2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Strange noise on CTR :(

6K views 39 replies 8 participants last post by  Typersam1 
#1 ·
Literally after hitting 160k miles and 3.5 years commuting 120 miles a day the car has developed a fault. On the day before I start my new job too, which is only a 5 mile commute...

Anyway started up and it made a whistle noise like a cricket, sounds like it's coming from the pulley area, drive a further 8 miles to see if it was just something stuck and it still made the same noise but with intermittent knocking which still seems to be the pulley area..

Driven a further 100 miles now in Manchester and it's still doing it, however it seems to go away then when I start it up again it makes the noise again... any ideas? And how much will it cost?

Thanks

#2 ·
Literally after hitting 160k miles and 3.5 years commuting 120 miles a day the car has developed a fault. On the day before I start my new job too, which is only a 5 mile commute...

Anyway started up and it made a whistle noise like a cricket, sounds like it's coming from the pulley area, drive a further 8 miles to see if it was just something stuck and it still made the same noise but with intermittent knocking which still seems to be the pulley area..

Driven a further 100 miles now in Manchester and it's still doing it, however it seems to go away then when I start it up again it makes the noise again... any ideas? And how much will it cost?

https://youtu.be/1Aom5GjSp-M

Thanks

Sounds like a water pump bearing on its way out to me....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 · (Edited)
Sounds expensive :(

Is there anyway I would know if it actually goes? I'm just not clear why it knocks as well

Also as the other chap said, could be a pulley.
Are you getting any leaks under the car? Losing water? Then I'd definitely say a water pump. Doesn't mean it isn't if there are no leaks but you'd be best of getting it checked by a garage or if you are handy with a set of spanners do it yourself.
The lock noise sounds identical to a pump bearing that is worn and has play in it. When spinning this is the noise it makes until it finally lets go.

Take the drive belt off and see if the noise remains.

#6 ·
Not comfortable taking car apart so a garage needs to have a look, are they big jobs especially the water pump? I hope it's just a pulley rather than waterpump... I couldn't tell if there is any water leaking... is there a quick way to check other than the car over heating?

#8 ·
If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, I'd defiantly get the pulley checked first as it's the cheapest and quickest job to do.

For a garage the water pump is dead easy. Agreed about 1.5 hours labour. That job may be included on the Honda fixed priced repair so could be worth checking with a dealer also.

Check the coolant expansion tank bottle. Not the easiest but make a note of where the water line is cold and check the next day, again when the car is cold. If it's dropped significantly I'm almost certain it would be the water pump.

#10 ·
When you mean tensioner is that a seperate part to the waterpump yeh? Will try call a mechanic, I've just moved another city so it ain't ideal and who to take it to. What would happen if I drive longer on it or a week? What implications would it be if it was a tensioner / pulley / waterpump? Is the waterpump the unit as a whole yeh?

#11 ·
If it's a tensioner or pulley, you can drive it, but if the noise gets worse try and avoid it. I think it's unlikely to be the pump.

The tensioner is separate to the pump and other pulleys - it also comes as an assembled unit, hence the cost. Easy enough to check pulley bearings for play.

#12 ·
I'm more worried about overheating or if contents of the pump going into engine... pulleys may lock up right...hate worrying about cars :( thanks for advice

I tried to wiggle the belt but I guess it's not as simple as that lol, why do u not think it's the pump? Does it not make a noise like that?

#16 ·
Just comes back from garage, it appears that the aux belt fitted on the car is too small as the mechanic couldn't even take it off with the tensioner fully extended, went to try
Take the belt off from the bottom and it looks like the 2 piece pulley has worn as a result of this... need a new bottom crank pulley, new belt and maybe a PCV valve :/

#21 ·
It's he garage I been going to for about 4 years! Surely they wouldn't fit a belt too tight?! This guy said normally the belt would just slip off when the tensioner was extended... not sure on cost, labour be an hr but the belt is like £59 from Honda not sure how much bottom pulley is.. I know top pulley is like £60, will have to search lings catalogue

#24 ·
I don't want to mess about neither, want something that works instead of getting a second hand :/ o well I'll have to bite the bullet, need to give this guy a call again as he's still not got back to me on when he can do the job, don't want to leave it any longer

Can I do severe damage if I keep driving on it? The rubber on the inner pulley has been worn it seems

#25 ·
If the pulley has separated, it could potentially be dangerous if it splits entirely. Think fast-spinning pulley bits ricocheting around your engine bay. It's more likely it'll just fall off though.

Having said that, mine broke as well, and it was separated for ages without me knowing it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.