2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1.6 diesel service

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  nturnb 
#1 ·
So today I tackled a full service on my 2015 1.6 tourer. Mileage currently 33000 miles

There was nothing wrong with the way the car drove but the MoT a couple of months ago had brought up an advisory for worn front pads so I decided to do these at the same time

I bought a full service kit and front pads from Cox as I wanted to use genuine parts

I'd read up on here about what to do and for the most part it's pretty simple

As jacking up the car seems difficult I decided to make some wooden blocks with a slot cut in it to enable my trolley jack to be used on the sill jacking points and made up out of a scrap bit of 3x2. This protected the sill from any metal on metal contact that might damage the rustproofing

I removed the 7 crosshead screws holding the aluminium undertray on. These were tight but with a decent screwdriver came out fine.

I drained the oil using a 17mm spanner and removed the filler cap. Then, using the universal 3 legged oil filter tool I removed the filter. In future I'm going to try and buy the correct tool however it did the job despite denting the old filter slightly. Once drained I replaced the sump plug washer supplied with the filter and hand tightened the new filter after smearing a film of oil over the seal. I filled with exactly 4.7 litres of Mobil-1 supplied with the service kit. I dipped the undertray screws in the old engine oil and replaced the undertray

At this point I was going to replace the diesel filter. To start with I couldn't even work out where it was but it's behind the oil filter and is very inaccessible. In the end I decided to leave well alone, you really do need a ramp as access is very difficult. It seems there is something that screws into the bottom of the filter (water trap ??) and several bolts to undo that look like a thin 1/4 inch extension would be required. A job for another day

I unclipped the air filter, 4 clips which can be undone by hand but you do need to loosen the intake hose, I used a small 8mm socket for this. The old filter just lifts out and was extremely dirty, looks unlikely it was changed last year when Honda serviced it. Very easy.

The pollen filter is extremely easy, just open the glove box, slightly flex the sides to unhook the door then allow it to drop fully down. Then just press each side of the filter cover to remove. Slide the old filter out making a note of the orientation, there is an arrow on the filter denoting direction of flow. It was pretty dirty.

The brakes were very straightforward, they're the same type as fitted to many German cars being identical in design to my BMW. Remove the two rubber caps and unscrew the slide pins with a 7 mm hex key, Prise off the spring clip then lever the caliper apart slightly until the caliper can be removed. I used a wind back tool to push the piston back. Make sure you ensure the master cylinder doesn't overflow. Installed the new pads with a bit of the supplied brake grease on the backs, tighten up the slide pins and don't forget the rubber caps and spring clip. Very straightforward if you've changed pads before.

A quick visual check under the bonnet, clutch and brake fluid OK, water OK, top up the screen wash. That was it for the oily bits

I then updated the satnav maps, again really easy with the Garmin system

Finally a hoover inside and a wash outside and all's good for a while. I'd recently replaced all wiper blades

The total cost for the service parts and brake pads was 168.96 with forum discount. The cost of the service from Honda would be £280 plus £120 for the pads so a considerable saving (although the Honda service does have a brake fluid change which I haven't done, I think every 5 years or so is fine for that) and I still have to change the diesel filter at some point

If I could work out how to post pictures I would

Hopefully these notes might be helpful to anyone thinking of doing a service. Other than the diesel filter it's all very easily do-able

See less See more
#5 ·
Possibly someone (like me) who felt it was just too difficult to do themselves

Although I will definitely change it at some point.

My last car, a diesel Galaxy 1.9TDI only ever had the filter changed once in my 11 years of ownership so I'm not unduly worried I'm still on the original at 33k miles

#6 ·
My old 2.2 i-CTDI civic didn't get one in 150k and ran perfect on Supermarket fuel for all of them... :grin2: Didn't change it for the exact reason as you.. This may be one filter I need to take to Honda to change.

#7 ·
I'm genuinely surprised by how many people Self-Service a relatively new car that's probably still within warranty. I get the benefits on an older/cheaper car of course, my wifes 2008 Citroen C4 wont see a main dealer again and what I can do, I will.

When I purchased my 2015 car, I had the option to pay £550 for 5 years of services, definitely more cost effective than going to a dealer (3rd service just done was over £400!!) or even doing it myself, especially given the resale value of a car with no dealer stamps.

I'm intrigued as to why people make this decision, maybe I'm missing something, happy to have my opinion changed!!

:)

#8 · (Edited)
Do it as per Honda Schedule using OEM parts and your warranty will be valid. In fact, I go over and above and change Oil and filters sooner than the schedule suggests and document it all. You don't have to go to Honda to get ripped off to keep up your warranty. In fact, check the the picture of the filter, this is after Honda allegedly changed it after the cars 2nd service 6 month prior so you'll see why I'm sceptical of Dealer History, in fact I wouldn't trust one. Do it myself and sleep safely at night knowing that what is meant to be changed actually is.

Opinions vary but the above is mine.. :grin2:

Attachments

#9 ·
My car is just over 3 years old so now out of warranty

My supposedly full service last year almost definitely didn't include a new air filter, a cheap and extremely easy to replace part so other than an oil change I cant really be sure how thorough it would be.

I have saved over 200 quid for a few hours work, if I'd taken it to my dealer I would have spent time either waiting for it to be done whilst I waited or spending time driving to and from the dealer twice.

I have got to know my car a little better and am confident the correct parts have been fitted correctly.

As my car was ex-demo the £555 servicing offer unfortunately wasn't available, if it had been it would have been a no-brainer

I bought my last car brand new and kept it 11 years and once the warranty expired I did all the servicing myself. Once you're familiar with it and have bought any special tools it's going to be easy keeping on top of things

Main dealers are OK to a point but are often pretty expensive and for routine serving you won't get an experienced mechanic (or technician or whatever they're called these days) just a junior in all probablity who probably knows little more about your car than you do.

Plus, I actually enjoy getting stuck in and genuinely get satisfaction from doing things myself

But, ETTO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.