2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Nearly there now!

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  TTDegs 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I had decided to take out gap insurance on my new civic when it arrives next Thursday at 2pm. However, having read my insurance cover and found out that if an accident occurs during the first year and damages the car beyond 60% of its value the car will be replaced with a new vehicle anyway. So I am setting up the gap insurance to run from the 90 day limit for new cars, this gives an extra three months cover at the end of the contract.

Just had the garage contact me with regards the choice of number plates (several days after some of the forum members) The choice was poor :( so I contacted the DVLA just down the road and purchased a number plate with my initials on for a couple of hundred pounds. Why spoil the ship for a halfpenny of tar. I’m now skint!!!

LAST BUT CERTAINLY NOT LEAST I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP AND ADVICE OVER THE LAST FEW MONTHS AROUND THE PURCHASE OF CIVIC AND ANY EXTRAS TO CONSIDER. :D

Regards

Kerry
2.2 cdti NHB leather upholstery, glass roof, parking sensors etc

See less See more
#2 ·
nice one Kerry! :D:D:D

Just as a word of advice (hopefully not too late!)

Dlrs are notoriously rubbish at registering and taxing cars with brand new personal plates, and it's a world of grief trying to get insurance docs etc to them, which then don't match the registered owner...

I'm not sure if you can still do it this way, but might be worth looking in to:

Take whatever plate they have on offer
Take the Honda 7 day insurance deal (think it's still available?)
Let them tax the car with that plate on

drive away with a big :D

sort out your own insurance docs with your new plate
take said docs along to local DVLA (or post office?) and get the tax disc made out to the new plate
afix said plates (malpates.co.uk or fancyplates.co.uk :))

grin even bigger :D

#6 ·
IF the dlr can get it all sorted out in time it's less hassle for you. :)

BUT if they can't you are then left with not being able to take the car away until they do :(

having been there, done that (at one stage had the dlr talking in one ear on my works mobile, and the lease co talking in my other ear on my personal mobile :lol:) - personally I'd play it safe if you can, and just drive the car away :)

One off grief of sorting out your plates pales into nothing compared to not being able to drive it away for 3 days...

#9 ·
if you buy from DVLA (as Kerry has), the original fee includes the fee for putting on it the first vehicle :D (or it used to, don't think it's changed)

Buying from regdirect or personalplatesrus or whoever, then yep, you're spot on :D

#8 ·
Not sure I would have personalised plates.

If you accidentally cut someone up who is not very forgiving it is easier for them to remember your plates.

I've just taken the number that was given, nice and obscure :)

#10 ·
This thread has cost me £399 today.

I read the posts yesterday then out of curiosity did a few searches on the DVLA website.

I found a plate that I thought was ok and showed my wife last night. She liked it and said we should buy it for our new car which is due next month.

I ordered it today and rang my dealer who said he'd get it put on the car when it arrives.

Incidently, other sites had the same registration advertised at about £850. That sure is some markup. :eek:

#13 ·
Always worth checking DVLA out first :D

don't you just love this place - an easy way to work out how to spend your money :lol:
Totally - sense just stopped me spending £400. After reading this thread I checked out the DVLA and they have AF07 LEX - how exciting! Now I know what to do with my company bonus!!:rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.