2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

recieved from Honda Today! Worth noting (ipod)

AUX in 
6K views 52 replies 26 participants last post by  karlak 
#1 ·
recieved from Honda Today! Worth noting

Hello Paul,
The price increases made do not have any relevance to any upgrade to specifications to the Civic range.
In terms of the stereo's used, we use Panasonic head unit's in the cars.
Can I just make you aware that an iPod link will eventually be fitted to all our cars as standard, but will not be in place until the beginning of March 2007.
If you have any further questions or feedback please complete our feedback form @ www.honda.co.uk or call our Honda Contact Centre on 0845 200 8000.
Kind regards
Mark
Honda Contact Centre

See less See more
#22 ·
"iPod Link" is a bit vague though - does that mean aux input or full integration?

Mike
Almost 100% sure this means aux input located in the glovebox!! :(

The technology to integrate full ipod integration with the OEM headunits is only just being developed. There are in fact very few (if any) OEM systems out there that will offer full control over your ipod (i.e. playlists, albums etc.). The problem is that the software of the HU will have to be fully updated. This will mean that Retro fitting may not be an easy option and in fact might not even be possible!! :(

Good news is that most manufacturers are addressing the problem and we will probably see cars offering full ipod integration in the future! But for the mean time, we'll have to deal with just aux inputs which are easily retro fitted. :D

When Honda release theirs, I would suggest just buying the parts and either fit it yourself or pay someone else to do it. Honda will charge a fortune!! :mad:

If you want to see what the future could be like for ipod integration then read this article. I know its about Audi again but for obvious reasons I know more about their systems! The point is, this could be the kind of system adopted by all other car manufacturers. ;)

#7 ·
Just a general thought - not having a dig at Honda or other manufacturers.

I wonder if these kits will become obsolete as flash memory gets cheaper? After all a simple USB or memory card slot would be easier to integrate, the manufacturer wouldn't have to worry about a specific MP3 player.

I have just received a Sandisk 1.0gb drive £15.00 delivered - that would be good for over 300 songs.

Mike

#11 ·
I wonder if these kits will become obsolete as flash memory gets cheaper? After all a simple USB or memory card slot would be easier to integrate, the manufacturer wouldn't have to worry about a specific MP3 player.

I have just received a Sandisk 1.0gb drive £15.00 delivered - that would be good for over 300 songs.

Mike

Mike - Good point. I use Xd memory cards in my Olympus Camera and although a little dearer than SD cards they are specified as being capable of upto 8Gb (as I'm sure a lot of formats are). This is more than my 6Gb iPod and far easier to carry around/conceal/lose!

If a USB interface is used a simple multi-card reader would enable a vast choice of card formats and allow me to use all those redundant (16~32Mb) :rolleyes:.

I have also contemplated building a hard drive based unit but then thought an old laptop would be a lot easier. Any body out there have a hard drive based removeable unit, the sort you synch with your PC? (Linux an option ;) ) Looking for a recommendation or a viable plan :confused:

Cheers

#13 ·
Speaking of iPods and sorry for keeping it to myself but over the weekend Amazon.co.uk made a lovely pricing mistake by selling the new 8gb Nano's for 113.99 delivered!!! They are back to their normal apple-fixed price now hehe - so far everyone I know who ordered have not had anything to say they won't honour the price - I didn't really need one but how can you say NO to the new 8gb model at that price ;)

#14 ·
Not as good as Carphone Warehouse last Wednesday who were selling 8gb Nanos for £0.00, although they soon put up Out of Stock on all the Nanos.

#16 ·
Hello Paul,
The price increases made do not have any relevance to any upgrade to specifications to the Civic range.
In terms of the stereo's used, we use Panasonic head unit's in the cars.
Can I just make you aware that an iPod link will eventually be fitted to all our cars as standard, but will not be in place until the beginning of March 2007.
If you have any further questions or feedback please complete our feedback form @ www.honda.co.uk or call our Honda Contact Centre on 0845 200 8000.
Kind regards
Mark
Honda Contact Centre
Hi,

I ould have a question:
2007 begining of March means production date or this is the earliest date when the dealers can get a car equipped with this? (so production date is then mid of february or so)

For me is pretty important so please let me know!

Thanks!

#17 ·
IPOD Updates

All,
I have been in contact with the factory on this and the IPOD link is underway however not guarenteed. It will be out on all 07 plate cars apparently. I have also spoken to them about in car DVD / TV and so forth and they reckon to have tested this and it not being possible due to the Alpine screen's they use. If this is the case how can ppl adjust the files on SAT Nav CD and get good resolution on their pics.... I just dont think they seem bothered.

The stereo in the car is made by Panasonic, and i have also spoken to them, who referred me back to Honda!! After this i called up ICD-ltd.co.uk and at the moment, they cant supply an IPOD link either..... I might just buy the Jazz's IPOD lead and make one my self and then sell them to you lot at trade prices....

As for the folding mirrors, a plan is underway and when i get my car on Thursday it will be stripped Saturday and Sunday to get this working on lock and unlock of the car via key.... Again pics and parts will be avaialble via myself at trade prices.

I have one last contact to call regarding the DVD / TV and will get an update on the IPOD asap so we can start to listen to our tunes whilst we drive and not just cr!p CD's

#19 ·
All,
I have been in contact with the factory on this and the IPOD link is underway however not guarenteed. It will be out on all 07 plate cars apparently. I have also spoken to them about in car DVD / TV and so forth and they reckon to have tested this and it not being possible due to the Alpine screen's they use. If this is the case how can ppl adjust the files on SAT Nav CD and get good resolution on their pics.... I just dont think they seem bothered.
Sounds great. I will get a 2007 model in January. Can you confirm the Ipod link will be on all 2007 models?

Is it only for Ipod or does it have aux-in too? (Don't have an Ipod)

#18 ·
Sweet news hope honda have it sorted for us to reto fit it too , wow poejay your brave riping the door mirrors to piecec on a less then week old car .

#23 ·
i got the new Honda Type S brochure today and it shows a photo of the ipod link. Its a lead which comes out of the cubby hole above the gearstick.

It looks from the photo as if its gonna be ipod only which will annoy some people. They even call it the ipod link.

#26 ·
I suppose the good news is that this does suggest steering wheel track control and ipod charging:cool:. Lets hope for the best! (in hushed tones...)...maybe we will get track names on the display as well. I would be happy with just track skip and charging mind:p .

Cheers

Elis

#27 ·
I would think almost a certainty now but dont wanna get my hopes up to soon. But there is no reason at all why it shouldnt.

What i like is the idea of having the ipod tucked away in the cubby hole out of site. But still being able to control it.

#28 · (Edited)
It is really ridiculous to make it fit only one kind of MP3 player. There are loads of alternatives to i-Pods, I have a Sony HD walkman, I know people who have their music on jukeboxes like Archos. It just doesn't make sense, 3.5mm aux input will work for any device that has a headphone socket!

#29 ·
They should bring out a choice of leads so you could have either just a 3.5 jack lead coming out but you wouldnt have steering wheel controls etc or the ipod connection which they are bringing which were assuming will allow total control via wheel controls/screen etc.

I know ipod has the biggest share but theres still loads of others out there with different makes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.