2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Too much oil

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  scottyr 
#1 · (Edited)
Recently had the timing chain replaced and at the same time had the oil changed. Having checked the oil level I've noticed it's considerably higher than the top notch on the dip stick (see attachment).

Is it a problem at this level? Car doesn't really burn any oil, so it won't get any lower over time. Line Material property Font

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Depends on when / how you took the reading.
If the motor had been warm and the car was completely flat I'd say that's pushing it.

Once oil circulates around the head etc and fully warm switch it off and take a reading after a few minutes ensuring the car's flat. On the kink is fine, I tend to overfill for the track but that much above the kink is quite excessive. The main thing with overfilling is if you take a reading and it's frothy / full of air bubbles then it 100% needs reducing / oil change.

Reactions: scottyr
#3 ·
Thanks for the reply musegroove, appreciate it.

The reading was taken on flat ground after my 45 min drive to work and the engine had been off for about 5 mins.

Haven't noticed any frothing but the car generally isn't behaving itself. Getting alot of vibration on idle, like its going to stall and poor fuel economy. Probably not related but worth mentioning.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Id certainly look at dropping a little at that rate, garage with a sucker through the dipstick hole may charge you a fiver.

Reactions: scottyr
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.