2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Oil leak

11K views 21 replies 4 participants last post by  Fossie 
#1 ·
Are there any specific areas for oil leaks on the FN2 Type R. Just been told there's a small leak which seems to be dripping from the back of the under tray. I was thinking that having had a recent service maybe it was a poor or loose oil filter. Any suggestions at all
Regards
Lee

#2 ·
Are there any specific areas for oil leaks on the FN2 Type R. Just been told there's a small leak which seems to be dripping from the back of the under tray. I was thinking that having had a recent service maybe it was a poor or loose oil filter. Any suggestions at all
Regards
Lee

#3 · (Edited)
The oil filter is at the back on the engine on an FN2 right, so a dribble after a service could be the cause.

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/type-r/112209-help-oil-leak.html

Loose engine or gearbox sump plugs might be another possibility...

Whatever is causing the leak does need looking at tho to confirm, the only way is to get the under tray off and check properly.

Also get it check PDQ.

#4 ·
Could be rocker gasket, mine was leaking at the back and was running down the engine and dripping off the bottom. Wasn't alot and only noticeable if you got under the car and looked at the undertake.

Worth a look though

Reactions: Fossie
#7 ·
could be that its just old oil dripping off in the rain, i know last week when it rained heavy near me i could see oil running from the front of my car when i parked on a hill. that's because it dumped its oil just after Christmas and the underside is still slightly oily.

i would jack it up, take the service tray off and have a good look at where the oil is and give it a clean. if it looks like its coming from high up the engine its probably rocker gasket, and you will easily be able to see if its leaking oil filter/sump plug.

Reactions: Fossie and Farqui
#8 ·
Ok so had a look the best I can today. Oil filter and rocker gasket appear fine. Defo a leak somewhere on the drivers side. Is they anything between the rocker and oil filter that could leak. Looks like I my have to remove the engine mount to get s better look

#9 ·
i think the vtec solenoid is on the back left of the engine, you can see easier if you take the scuttle panel off.

Reactions: Fossie
#14 ·
In my experience with the diesel, it can be a right pig to undo the crank pulley bolt. You will need the 50mm locking tool to do it the 'official' way but I'd instead advise you to remove all spark plugs, fit a decent (6 point) socket to the crank pulley bolt, run a breaker bar from that socket to the floor, then operate the starter motor in bursts until the bolt comes undone... That's what I had to to, after burning out my impact gun and also snapping several socket set extension rods trying to do it the official way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.