2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

8th gen type r will not start

9K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  jda050 
#1 ·
Any ideas why my 57 plate fn2 cranks over but will not start, fuel pump does not prime and when cranking over nothing not a flicker on the rev counter needle.

#8 ·
Thanks guys, checked and charged battery, just over 9 volts under load when cranking, checked fuel pump fuse no2 and all the others all are good, can anyone tell me where the fuel pump relay is as I need to check what's going on there next got power through cut off switch going to take out centre consol and check top of pump also. Should I get 12v at pump and can't work out why rev counter not working.

#13 ·
Some good ideas on the link provided by Flashy... Although there a flat battery was the reason.
My favoured idea from there is something i was trying on my ST170 when crankshaft sensor was playing up - stick the car on 2nd gear, get out and move the car backwards so cranhshaft move (not much, about two "takts", then get inside and try to start again.
If you can locate crankshaft sensor (i don't know where is it on CTR) just unplug it and plug it again. On my ST this helps.

#14 ·
Def not flywheel, starter cranks engine over fine this is an electrical problem, if crankshaft sensor is faulty would it stop fuel pump from priming and would fuel pump not prime if it's out of fuel? My gauge is reading half full but this could be wrong but I think pump should still try and prime.

#15 ·
Not sure if fuel pump will work or not, but my ST was cranking like hell, but won't start. I actually only come up with this since i was doing same thing on one of my motorbikes and wonder if it would work in the car - it did with Ford.
But you are right - fuel pump check make sense as well.

#18 ·
Had another look today, the block of 4 relays under steering wheel near fuse box, 3 gray colour and one small black relay think these might be something to do with ignition and maybe fuel pump but when I removed them and tryied to test them all they done was blow the fuse on my test set up I made from an old battery and my multimeter. tested the ohms through 85 86 and not reading any resistance on 3 of the relays and when I switch ignition on and hit the start button it just pops fuse 8 now, so of to breakers yard and will try and get some relays and see what happens. The pump def works as put a feed from 12v bat strait to it and it made a pumping noise did try to start it but still nothing, how can I check if it's the immobiliser that's playing up?

#23 ·
Thanks ecu has been sent for repair but first company I sent it to was ecu doctor couldn't fix it, must say they are very helpful and have suggested I send it to avilic for some more indepth testing so fingers crossed it can be repaired, thanks allagios can you pm me the part number, how does it work if I plug you're in what do I need to do to then get mine started, surely keys, immobiliser, will need to be coded.

#24 ·
Incidently, (im not saying this is the cause) there have been cases where a vehicle with auto wipers, has been parked up overnight with the stalk still rotated to the auto position.
Overnight there has been a heavy frost or snow, causing the windscreen to freeze over. In the morning the unsuspecting driver jumps in the car and fires it up to get the heaters going, the first thing the wipers try to do is...wipe.. but they cant as they are stuck solid.. this can actually cause a power surge which in turn shorts out the ecu. Honestly make sure that auto wiper function goes to off before parking up..
As I say, probably not the cause in this case, and it is not that common... But it can happen, prevention is always better than cure.

I thankyou, Goodnight.

And good luck with the repair mate

Reactions: SteveT and marley70
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.