2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

09 Civic Type S

6K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Jooky85 
#1 ·
Afternoon all!

Quick question if I may. I'm considering getting myself a new style Civic Type S (with the funky black grill similiar to the Type R). However, I'm intrigued about the iPod connectivity.

I rang a dealer earlier and said I wanted iPod connectivity, and was told i'd get access to my playlists via a connector that'd they'd throw in for free if I bought the car. That doesnt sound like what I'm after to me. I'm aware with the previous Civic's before the 09 model that Honda could install an connector that effectively treated your playlists like they were CD's in a CD changer (correct?), and im thinking this is what theyre on about here.
What I'm after, and I think is what the new 09 model comes with, is to be able to scroll through Albums/Artists/Playlists using the car stereo/steering wheel - and not be restricted to having to create playlists.

Can anyone shed some light onto this?

Much appreciated all!

#2 ·
Sounds like the same system, 180quid for a cable which does nowt but play...might as well just take your ipod shuffle along for the ride eh. Agree, i like the type R grille tho...but.

Whats with the new type S petrol only available with a 1.4Vtec? or am i missing something? Mine's a 2008 model registered 09 with the 1.8Vtec, great car, quick enough for me but not modern hot hatch quick. Swap it for a 1.4???? no way!

#3 ·
It does sound like the dealer was describing the old optional connector.
You are correct in your description of how that worked.

Connecting an mp3 player to the USB on an 09 car gives you much more control.

As I don't have an 09 myself, I am not sure if an ipod would be more limited than a "normal" USB player.

#5 ·
Cheers for the replies guys.

Im off to see a dealer about a new 09 tomorrow anyway. Hoping to get a test drive and see what sort of price I can talk him down. Decided id like the 09 iPod connectivity if I can get it, but dont want to pay over the odds for it so im not too bothered.
Dont want the old style cable either, id rather just stick with the Aux in which i believe the 09 comes with yeah?

We'll see whether ive bought a new car this tomorrow hey?!

#9 ·
Nice one. I'd recommend just using the USB port on the 09 model by sticking all your tracks on a USB key.

Then again, I'm not sure how iTunes works. I suspect if you've bought all your tracks through iTunes its got all the DRM funkiness meaning it can only be used in conjuction with an iPod connected to iTunes. Rather than just having all your music as seperate mp3 files from...ripped CDs...yeah.

Damn iPods *grumble grumble*

#13 ·
Nice one. I'd recommend just using the USB port on the 09 model by sticking all your tracks on a USB key.

Then again, I'm not sure how iTunes works. I suspect if you've bought all your tracks through iTunes its got all the DRM funkiness meaning it can only be used in conjuction with an iPod connected to iTunes. Rather than just having all your music as seperate mp3 files from...ripped CDs...yeah.

Damn iPods *grumble grumble*
Incorrect.

You can easily convert them back to MP3 to burn on a disc or stick on a memory stick.

Pah to Itunes!!!

Audio Sound Converter Software - Convert wav, mp3, wma.

#14 ·
I certainly did, managed to talk a good £2k off the asking price, the poor lad was desperate for a sale!

Ricky - Yeah i believe it is replacing Nighthawk, its certainly a new colour. Theres two blacks, a bronzey black and the crystal.

Waiting for the phonecall tomorrow to tell me when i can go pick it up:D

#20 ·
Ah ok, well i agree, get a std one now. GT is lovely, but a bit pricey for the (can easily live without) satnav/electric mirrors n glass roof etc. I picked up an ok Satnav kit the other day for 70quid. The retrofit (none of the std type S's sitting in a field from last years production had it) Honda one would cost just shy of 1,800quid fitted. I guess it includes a new dash etc.

From what i'm reading on here it seems that some of the troubles occur with the GT kit, auto wipers/lights maybe causing flat battery if left on with the car parked up for a couple of weeks etc?

So the std 2008 1.8 type S seems to be good value? Glad i got one in Apr and didn't hold out for the 09 model in the end ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.