09:59 Thread Starter
Lord of JAE.....
** Thread starter **

Yeah, as soon as you mention any of the following: Turbocharged, Supercharged, Modified, Sport, it becomes almost un-insurable under 25....... for a guy at least, girls are a little easier to insure... The golf is hefty on insurance for youngsters.

I know what your saying about it, but even so, for Honda not to give the painted bodykit on the 1.4 just smacks of lets make sure everyone knows they've got the lowest model, and everyone with the old model, will look like they've got a smaller engine... which in a way I'm rather 'happy' about, let people think I've got the .4, I'll sure have some fun with Corsa's, Punto's now....

Tom
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 31st March 2009, 10:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post
... which in a way I'm rather 'happy' about, let people think I've got the .4, I'll sure have some fun with Corsa's, Punto's now....

Tom
Thanks to Santtu Pikkarainen from:

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > 2009 Civic (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page