2009 Civic Owners Manual - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 27th October 2009, 13:27 Thread Starter

Car: 2009 1.8ES, Polished Metal
2009 Civic Owners Manual

Hi

I'm new to these boards so please bare with me.

Anyway, I'm the proud owner of a new 2009 Civic 1.8ES, 5 Door, Manual, Petrol in Polished Metal, taking delivery of it last Saturday. Having wanted a new shape Civic since their introduction in 2006, I still can't quite believe that I've actually got one...... wow, what a car, and yes, I love the new grill!

I do however have a couple of questions, firstly the owners manual that came with the car states on the back 2007 and I’m wondering whether this is the correct edition, i.e. is there a 2009 edition? The reason I'm wondering this is that there is no mention in it about being able to plug in a USB flash drive for the audio system. In the Civic brochure it's at pains to mention "Always use the recommended USB flash memory device. Some USB flash memory devices may not work in this audio unit" and yet nowhere in the documentation that I have does it state what the recommended USB flash memory devices are!
Also, the owner’s manual that I have has no mention of the Deflation Warning System (DWS) which again is mentioned in the brochure.

The second query I have regards the rear light cluster. After it's rained, which it's done quite a bit of since Saturday, the top 10mm or so of the light cluster has moisture inside it. This moisture runs pretty much all the way across the whole light cluster, and hence the car, and look quite unsightly. I've attached a picture which hopefully shows it, you can see a series of bubbles just above the red glass. My question then is, is this normal or should I get it checked out?

Many thanks in advance.
Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Moisture in Rear Lights.jpg (101.9 KB, 892 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 27th October 2009, 13:47

my 2009 owners manual does mention the tyre deflation system... and usb port.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 27th October 2009, 13:52
Arfurs right hand man

Car: 1.8 Civic SE plus Auto 9th G
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleventh Earl View Post
Hi

I'm new to these boards so please bare with me.

Anyway, I'm the proud owner of a new 2009 Civic 1.8ES, 5 Door, Manual, Petrol in Polished Metal, taking delivery of it last Saturday. Having wanted a new shape Civic since their introduction in 2006, I still can't quite believe that I've actually got one...... wow, what a car, and yes, I love the new grill!

I do however have a couple of questions, firstly the owners manual that came with the car states on the back 2007 and I’m wondering whether this is the correct edition, i.e. is there a 2009 edition? The reason I'm wondering this is that there is no mention in it about being able to plug in a USB flash drive for the audio system. In the Civic brochure it's at pains to mention "Always use the recommended USB flash memory device. Some USB flash memory devices may not work in this audio unit" and yet nowhere in the documentation that I have does it state what the recommended USB flash memory devices are!
Also, the owner’s manual that I have has no mention of the Deflation Warning System (DWS) which again is mentioned in the brochure.

The second query I have regards the rear light cluster. After it's rained, which it's done quite a bit of since Saturday, the top 10mm or so of the light cluster has moisture inside it. This moisture runs pretty much all the way across the whole light cluster, and hence the car, and look quite unsightly. I've attached a picture which hopefully shows it, you can see a series of bubbles just above the red glass. My question then is, is this normal or should I get it checked out?

Many thanks in advance.
Cheers
I've ahd a few queries re the manual and a couple of svc customers have come in with the older books. i'd assumed they hadnt been reprinted but if someone says there is a book that mentions the DWS & usb adapter then there must be a new edition out. I'd suggest you contact your dealership about that one.

At the same time, the lights look normal, the water is collecting on the outer edge of the rubber lamp unit seal and therefore not getting into the lamp unit. If you are unsure, again, i'd drop into your delaership and get a technician to take a look.

Dan

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 27th October 2009, 13:54
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
And mine - back to the dealers and get it swapped.

Moisture is normal. You'll also notice it during washing when the soap bubbles get in there as well. It does dry out though if the car is ventilated (not stuck in a garage for days on end)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 27th October 2009, 14:59 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks everyone, most helpful. I'll go back to the dealer and have a chat about the manual. And thanks for putting my mind at rest about the back lights and moisture.

One more quick question if I may, what determines the order in which ".wma" tracks are played within a folder on a USB stick? I'm beginning to think it's the order in which they're copied to the stick, it certainly isn't numerical or alphabetical order. If I do a group copy from my PC, Windows doesn't necessarily copy them in numerical or alphabetical order, and then this seems to be the order in which they're played. Is that right? If so it means copying each track individually!
Cheers
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 27th October 2009, 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleventh Earl View Post
Thanks everyone, most helpful. I'll go back to the dealer and have a chat about the manual. And thanks for putting my mind at rest about the back lights and moisture.

One more quick question if I may, what determines the order in which ".wma" tracks are played within a folder on a USB stick? I'm beginning to think it's the order in which they're copied to the stick, it certainly isn't numerical or alphabetical order. If I do a group copy from my PC, Windows doesn't necessarily copy them in numerical or alphabetical order, and then this seems to be the order in which they're played. Is that right? If so it means copying each track individually!
Cheers
Folder creation date I think. Really annoying alphabetical on the folder name would have been the obvious choice.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 27th October 2009, 20:04

Car: 2016 1.8 i-vtec EX+ AUTO
Cool

I had the same problem with the Manual. went back to the dealer and it was changed - no problem.
Loving my new car, the Automatic transmission is superb.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 28th October 2009, 08:03
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
The latest manual does explain how to use the Deflation Warning System.

Basically, once you have the tyres at your required pressure (depending on loading) you should then 'Initialise' the system via an option in the central trip computer.

Without the manual I can see all manner of dealer visits with an unexpected warning light !
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 28th October 2009, 18:38 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for all the info, it's much appreciated.
I'm going back to the dealer tomorrow so I'll let you know....
Cheers
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 29th October 2009, 23:34 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Well I didn’t get on very well I’m afraid. Unfortunately the salesman with whom I’ve had all my dealings was on his day off so I was dealt with by another salesman. He informed me that the 2007 manual was the only manual available for the Civic and that there couldn’t possibly be any others, “you see the manuals are sent out with the cars so there’s no way that manual can be wrong” he informed me. When I mentioned the lack of information about the DWS he shrugged his shoulders and said “well if it goes wrong or the warning light comes on, just bring the car back to this dealership”. After I queried him again he finished the conversation with “that’s the most up to date manual, if you’ve still got a problem, take it up with Honda”. To say I was unimpressed is a bit of an understatement!

When I got home I spoke to a lovely lady at Honda who after taking my car registration number informed me that there is indeed a much more up to date manual and that I should go back to the dealer and request them to order it through their spares department.
Now why couldn’t the salesman at the dealership have rung Honda to find that out instead of being so dogmatic that he was right and the customer was wrong!

Anyway, back to the dealer I go……….
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 30th October 2009, 08:18
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
Of course there is a more up to date manual and I've got one.

What dealer was that - name and shame?

If you still have hassle I'll post a scan of mine for you to take in as proof. (DWS page, USB page and any 2008/9 date stamps on any cover pages)

I cannot believe some dealers.

Did they have any other new cars around for you to check and make him look the numpty he is? Even a showroom car might still have the book in the glovebox.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 30th October 2009, 15:44

Thats salesmen for you, once they have sold the car they no longer want any interest in customers....
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 31st October 2009, 08:17
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
As promised a quick scan of the latest manual version number.

Also included the DWS page within:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MY09 Manual.jpg (31.1 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg DWS.jpg (78.5 KB, 214 views)
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 1st November 2009, 10:22 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
As promised a quick scan of the latest manual version number.

Also included the DWS page within:
That's brilliant Kremmen, thank you. I'll take a print of those when I go in tomorrow.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 1st November 2009, 10:31 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Of course there is a more up to date manual and I've got one.
I did try to tell him that but he was having none of it.

Quote:
What dealer was that - name and shame?
I'm not going to do that just yet as up until that point the dealer has actually been very, very good. I've never seen that particular salesman before, so I'll see if the normal staff can redeem themselves tomorrow. Mind you, I'll certainly be letting them know my feelings on the matter.

Quote:
Did they have any other new cars around for you to check and make him look the numpty he is? Even a showroom car might still have the book in the glovebox.
That didn't even cross my mind unfortunately, I was just so taken aback by his attitude.
Anyway, I'll see how we go on tomorrow, again....
Thanks once again,
Cheers
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2009, 19:34 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Now that’s more like it! The salesman who’s been dealing with me was in today and straight away I got an apology followed by “I’ll go and have a look at what’s in my car”. He then came back in from his '59' Civic with a 2009 manual, swopped it for my 2007 one and again offered his apologies.
Splendid.
Thanks once again for everyone’s help.
Cheers
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 3rd November 2009, 06:52
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
Glad to have helped

Don't forget the 'Thanks' button
Thanks to Kremmen from:

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > 2009 Civic (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page