2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

GAP Insurance ?

4K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  daveash 
#1 ·
I just wondered what peoples views where on this GAP insurance ? I know that any insurance is based on the risk factor ! But I would like to know if many people thought it was worth paying the premium and what the uptake was and wether people took the Honder dealers insurance or got there own ?

#2 ·
Get it(Y), It will be worth it.

Right, say your car is £15

Basically if you right off your car/ serious damage etc... your insurance will give you say? £9000 back, but with the Honda gap insurance, Honda will pay out the difference for you, so they will give you the £6000 to make up the value of the car when you got it.

#3 ·
I agree, get it - but don't go for the Honda policy, it's overpriced (probably to pay for the sales person's commision!) and offers few benefits.

Try searching on line, there are plenty of companies offering better cover. I went with http://www.click4gap.com after reading a very good reveiw in the paper. With them you can adjust the level of cover or even get a replacement vehicle policy.

Hope this helps.

#4 ·
Competitive

Just about to take deluivery of a 2.2 sport and whilst in the showroom was given the 'patter' about GAP insurance (apparently its a legal obligation for them to inform you??).

Anyway having done some homework it would seem to be a 'must have'...

Hondas version is overpriced (remember its underwritten by an insurance Co anyway) but this is very competitive..

http://www.gapmyinsurance.co.uk

#8 ·
I had gap insurance with my Type R in 2003 which I purchased woth the car. Six months before it was up I had my car stolen and I was actually rather unclear as to what to expect from the Gap.

This particular policy stated that it would give me the value of a replacement vehicle. Rather fortuitously, I actually *made* money out of it as the only replacement vehicles were the higher specced ones and that it was paid out upon.

The Gap didn't pay out cash but gave me a mandate to authorise payment for a new car at the dealer I purchased the vehicle from. I put the money down as a deposit on a new Type R which will hopefully arrive in March.

I am not sure what would have happened if the dealer had gone bust - I'd assume they would have had to give me cash.

I have purchased another Gap policy (again the one the dealer offered)with my new car. If I have a claim this time then I only get the difference up to the invoice price of the car I purchased and not the cost of a replacement.

#9 ·
Can you only buy gap insurance with a new car. I'm looking to buy a 1 year old Civic and this gap insurance sounds like a must have?

#11 ·
dunno if I'd go as far as 'must have' - it's an insurance policy at the end of the day.
If you don't think you'll ever need it, then it's your choice :)

However, I personally would recommend thinking long and hard about it - it's not a great deal of money for the premium, and it could save you a lot of money if you ever have a total loss claim... :D

to (miss) quote "Are you feeling lucky?" :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.