2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

New HR-V

21K views 102 replies 27 participants last post by  Quacker 
#1 ·
I'm quite interested in the new HR-V due this year.

I really like the look of it....boot size is not far of the Civic Hatch.

They are claiming the 1.6 120PS i-dtec unit when in the HR-V can manage 71mpg...and strangely....0-60 in 10.1s....that's 0.1s less than the Civic Hatch official....which seems wrong?

New Honda HR-V | Honda UK

What does everyone else think?

As with the Civic Tourer, be outstanding if the CR-V's 1.6 160PS i-dtec unit was an option in the HR-V but I don't think it will be.

#5 · (Edited)
I have to wonder if Honda are off the money with this one again given the UK engine choice (2 relatively low powered units). I believe they said one of their targets was the Nissan Juke, but Nissan have just launched the Juke Nismo:

First drive: Nissan Juke Nismo RS - BBC Top Gear

215bhp from a 1.6 litre engine.

0-60 in 7 seconds dead and 137mph top speed + a 4 wheel drive version of the same (albeit the latter is spoilt by CVT).

CO2 is still an acceptable 165g (although personally would like it a bit lower for a bit less power) and economy claimed at 39.2mpg (bit low assuming it's combined).

I still question why Honda can't give us a 4WD HRV with a ballpark 180 bhp manual engine to give a vehicle with a balance between economy, emmissions and high performance. I'm sure that isn't out of reach of the new earth dreams 1.5 engine or the 1.6 litre diesel.

To my eyes the HRV looks nice but the performance (10 secs with the 127bhp engine according to Top Speed) is too sterile for anything other than a retirement car and the lack of 4WD is a deal breaker. Why produce a dynamic vehicle aimed at a sector that by and large favours a younger to middle aged buyer, and then only deliver what appears from the BHP figures to be out and out economy versions?

I reckon a HRV with a 0-60 of around 7.5 to 8 secs, 30+ mpg urban and emissions of around 140g would be a real winner with a manual box and a capable 4WD system if Honda kept the price reasonable. I don't think that should be out of reach given current technology, the HRV's size and the light kerb weight of Honda's generally.

#10 ·
There is a non-Nismo Juke with the 1.6 DIG-T which is 187bhp and offers 0-60 in 7.6 seconds and 240nM peak torque but increases fuel economy to 47 combined and emissions at 139g/km (same as the 8th Gen 2.2 Diesel Civic :))

Still waiting for full figures on the HR-V, i'm thinking 0-60 in the i-Dtec will be increased to around 11 seconds due to the extra weight....which doesn't make it a very exciting prospect for anyone who wants more power than the 1.6 i-Dtec Civic offers (including myself).

#7 ·
I would have to add to what I posted above that the CO2 emissions no longer matter now the new Road Tax structure as been announced.

Although I'm sure no-one wants to pollute the planet and so keeping them as low as possible is good, there's really no excuse for not producing a more powerful HRV now.

#9 ·
Plenty of people who don't live in inner city Southern Cities have a need for 4WD in winter. Around me, they're very popular for that reason. 1st snow and only 4wd can get out and most of them are soft roaders with only the odd person buying a hardcore 4x4. Around me Rav's are very popular with several 1/2 dozen, then there's a Suzuki 4x4, a BMW X5 and a few Discovery's (although they're a bit more hardcore) and one or two, Tiguans.

I've had 2 Rav4's prior to buying the Civic and changing to the Civic was the worst decision I ever made. Not because I don't like the Civic, but simply because I changed because the bad winters seemed to have finished, then they returned, and now every time it snows, I'm stuck at home. No work, no food shopping, no nothing. So to many people who are suburban up North, 4WD in a soft roader is absolutely a requirement. A 2WD is of no use to me or anyone around me on the outskirts of my city, and that's why you'll only find 4WD versions where I live.

Also, on the performance front, many people like a faster 4wd. That doesn't mean they drive it like a hot hatch, but many like a car with the power to accelerate them out of trouble when needed. You only have to look at sales of the Tiguan and Audi Q3 184 bhp versions and Toyotas 170bhp RAV to see there's plenty of demand for powerful versions of 4x4's.

Practically all the expensive off roaders are high performance eg Range Rover, Porsche Cayenne etc, but we're talking a bit out of sector here with these latter models. However, it proves there's an appetite for performance amongst 4x4 drivers.

To me, on the soft road front, Honda is looking pretty much alone with 2wd lower powered options onl.

I was waiting on the HRV which I could have been tempted by, but it's a definite no from me with the new version. I can't live without 4WD and I don't want a slow vehicle. I predict my next car will probably be a 184 Tiguan, Audi or 170 Rav4, unless we have serious sustained winter global warming in which case, a Civic might just slip in there. However, the latter is unlikely.

#13 · (Edited)
I've looked into the HR-V a bit more....this is interesting the S/SE/EX 0-62 times are 10.0, 10.2 and 10.5 respectively.

Last time I looked (may have been changed) the Civic was shown as 0-62 as 10.2 across all specs.

The same as the Civic the emissions and lowest and mpg highest for the S with the the next specs equipped with 17" wheels being slightly worse.

Obviously heavier cars are going to be slower in their 0-62, but what I am puzzled by is the claim that the HR-V with it's 100kg extra weight over the Civic is apparently no slower to accelerate to 62mph?

Based on the figures and the equipment, I am really temped by the HR-V....it's not as fast as i'd like but if it's do-able when I get the lease list at the end of the year I might go for it....

#14 ·
I've looked into the HR-V a bit more....this is interesting the S/SE/EX 0-62 times are 10.0, 10.2 and 10.5 respectively.

Last time I looked (may have been changed) the Civic was shown as 0-62 as 10.2 across all specs.

The same as the Civic the emissions and mpg are highest for the S with the the next specs equipped with 17" wheels being slightly worse.

Obviously heavier cars are going to be slow 0-62, but what I am puzzled by is the claim that the HR-V with it's 100kg extra weight over the Civic is apparently no slower to accelerate to 62mph?

Based on the figures and the equipment, I am really temped by the HR-V....it's not as fast as i'd like but if it's do-able when I get the lease list at the end of the year I might go for it....
I'm tempted too... As long as it 'Feels' like a SUV version of the Civic rather than the Jazz (I'm fully aware the Civic is based on the Jazz, but you know what I mean)

#16 · (Edited)
Interesting comments and info'.

You did explain you fitted town and country tyres to your 4WD. I expect this combination will provide the best available solution to snow/winter roads which standard fit tyres can't match.(You did say you saw other 4WD 's sliding about!)

Based on my experiences I really would'nt write off the 2WD winter tyre combination. (But the proviso being I live in a suburban environment with just a few hills thrown in for good measure !)

#17 · (Edited)
Whereas I don't question your experience, be aware that 2wd and 4wd are and always will be completely different beasts because 2wd cannot ever have the grip or stability of a 4wd whatever the tyres . There are 2 things you simply cannot get away from with 2wd:

1. The power is split between 2 wheels, so in a 140bhp car, you potentially have 70 bhp to each wheel. OK I know that is a bit simplistic as you don't set off under full throttle, but the point is with 4wd that same power is split between 4 wheels so with a 50:50 split, each wheel only has 1/2 as much power to put down. Hence why 4wd sets off better when its slippery. 1/2 the power and torque to each wheel whatever the throttle opening. No tyre can ever be a substitute for that.

2. 4wd has superior stability for the reasons I mentioned above ie a 2wd tries to spin around the remaining wheel with grip when a wheel loses traction, whereas with 4wd, the other 3 wheels pushing on each corner tend to keep the vehicle straight.

The reason I put Town and Country tyres on my Rav4 was simply to enhance it's performance in snow further as they have a greater tread depth and the tread self cleans better. Ordinary tyres have less tread depth and thus less grip but also snow tends to clog the tread pattern turning them into slicks.

So tyres will help but 2wd will never be 4wd

#19 ·
Not sure I agree that 4wd is the full answer, in situations where there is a loss of grip. Without a centre diff-lock you have a one-wheel drive car and with a centre diff-lock a 2-wheel drive car. You need a centre diff-lock and a locking rear diff to have 4x4 and hardly any cars have this. Tyres provide the grip, so tyre choice trumps gadgets:)

#21 ·
I think this is missing from the HR-V variants:

1.6 160PS Twin Turbo Diesel
Make it available in 2WD 6 Speed Manual or 4WD CVT Auto and in SE, SE Navi and EX Specs.

By all means Honda, have the more efficient options, but offer something a bit more satisfying....it would still be a pretty efficient offering too!

#23 ·
Just a quick note, my good friend who works at the Honda factory had the new Jazz to tryout and i had a look at it and i must say it looks the part and the build quality is a lot better than anything i've looked at recently by Honda.

He is hoping to bring a HR-V home this week so will let you know more.

I see the "Official" launch for both cars is today

#24 ·
Saw the HRV this last weekend when looking at the new Jazz. HRV looks good in the flesh - I quite liked it (but didn't drive it)

#36 ·
Pretty sure the Honda would walk all over the Nissan in build quality though....my colleague is a Leaf owner and he likes it but doesn't rate the build quality....having been in a Nissan Note myself I can see why.....plus the Juke is considerably smaller inside I believe?...

Also, I quite like the Qashqai styling but the Juke is a bit too awkward looking for my liking.

But like you say, you can't argue with the performance options available for the Juke....nobody says you shouldn't have eco options but you should have "eco performance" options still.

#37 ·
I recommend that if anyone has 10 mins, go and look at he HR-V. Brilliant car!

It's like a Civic on steroids, but with a more premuim feel. Ok, maybe that's do to some chrome inside and out, shiny black plastic.(Top of dash is hard plastic, but not a big issue compared to rest of interior. But this is a solid well made car (apparently made in Mexico)

I was concerned it would be somewhere between the Jazz and Civic because a lot of the US and Aus reviews mention its based on the Fit (there name for Jazz), but it's not... It's above the Civic IMO.

Go and have look, it's impressive!

#40 · (Edited)
I recommend that if anyone has 10 mins, go and look at he HR-V. Brilliant car!
Go and have look, it's impressive!
Not seen it in person only only video, but I already have no doubt that it's a brilliant car.

My issue is with that performance, I simply don't want one no matter how nice it looks inside or out as there are other manufacturers with equally nice cars that offer performance as well!

For a start the VW Tiguan is just about to get a makeover and has 148, 178, 217 bhp engines:

So HRV has serious competition.

Yeah, now compare them both with winter tyres - the 4x4 has just left the stadium.

Biased test if I ever saw one, and one obvious issue, if that was a real hill, neither car made it to the top. Put winter tyres on the 4x4 and I bet it would have done.

I used to run Town and Country on my RAV, a 1/2 way tyre between full winters and summers, and I never got stuck.

#38 ·
There's a problem with that Bog, if I go i'll probably want one ;)

I've got to make sure it's not only on the list of company cars I can have in December first ;)

I'd love the EX but could probably settle for the SE Navi....though it does have less gadgets than my Civic which would be a shame!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.