2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Wanting to upgrade sound system totally lost

Upgrades 
1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Omgshane 
#1 ·
So I got my civic 2 weeks ago, I want to upgrade the sound system but I'm totally lost in the technicalities of everything, doesn't help my brain likes to know the ins and outs of things and I end up over thinking just about everything. I'm looking at a branded double din to start off then I want to uprate the tweeters, the door and rear speakers and add an underseat subwoofer.

Any advice anyone can give me any advice or links to where I can try to learn the technicalities of everything that would be awesome. Otherwise here are some questions I have.

I'm currently wondering what kind of amp do I need, I am wondering if the double din will be enough to power the two tweeters once upgraded and if I can then use a 5 channel amp to power the door and rear speakers and an underseat subwoofer. Will the 50watts from the double din be enough for the tweeters or can I somehow put two of each 50w channels from the din into each of the tweeters or am I being ridiculous (total noob here)

Will I need to run new speaker wires to all of the speakers? Is an underseat subwoofer the way to go? What size speakers do I need and is there any particular types I need to look out for/learn about and/or where can I find out what I need. What does 2ohm and 4ohm mean? Do I need some sort of equalizer to control the wattage going to each speaker so I don't blow anything? What is a crossover? What is gain? How do I wire in a switch to control bass?

Basically I'm pretty lost the amp I am looking at is an JBL-7535, that's as far as I have shopped for yet, apart from double din which I imagine any pioneer/kenwood/alpine will be good, will be looking for one with a reverse camera plugin.

Hope I'm not asking too much, any advice would be much appreciated

See less See more
#3 ·
I had a basic CD player in my ex when I got it sound wasn't great (I listen to rock and metal) sounded rough . I took CD player out and put a punpkin double din in and the sound changed straight away sounds a load better without stock radio.

I'm looking at changing speakers anyway for some better bass due to type of music.
but I recommend waiting until you have the head unit in before thinking about speakers , you will be surprised

#4 ·
I agree here, once I installed the kenwood unit a few weeks ago the speakers came alive although they are lacking in some bass.

What I am thinking about doing is using a spare wheel sub such as the Nakamichi NBF150 (Can't post links yet :( ) in the spare wheel to add some bass and use a high pass filter on the door speakers through the headunit to limit distortion, I just need to measure the spare wheel to see if this will somewhat fit inside it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.