First impressions 1.8 type S v Mini Cooper - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 9th March 2012, 17:48 Thread Starter
Reasonable Tenor voice

Car: 2009 type s 1800 i-vtec
First impressions 1.8 type S v Mini Cooper

2 days ago I left my company scheme and handed back my Mini Cooper for my own 1.8 type S. It has been an interesting couple of days comparing the 2 cars. So my impressions are based on the Mini which I had for 4 years.

The first thing I noticed is that my right elbow does not bang into the door! The build quality is much improved. The Mini felt cheaper, the overhead light fitting actually fell off suddenly as I was driving. The Honda just feels more solid. The first time I took a corner at speed I knew the Civic was much better. It really held the line all of the way around. The mini by comparison would bounce about quite a bit. The gear change is also much smoother. The Mini would sometimes against fight me, when I selected a gear. The braking is less sharp though, but this might just be me getting used to a heavier car. Also it is not quite as "nippy" as the Mini, (same condition applies though). It does not pull as hard is the Mini, but that might be me trying not the thrash it. I'm 55 years old as I tend to drive more sedately than when I was 25 (mind you I was astride a Honda VFR 750 then, and so had to keep the bike in the red zone!)

It has better sound insulation. This was tested on a rather noisy road surface near where I live. In the Mini I would actually have to turn up the radio on this stretch. Not so in the type S. In fact the basic audio system sounds better overall.

Overall I'm very pleased with the type S. I hope it keeps going for a long time. Today I popped into Halfords and at the door a man in RAC uniform stopped me and said "what are you doing going in there? Honda's never break down". He should know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 9th March 2012, 18:41
Supporter

Car: Mazda MX-5 (lightly modded)
Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,415 Posts
He was referring to the last models
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 9th March 2012, 22:15 Thread Starter
Reasonable Tenor voice
** Thread starter **

Oh dear........

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 9th March 2012, 22:20
Supporter

Car: 09 Suzuki Swift Sport white
Thanked 2,783 Times in 2,531 Posts
lol the engine needs to be mullered to get the best out of it and the civic brakes are weaker there is no denying it!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 13th March 2012, 20:06 Thread Starter
Reasonable Tenor voice
** Thread starter **

VTEC Burn up..

Ah, now I get it! I hit 6000 RPM and the thing just zooms. Very nice indeed. So that is what a VTEC engine can do . The mini came no where near such a feeling of power, in fact it tended to drop off. The VTEC just keeps going, I'm deeply impressed. What now? Should I cruise up and down the dual carriage way (no motorways in Cornwall) look for a Cooper S who want's a burn up? Would that would be little childish? Of course it would.

I have noticed a few Type R's in the last few days driving very close apparently waiting for me to make a move.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 14th March 2012, 17:04
AWESOME-O 4000

Car: 2008, 1.8, Type S GT, NHB
I do that to most other cars Shinybadrobot haha.. Last car I did it to was a Renault sport 2ltr.. was funny.
It may just be me but I find civic owners park next to each other? Everyday I've parked by myself and I'll come back to see a civic in the spot next to me!
Get yourself a civic infosticker!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 14th March 2012, 21:30 Thread Starter
Reasonable Tenor voice
** Thread starter **

Gone and done it Goat Master
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 14th March 2012, 22:15

Car: '07 1.8 MR Type-S 104000 km
Eco display Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybadrobot View Post
Ah, now I get it! I hit 6000 RPM and the thing just zooms. Very nice indeed. So that is what a VTEC engine can do . The mini came no where near such a feeling of power, in fact it tended to drop off. The VTEC just keeps going, I'm deeply impressed. What now? .
VTEC - Civinfo Wiki

sorry
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 14th March 2012, 22:16
Supporter

Car: FK2 Type R GT CW
Quote:
Ah, now I get it! I hit 6000 RPM and the thing just zooms. Very nice indeed. So that is what a VTEC engine can do . The mini came no where near such a feeling of power, in fact it tended to drop off. The VTEC just keeps going, I'm deeply impressed. What now? Should I cruise up and down the dual carriage way (no motorways in Cornwall) look for a Cooper S who want's a burn up? Would that would be little childish? Of course it would.

I have noticed a few Type R's in the last few days driving very close apparently waiting for me to make a move.

Ohh lets not open the Vtec debate again. Its not what you think....
Suprised you said about better handling. My mums mini cooper went round bendy bits on rails. Then it was the works version.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 14th March 2012, 22:18

Car: '07 1.8 MR Type-S 104000 km
Eco display Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan2636 View Post
Ohh lets not open the Vtec debate again. Its not what you think....
Suprised you said about better handling. My mums mini cooper went round bendy bits on rails. Then it was the works version.
i've had a similar experience as the op with a mini cooper, it was all over the place but it doesnt mean the mini was to blame. Could be down to the tires, driver, service history, etc
The civic does give a planted feeling but i think its more to do with the rear torsion bar in stead of IRS
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 14th March 2012, 22:40
LOUD NOISES!!!

Car: 60 FN2 M200
nice to hear a positive comparison.

welcome to civinfo
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 16th March 2012, 09:27
Bantersaurus Rex

Car: '56 2.2 Sport Vivid
welcome to civinfo. i'd take the civic over the cooper any day of the week!
plus my standard 2.2 seems to eat my mates cooper alive, so sure the 1.8 would do the same
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 16th March 2012, 09:55
Supporter

Car: GT
You won't go wrong with a civic!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 17th March 2012, 13:02 Thread Starter
Reasonable Tenor voice
** Thread starter **

He Mini sometimes appeared to jump around a bit on hard cornering, and did at time lose contact and skid. This was the first difference I became a aware of, same corner at about 50 MPH the Mini would slip and begin to complain, the Civic however was on rails; smooth and tight, right on the line.

The roads in West Cornwall are often single track, potholed or at least with loose surfaces. Also being a company car the tyres were the cheapest Q fit had. So may be not a fair comparison
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 17th March 2012, 13:03 Thread Starter
Reasonable Tenor voice
** Thread starter **

The Mini sometimes appeared to jump around a bit on hard cornering, and did at time lose contact and skid. This was the first difference I became a aware of, same corner at about 50 MPH the Mini would slip and begin to complain, the Civic however was on rails; smooth and tight, right on the line.

The roads in West Cornwall are often single track, potholed or at least with loose surfaces. Also being a company car the tyres were the cheapest Q fit had. So may be not a fair comparison
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 21st March 2012, 10:56
Supporter

Car: 2008 1.8 GT Type S
If you are really putting your foot down then need to wind the engine right up to the red line at 6800rpm, don't stop at 6,000. It really will pull all the way to the line and then when you change down a gear, you'll find you're still in the VTEC zone. Where it differs to the mini is the mini will have a lot more pull low down.

Also, match for match I'd have though the Cooper version was closer to the Type R than the Type S although the Type S is no slouch.

Edit: I checked. The standard Cooper is slightly slower than the Civic, the Works version is in Type R territory.

Last edited by RA108; 21st March 2012 at 14:55.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2012, 18:56
more torque than the mrs

Car: 2008 2.2 type s gt blusilver
Thanked 1,798 Times in 1,568 Posts
Garage
Quote:

no vtec zone on the 1.8 you get to 6000 rpm and it screams only, the 1.8 engine is an eco engine made for moderate performance and fuel economy ,get to 6000 rpm in the type R then yes it zooms.yes vtec
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2012, 20:09
Supporter

Car: Ford Focus Titanium 100
If you get a chance try the 2.2 cdti, in standard tune it's slightly faster the 1.8 vtec, remapped it's considerable faster

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > 2009 Civic (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page