Civinfo - View Single Post - What a difference 500ml makes
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 14th July 2018, 17:58 Thread Starter
Bonsai
Supporter

Car: 2018 1.5 Sport Plus CVT Red
What a difference 500ml makes

Oh boy, I just traded in my 1.0SR for a 1.5 Sport Plus and the difference is like night and day. The 1.0 with the CVT was, IMO a very bad match and although I really tried to like it, I just didn't. It's not to say it was slow, not by any means, it was just the way it operated, sending the revs up to the 3K to 4K range at any and every opportunity making for very noisy and unrefined, jerky progress.

The 1.5 with 4 cylinders is immeasurably smoother and so quiet you're not really aware of it and with the CVT it's as smooth as silk with the revs staying low, between 1,500 to 2,000 unless you really want to push it a bit and even then it only goes up to 2,500 and you're pushed back into the seat. At 70 mph it settles down to 1,900 rpm whereas the 1.0 would have been at 2,250.

I love the Civic as a product which is why I've gone for another one, I just made the wrong choice of engine 1st time round. Pretty much all the reviews say it, the 6 speed manual is the best for the 1.0 and the CVT is the perfect match for the 1.5, should have paid more attention to that.

The adaptive dampers in the Sport Plus do improve the ride quality in normal mode too so that makes the car even smoother.

Another thread has mentioned Aircon noise in the 1.5 and I've got it too, it's like a very muted and distant "mooing" sound, like when you run a wet finger round the rim of a wine glass as someone else described it. It's very faint and I think I can live with it, but it's definitely there. So far no squealing breaks, but I guess time will tell on that one.

All in all, I'm delighted, it's exactly the car I wanted now, and I think this will be a keeper for sure.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome